Do you think shorts are okay in the MDR for dinner?

Do you think shorts are appropriate in the MDR for dinner?  

476 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think shorts are appropriate in the MDR for dinner?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't really care

Hey, I can't get used to shorts in Church !!! I know some nice silk Tommy Bahama mens shorts and a shirt can be very classic and a great look...unfortunately it's the torn cargo pants and cheap t-shirt that usually shows up with that "don't look at me I'm on vacation" attitude.

Rule of thumb...if you garden, play outside or do chores in your chothes please don't sit in a restaurant that you will be served a 4 course meal in those clothes.

Brilliant,my wife and i often say to each other we would do our garden in better clothes than some people wear in the restaurants.

43 cruises and counting.

I used to be very anti shorts in the MDR . However since my 20 something kids cruised with me I have changed my tune a little. They don't have a lot of money so buying a cruise wardrobe is hard on them. The son and son in laws are able to wear jeans/chinos to work But they did have dress shorts. They looked great in dark jeans, dress shorts and collared shirts. And let's face facts...most business that employ young thinkers the dress is casual. It's the way things are going.

The problem is the slippery slope down to basketball shorts, cargos, torn jeans and t shirts or worse tank tops on men. I don't want to look at hairy armpits at dinner or read t shirts.

In the Caribbean we definitely see more shorts.

Personally I like to dress up...so we do in the MDR....but I am not one to care what others do so I don't really care if the guy at the table next to me wears shorts or not...doesn't bother me...but I will say that with all the discussion on attire on this board...I went on my cruise two weeks ago expecting the worst....but I'd say 95% of those I noticed were dressed nicely/appropriately...I was surprised by how many actually wore gowns and tux's to formal night....now clearly this can alter cruise by cruise ship by ship...but in all our dinners I only saw 1 guy in shorts and a wife beater (tank top for guys) the entire cruise...so IMO this is being over exaggerated and over reacted to for the most part.....

People want a different experience. If you want to wear shorts to dinner, stay home or eat in the Windjammer.

Eat in the Windjammer or put trousers on for your meal in the restaurant then go back to your cabin and change into your shorts.

43 cruises and counting.

My thought process, if you are eating at an eatery that is included in your cruise fair casual attire should be acceptable. If you are eating in an extra charge eatery, dress accordingly.

With the increasing cost of baggage with air travel, I think the cruise lines and passenger expectations need to adjusted to be more reasonable. Personally, I am not shelling out an extra $100 round trip to the airlines just so we can wear fancy shoes, dressed and suits to dinner every night. I usually wear a sun dress with a little jewelry and a shrug for dinner, my daughter wears a sun dress while my husband and son wear a collared shirt, my husband with slacks and my son usually with black dressier shorts. Also, if someone's bag doesn't make it to the ship because the airline flew it to the wrong destination, they shouldn't be blacklisted from the MDR because they don't have fancy clothes.

The argument that staff should equally be allowed to wear shorts is just ridiculous. Seriously, I worked at a restaurant in a beach resort town for years, we wore long dresses to match the old time theme. Customers rarely wore anything more than shorts and tank tops with flip flops, I would never have thought to suggest dressing like the customers.

My thought process, if you are eating at an eatery that is included in your cruise fair casual attire should be acceptable. If you are eating in an extra charge eatery, dress accordingly.

With the increasing cost of baggage with air travel, I think the cruise lines and passenger expectations need to adjusted to be more reasonable. Personally, I am not shelling out an extra $100 round trip to the airlines just so we can wear fancy shoes, dressed and suits to dinner every night. I usually wear a sun dress with a little jewelry and a shrug for dinner, my daughter wears a sun dress while my husband and son wear a collared shirt, my husband with slacks and my son usually with black dressier shorts. Also, if someone's bag doesn't make it to the ship because the airline flew it to the wrong destination, they shouldn't be blacklisted from the MDR because they don't have fancy clothes.

The argument that staff should equally be allowed to wear shorts is just ridiculous. Seriously, I worked at a restaurant in a beach resort town for years, we wore long dresses to match the old time theme. Customers rarely wore anything more than shorts and tank tops with flip flops, I would never have thought to suggest dressing like the customers.

You could use the ships laundry to save on the number of clothes you bring with you.

43 cruises and counting.

You could use the ships laundry to save on the number of clothes you bring with you.

43 cruises and counting.

So spend $35/load, and all of a sudden you probably could have just paid for the extra bags. On top of this, many clothes that are nice cannot simply be send through regular laundry.

Sure those that have 43 cruises get free laundry, but that does not apply to the majority of passengers.

So spend $35/load, and all of a sudden you probably could have just paid for the extra bags. On top of this, many clothes that are nice cannot simply be send through regular laundry.

Sure those that have 43 cruises get free laundry, but that does not apply to the majority of passengers.

Actually we never use the laundry because our cruises are now never more than 7 nights as besides working my wife's mam is 94 and has dementia and our spare time is used up looking after her and fortunately her son lives with her as she needs 24 hour care so we can get away for short breaks.

You could get some of your clothes pressed.That is a good thing about P&O where they have several self use laundries that include several self use ironing boards.

43 cruises and counting.

I will NEVER understand the fuss people make over what other people wear at dinner. As long as people are cleaned, groomed, and covered does it really matter?

Thats fair enough but what would you say if my wife went swimming in the pool in her evening dress or me in my suit.Its just a case of wearing appropriate dress for what you are doing.

43 cruises and counting.

Thats fair enough but what would you say if my wife went swimming in the pool in her evening dress or me in my suit.Its just a case of wearing appropriate dress for what you are doing.

43 cruises and counting.

Why would I care? If that's how you roll

Eat in the Windjammer or put trousers on for your meal in the restaurant then go back to your cabin and change into your shorts.

43 cruises and counting.

I'm not interested in the Windjammer and what's the point of wearing something for 2 hours just to change? So you can see shorts in the Schooner Bar or Theater or dance club, etc., but it's wrong in the dining hall?

Anyone who wants to see and be seen should go to the Windjammer because there is no table cloths. You can't see what anyone is wearing in the MDR when they are sitting. At least in the Jammer you can show off your threads

I'm not interested in the Windjammer and what's the point of wearing something for 2 hours just to change? So you can see shorts in the Schooner Bar or Theater or dance club, etc., but it's wrong in the dining hall?

Its a restaurant not a Taco Bell.

43 cruises and counting.

Its a restaurant not a Taco Bell.

43 cruises and counting.

So how come women are allowed to wear shorts?

How come men can wear them for breakfast and lunch?

Is it not the same restaurant?

I notice in your picture the lady has a sleeveless shirt. She should not be allowed admittance to the dining room at any time of day dressed that way.