OV GTY Cabin Assignment in a sold out ship

Sandy1975

Hi everyone. I just booked a last minute cruise (departs in 10 days) but the only thing available in the entire ship was an OV GTY. Does anyone have experience on cabin assignments in sold out sailing dates? We are prepare to get the lowest and most inconvenient cabin but if the ship is sold out are there any slim chances of getting something better than an OV? Thanks

We booked something similar years ago for a cruise to Bermuda. Only thing available was an Inside GTY. We were not wild about that possibility, but wanted to take the cruise anyway. We did not get an assignment until we made it to the port. We were upgraded to an OV.

You never know! There are always a few passengers that have to cancel their cruise at the last moment. But usually, if the stateroom is in a higher category, the cruiseline will move someone that has paid more, before upgrading a passenger that took a GTY. Unless, you happen to be a first time passenger on Celebrity. It has been talked about on this forum that first timers sometimes get upgraded to lure them to be future Celebrity passengers.

Thanks for the replies. I would die of anxiety if I don't get a room before departure day! Just like you Iamthesea, we jut want to get away and were willing to roll the dice. I have never booked something with such short notice because we depend on airfare pricing but all stars were aligned to make this work.

We are not first timers with X but Im hoping for the best!

In addition to the upgrade stuff (offering free or paid upgrades to higher levels first), they also hold rooms of each type out of inventory, so it's possible you'll end up in your OV even if it says that category is currently sold out.

Thanks for the replies. I would die of anxiety if I don't get a room before departure day! Just like you Iamthesea, we jut want to get away and were willing to roll the dice. I have never booked something with such short notice because we depend on airfare pricing but all stars were aligned to make this work.

In addition to the upgrade stuff (offering free or paid upgrades to higher levels first), they also hold rooms of each type out of inventory, so it's possible you'll end up in your OV even if it says that category is currently sold out.

As said, "the best" will probably be what you booked. And since you were happy with that when you booked, you should be happy unless the location stinks. :(

We did an ocean view guarantee once on RCI and to be honest, I felt ripped off, there WAS a tiny porthole, but very far inset in the wall and you could not see out of it, only tell if it was day or night, it was like a telescope. Only like 1 degree field of view.

We did a concierge guarantee on celebrity and were assigned an Aqua cabin.

So, I guess you never know......

Good luck, it sounds like you are good sports and will have fun however it turns out.

Correct. Just because a category is being sold only as a guarantee and you can no longer select a specific stateroom means it's sold out. We in the public do not have a 100% view of all available inventory.

Correct. Just because a category is being sold only as a guarantee and you can no longer select a specific stateroom means it's sold out. We in the public do not have a 100% view of all available inventory.

What would be the advantage to holding back inventory 10 days before a cruise? Isn't that potential loss revenue?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Be sure to come back and post what type cabin you do get assigned.

Good luck!

Well my cabin is now officially showing as booked. I didn't like paying the price I did for this OV knowing that if booked in advanced I could had gotten a good balcony for a similar price but we wanted to take a break after a hectic month and that is priceless.

Now the waiting and constant checking begins! I will make sure to come back and post what I cabin I end up with.

Well my cabin is now officially showing as booked. I didn't like paying the price I did for this OV knowing that if booked in advanced I could had gotten a good balcony for a similar price but we wanted to take a break after a hectic month and that is priceless.

Now the waiting and constant checking begins! I will make sure to come back and post what I cabin I end up with.

Sincere best wishes, may the upgrade fairy wave her wand in your direction!

What would be the advantage to holding back inventory 10 days before a cruise? Isn't that potential loss revenue?

Last week we booked a guarantee oceanview (cat Y) on a cruise leaving in 6 weeks. Today we received our cabin assignment in a category that wasn't displaying in availability. So this is just one example of inventory that was held out of public access and set aside to assign to those holding guarantees.

Sandy - any update?

Beav - are you on our Pacific Coastal cruise?

No yet! Im checking quite often too.

I told my husband that I should probably stop checkingfor a few days and then it will be there! Since I have made a big deal out of this, I will definitely come back and post what I get. Like I said, I will be ok with OV but I haven't been in an OV in a long time! Anyways, it beats staying in Ohio

No yet! Im checking quite often too.

I told my husband that I should probably stop checkingfor a few days and then it will be there! Since I have made a big deal out of this, I will definitely come back and post what I get. Like I said, I will be ok with OV but I haven't been in an OV in a long time! Anyways, it beats staying in Ohio

Check often! I reluctantly gave up a great room to go back into the guarantee pool to get a great rate AND 2 perks. It was assigned within an hour. It was the same category I gave up so I called immediately and got my original room back (3112) SCORE!! Good luck to you!!

Last week we booked a guarantee oceanview (cat Y) on a cruise leaving in 6 weeks. Today we received our cabin assignment in a category that wasn't displaying in availability. So this is just one example of inventory that was held out of public access and set aside to assign to those holding guarantees.

Or it is a result of someone cancelling their booking.

Like airlines, cruise companies overbook with the historical knowledge that a certain number of bookings will be cancelled even after final payment. These cancellation can then be used to fill the GTY bookings.

I got my room assigned! I got an unobstructed balcony and I am very happy with it since this is the type of cabin we usually book. Now I can relax and start getting ready for vacation in a week.

So pleased for you!

I got my room assigned! I got an unobstructed balcony and I am very happy with it since this is the type of cabin we usually book. Now I can relax and start getting ready for vacation in a week.

Nice! Have a wonderful vacation.

Nice! Have a great cruise!

Fabulous!! Have a wonderful cruise!