Best Celebrity excursion

WeLuv2Cruz13

I see lots of people who are braver than I am booking outside companies - it would make me so nervous that we would be late that I would never enjoy my day. We had a bad experience in Conzumel with a driver that tried to overcharge us that I never want to do that again. Question - we are going to San Juan, St. Thomas, St. Marten in June (husband, myself and 13 year old son) and wondering what your favorite Celebrity tour is or favorite thing on your own to do? :cool:

Thanks

P.S. - yes I know about the other port board.

It's not a ship tour but San Juan is very easy to do on your own and you will have control of when you get back since the ship is right there in Old San Juan. Easy to get off and walk up to the forts. Your son would probably enjoy that (my nieces loved the forts) They close at 6 pm so then you can walk the streets of Old San Juan and have plenty of time to get back to the ship (assuming w/ that itinerary you get in at 3:30 and leave at 10pm or so)

San Juan is a great port to DIY. Can take the free trolley or walk to the forts. 1 ticket gets you into both forts and then we stopped for lunch on the way back to the ship.

In st Martin we took an ATV tour. It was a good time and if it eases your fears, all the ATV tours are from the same ATV rental location with the same guides. The local tour is just a smaller group and longer route than the ship tour.

St thomas we took a catamaran to St. John's. Don't recall which company we used.

Sorry you had a bad experience in Cozumel but we've had really great experiences doing DIY and independent tours. We always plan to get back at least an hour before all aboard so we aren't stressed. We just find the large group tours more stressful, constantly stopping and waiting.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I see lots of people who are braver than I am booking outside companies - it would make me so nervous that we would be late that I would never enjoy my day. We had a bad experience in Conzumel with a driver that tried to overcharge us that I never want to do that again. Question - we are going to San Juan, St. Thomas, St. Marten in June (husband, myself and 13 year old son) and wondering what your favorite Celebrity tour is or favorite thing on your own to do? :cool:

.hanks

P.S. - yes I know about the other port board.

The best tour I took in St. Martin was the Americas Cup Yacht Races. We had booked it through RCI. Actually did it twice. Here is a link to their site. https://www.12metre.com/

I am sure your 13 year old would love it. All peoplecrew the boat in an actual race! Be sure to watch the video.

Loved the Rhino Riders on St Martin, on our own walk in San Juan and in St Thomas we normally snorkel with lunch at Water Island. Rhino and snorkel were ship tours. Also, like to just walk to beach in St Martin, rent chairs and umbrella and watch the waves (not sure a 13 year old would like this though).

Celebrity: Century --1998 & 2013; Constellation -- 2007 & 2010; Solstice -- 2009; Silhouette -- 2011; Eclipse -- 2014 & 2015

Royal: Grandeur of the Seas -- 2008 x2; Jewel of the Seas -- 2007; Monarch of the Seas -- 2002

Princess: Sun Princess -- 2004 & 2006; Caribbean Princess -- 2005

I actually looked at that one. Do you think that is one that sells out fast? Doesn't look like it holds that many people so I wondered. I did think that would be an awesome experience. Did you book in advance of traveling?

Depending on the bookings, they have 3 yachts - always at least 2 in the race. If I recall, about 15 people on the yacht. I don't know if Celebrity offers it. If not, book it online yourself. They are located close to the cruise port.

Also you might want to go to Maho beach to watch the planes land. google it as well. It is a short taxi ride to the beach

The best tour I took in St. Martin was the Americas Cup Yacht Races. We had booked it through RCI. Actually did it twice. Here is a link to their site. https://www.12metre.com/

I am sure your 13 year old would love it. All peoplecrew the boat in an actual race! Be sure to watch the video.

Yep, one of the best excursions ever. Amazing that you actually race real America's Cup sailboats, and you are the crew.

Also, right up there with one of my favorite excursions in PR was the segway tour. That was a real blast.

