Can you carry your bags when you board?

I am going on my first cruise and I have read about how your bags will be delivered by 8pm. I am bringing one rolling bag and one smaller duffle bag over my shoulder. The question is, when boarding to embark an I allowed the option of carrying both my bags by myself so I have everything right off the bat. Or is it a scanning process where they take everything and it's no option to have it delivered?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Only if they fit through the baggage scanner. These are the same size as the ones at the airport, so usually that means a 22" or maybe a 24". Also depending on when you board you may have to lug them around until your cabin becomes avsilable, usually at 1 pm but sometimes later. We only take a 22" with bathroom stuff, meds, anything essential for that evening. Most luggage shows up way before 8.

Yes, we've been doing carry on only for the last 30 or so cruises. Except the ONE out of Boston where they didn't let us for some reason. No idea why.

BTW, I don't think the size limit is nearly the same for flying, so if it fits in a overhead bin, you are good to go. ALSO- there is NOT a limit on the number of bags, like on a plane. For ease and putting dirty clothing in a different place, our bags go from 4 to 5 between the flight and getting on the ship.

Only once have our bags been delivered that late....once, they got to the cabin BEFORE we did! Most times, it's around 4-5...but yes, if the bags are small enough, and you can carry them around with you until the cabin is ready...bring 'em on!

So if I were to get both bags in myself and I board around noon. Your saying I have to wait before entering my room so I could be lugging the bags around for a couple hours? Am I better off just letting it be delivered?

Yes in our opinion. If your boarding early depending on the cruise make sure your meds and maybe swimwear and anything critical are with you... Some ships also have an area where your carry-on bags will be held until your rooms ready..

So if I were to get both bags in myself and I board around noon. Your saying I have to wait before entering my room so I could be lugging the bags around for a couple hours? Am I better off just letting it be delivered?

Whether you are better off is something you have to decide. However, you cannot get into your stateroom until 1pm, sometimes 1:30pm.

cabins will not be accessible until 1 or 130. until then you will have to schlep everything yourself. and the WJ gets beyond crowded when you have everyone trying to grab lunch while still keeping handle on their bags.

Yes in our opinion. If your boarding early depending on the cruise make sure your meds and maybe swimwear and anything critical are with you... Some ships also have an area where your carry-on bags will be held until your rooms ready..

Really? Which ones do that??

tnt10

We try to arrive at the port at 12:30 ish. It takes time to get through security, check in, pictures, etc. Normally, we walk on board just after 1pm. Some light wandering around, and by the time you get to your floor, the rooms are open.

So it's not as if you have to have your bags for many hours.

IMHO, it's NOT better to wait for them to be delivered.

By 2pm, we are unpacked and ready. No waiting, no worrying about where the luggage is, etc.

Of course, it's up to you. But our experience isn't nearly as negative as most post. And we've done it a lot. Like at least 30 times.

(and my suit is in my carry on garment bag)

Never have we seen that.

When I cruised (twice) with DD, DSIL, DGS, & a lot of medical supplies, we turned most things over to a porter before boarding. I don't remember it being more than late afternoon before everything was delivered to our cabins. The other three times I have cruised was just my younger DD and me. We have carried our own luggage on and off the airplane and ship. I may be a little paranoid, but I like having complete control over my belongings, and two out of the three times, our cabin was ready when we arrived.

Last time on Carnival we arrived early and just carried on and we dropped bags in room while they cleaned up, no problem.

The next day we received a notice about someone's luggage missing... for several days it was missing, that would have been horrible... so I am now planning to carry on always. Not worth the risk, however small it is...

Don't the porters just leave the bags in the hallways anyway? Could you not board with your bags prior to 1PM, and just drop them in the hallway near your door?

The doors to the cabin hallways are closed and though not locked, they are closed to prevent passengers from even attempting to go to their cabin. So, perhaps you could do this but you aren't supposed to. Besides, my last few cruises, my bags have been placed in my room, not left in the hallway.

Don't the porters just leave the bags in the hallways anyway? Could you not board with your bags prior to 1PM, and just drop them in the hallway near your door?

The fire doors are closed and the hallways are not accessible. Even if someone could get in the hallway, putting suitcases in the hall would be disruptive to the stateroom attendants who are still cleaning and have carts, vacuums, etc. that they need to move down the halls.

Last time on Carnival we arrived early and just carried on and we dropped bags in room while they cleaned up, no problem.

The next day we received a notice about someone's luggage missing... for several days it was missing, that would have been horrible... so I am now planning to carry on always. Not worth the risk, however small it is...

My rolling carryon contains my pretty dresses if I'm wearing them that trip, my running shoes and running clothes, my one pair of shoes that goes with all my dresses (I once brought 4 pairs of heels on a cruise and it irritated me so much I found dresses that would go with one maybe two pairs), my swimsuits and coverups and sunscreen.

If the rest of my stuff goes missing there's nothing horrible about it. Now that I'm not difficult to find clothes for, if I have to buy something onboard or at a port that's possible too.

Op, depending on what you want to do in the 1.5 hours between boarding and getting into the stateroom it can be totally fine to hand on to your bags. It just depends on your plans.

The other posts are correct in saying you shouldn't do what I did (taking bags to room early), and frankly it wasn't planned, just happened and worked out. When you give bags to your porter on the dock, don't forget to tip them... or they could "forget" your bags on land since they are a third party vendor (they don't work for the cruise line). Just my opinion...

Hi, it is important to remember that it is not just a matter of whether you'd be better off. Everyone that is cruising with you, will be roaming about the ship's public areas. It can get crowded. Walking around with a suitcase can be a nuisance, and even a danger maneuvering around small children.