Hi - while in St. Thomas we did the B.O.S.S. excursion. It was expensive, but one of the best excursions we've ever taken.

http://www.bossusvi.com/

If there is still an Atlantis sub in St. Thomas that is another great excursion in our opinion - we did it in Aruba, but the experience should be the same.

http://www.atlantisadventures.shoreadventures.net/

This article mentions both as well as the semi-sub which we have done several times in different locations. The semi-sub is OK, but not as good as the submarine in our humble opinion.

http://experience.usatoday.com/caribbean/story/best-of-caribbean/2015/12/17/best-caribbean-underwater-adventures-excursions/77432030/

For something mild in St. Thomas there is the skyride which provides a great view of the ships in port.

http://www.ridetheview.com/

In St. Maarten we joined another couple from our Roll Call for a private tour with Jo Junie. We covered the entire island. He also offers group tours that are not as expensive as the private tours.

http://www.jojunietours.com/index.html

Totally agree with seeing the forts in San Juan. We've seen both - just took a taxi to the fort then walked back to the ship both times as the ship was docked near Old San Juan.

In Old San Juan we found Pigeon Park interesting and a little scary!

We've had great luck in joining more experienced travelers on our Roll Call for private tours.

Have a wonderful cruise - have been to all of these ports multiple times - much to see and do.

San Juan-bacardi tour.

Can take the ferry from right beside where your ship docks. Round trip on the Ferry is 1./pp. Once on the other end the taxis will take you directly to Bacardi for $3-7 pp. Depending on your negotiating skills.

Bacardi has 3 different tours. The 2 'drinking' tours where you sample rum or mixed drinks or the museum tour. All are interesting and time taken is up to you on the Bacardi grounds. The rum tour usually takes you up to the top of the building to get pics of the fort and back into OSJ from across the bay.

Just another alternative for one day...stay on the ship....watch all the other passengers disembark to pay an arm and a leg for a beach resort, coach tour...and then go to the pool deck...

Have a lounger in the sun, then swap to the shade, go to (an empty) Oceanview for lunch. Return to the sun deck...relax....

I must say, much as we love visiting islands in the Caribbean we do love our 'on board port days' and now try to decide on at least one per Caribbean cruise...

Have a great vacation!

The best excursion we have done is "Da Party Bus" on St. Maarten, which we booked on our own. I left a message on their answering machine and received a call back within a day. They offered to hold off on putting the charge on our card through until just a week before the tour.

We went with three couples and ended up seeing things we hadn't on our 4 prior trips to the island. The staff is fun, and the other passengers were fun. They met us at the pier with a short walk to the bus near the end of the shops, and then off for a great day in the sun. Highly recommended.

http://www.thestmaartenpartybus.com/index.html

America's Cup in St. Maarten....one of the best excursions ever! I was "bartender" and hubby was a grinder and it was fantastic!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Be honest - you were not the "bartender" - you were the "quench wench" :D

If you decide to take a private tour, I recommend that you check its reviews, if possible on TripAdvisor. Also, if you find what you think is a good tour, run it by your roll call on cc.

I would never just take a taxi at random, especially in some countries. It is probably OK to do that in Europe, but in some countries, not so.

When I visited Egypt some years ago, I had an Egyptian friend that warned me about a scam of taxis taking people into the desert, robbing them and leaving them there.

If you decide to take a private tour, I recommend that you check its reviews, if possible on TripAdvisor. Also, if you find what you think is a good tour, run it by your roll call on cc.

I would never just take a taxi at random, especially in some countries. It is probably OK to do that in Europe, but in some countries, not so.

When I visited Egypt some years ago, I had an Egyptian friend that warned me about a scam of taxis taking people into the desert, robbing them and leaving them there.

Since the OP is going to St. Martin, there is no reason to be concerned taking a taxi to Orient Bay. We have done it many times and had a great time.

If you are a beach person, I cannot recommend Trunk Bay in St. John enough. Its actually a US national park. Celebrity should have an excursion that's a ferry ride from St. Thomas over to St. John.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Forums mobile app

We are going there in April...booked the St John on your own excursion thru Celebrity....I cannot wait!!! Any tips???[emoji484] [emoji572] [emoji225] [emoji227] [emoji568] [emoji484]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Forums mobile app

You are so right. This is one of the best excursions we ever did. It is offered on Celebrity also. It will sell out fast. They do have 3 or 4 yachts with 15 - 20 people on each one. We actually got to sail the Stars & Stripes yacht. You actually race the other boats. You can be a crew member or you can just ride along. I was the "Winch Wench" and DH was a "Grinder."

I would do this excursion again in a hot second.

• 2 weeks later...
America's Cup in St. Maarten....one of the best excursions ever! I was "bartender" and hubby was a grinder and it was fantastic!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

My gf and I were cheerleaders! DH was a grinder. It was a BLAST! :)