Claustrophobia

rosiemontrose

Check Cruise and Maritme's ONE Night cruises... one from Hull to Edinburgh, or Newcastle to Dundee, this July! If you really can't stand being in the cabin, you can doze on deck, or keep wandering around...

C&M usually offer overnights in London (Tilbury) in the winter, when you use the ship as a hotel... you don't sail. The prices are usually very good for D, B&B with entertainment.

Holland America has four of their smaller ships that would suit your needs, but only one sails in Europe in the summer. MS Rotterdam sails from Rotterdam. (The other three are Maasdam, Veendam, and Volendam). On these ships they took Ocean View cabins on the Lower Promenade deck and cut doors into them, so that you can exit your cabin directly onto the promenade. And you have two reclining deck chairs with pads reserved for your use just outside your door. You could keep your drapes open as you sleep so that you could see the open deck when you waken, or you could take a blanket out and sleep in one of your chairs if need be. If you go to www.cruisedeckplans.com and bring up the Lower Promenade deckplan, there are a few cabins with pictures. Click on the camera icon beside the cabin. (Pictures are quite small unless you are a member). Alternatively, you could Google Rotterdam Lanai cabin pictures and you will get some. EM

This sounds promising. And the pictures look promising, too! Thank you so much! Good excuse to go to Holland, too. Win-win.

I too have an irrational fear of being trapped. I obsessively plan escape routes. I hate elevators and use stairs when I can. My first cruise was solo in an inside cabin, I chose a cabin on a higher deck so I could get up on deck in case the ship started to sink lol.

The cabins doors don't jam. Even if you put the lock on by turning the handle it disengages. I was still nervous of being in an inside room, but I felt confident I could get out in an emergency.

I do prefer to be in a balcony room. Though I don't leave balcony doors open as it does upset the air con of surrounding cabins. Also in an emergency the last place you should be is on a balcony. If the ship was truly sinking think how many stories up you are hitting water at that hight is like hitting concrete.

I like the OV cabin I had. I thought it was quiet spacious. I used to like sitting in the window looking out to sea.

The rest of the ship was so big that I didn't feel enclosed at all. The theater is as big as any on land and main dinning room is massive too.

I never felt people were too intrusive as a solo & found a lot of alone time & if I wanted company people where very friendly. I dined at a large table just so I knew a few people on the ship. But you don't have to dine in the main dining room every night. It is polite to let your waiter know you are not going so he doesn't wait dinner on you.

I also recommend the happy drugs 😉

Sent from my SM-N910F using Forums mobile app

Check Cruise and Maritme's ONE Night cruises... one from Hull to Edinburgh, or Newcastle to Dundee, this July! If you really can't stand being in the cabin, you can doze on deck, or keep wandering around...

C&M usually offer overnights in London (Tilbury) in the winter, when you use the ship as a hotel... you don't sail. The prices are usually very good for D, B&B with entertainment.

The Hull one is July 11th; n/C one 22nd. There's also a one nighter from Greenock in August. :)

The Hull one is July 11th; n/C one 22nd. There's also a one nighter from Greenock in August. :)

Thank you! Yes, a one night one would be best for the first one to make sure there's not going to be a big problem... I think I might do a ship's visit even before that, too.

I too have an irrational fear of being trapped. I obsessively plan escape routes. I hate elevators and use stairs when I can. My first cruise was solo in an inside cabin, I chose a cabin on a higher deck so I could get up on deck in case the ship started to sink lol.

The cabins doors don't jam. Even if you put the lock on by turning the handle it disengages. I was still nervous of being in an inside room, but I felt confident I could get out in an emergency.

I also recommend the happy drugs 😉

Thank you! That's very useful. I am working myself up to this. I am definitely going to do it....

Sounds good to me! *writes 'Xanax' on shopping list* (Although I'm not sure where I could get them.)

A fear of being trapped is a common symptom of anxiety or panic attacks and can be set off by being in a crowd. For me, I experience it sometimes if I go to a show on a ship and it feels too crowded. Sometimes I just cannot stay in the theater as I feel trapped and like I might die and I leave my husband to watch the show alone and go back to our cabin to calm down. I had a bad attack in the Sistine Chapel when two tour groups tried to leave at the same time and people were pushing and shoving - it was a very dangerous situation - I saw an elderly woman torn from her adult daughter's grip and she was slammed into the wall and fell. I could not get to her because the crowd had me locked in on all sides and I was being swept forward against my will, but there was a young man near me who I screamed to and begged him to help her - he had to fight the crowd but thankfully managed to get the elderly woman off the floor before she was trampled to death or badly injured - still she did hit her head and I'm sure she was bruised up. I will NEVER go in the Sistine Chapel during the day ever again. I have a painter working on my house right now and he told me that he had the same sort of experience in the Sistine Chapel - so apparently this happens with some frequency. Anyway, just a word to the wise - if you ever want to see the Sistine chapel, do it from land and take one of the private night time tours where hardly anyone will be in there.

Xanax is by prescription from your doctor. Take the lowest possible dose - even just 1/2 but ONLY when you are having the problem. Taking it all the time is not beneficial and may decrease it's ability to work. Also, if you take it all the time it can be addictive. But if you are strict with yourself and only take it if you are really having the problem after trying other things to overcome the problem such as closing your eyes, relaxing your body and slowing your breathing by counting breathe in, one, two, three, four, breathe out, one, two, three, four and just doing that very slowly for 15 minutes and not thinking about anything else - if you are still having the problem, take the xanax and wait 15 minutes - you will feel so much better and for me, just knowing I have the medication and can take it if needed, is often enough to stop the problem, but if I need it, I take the xanax and it works like a charm.

BTW, aft cabins have larger balconies in most cases and there is often a lounger out there or you can ask your cabin steward for one and then sleep on that. Also, some ships have "bump outs" and cabins in this area of a ship may have larger than normal balconies. There are bump outs on Celebrity ships and also on NCL ships just to name a few lines I know of that have this feature. If you get an owner's suite, there will almost always be a large balcony with 2 or more loungers.

I also have a problem with claustrophobia. I did a 4 night cruise on royal Caribbean enchantment of the seas. Had a balcony room and had no problem at all in the room. However! I almost started hyperventilating during muster! It was out on deck by the lifeboats and very crowded! I wish I had thought to move to the front or side! I would look in to what lines do the drills in the theater or dining room. Good luck and breathe!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

A fear of being trapped is a common symptom of anxiety or panic attacks and can be set off by being in a crowd. For me, I experience it sometimes if I go to a show on a ship and it feels too crowded. Sometimes I just cannot stay in the theater as I feel trapped and like I might die and I leave my husband to watch the show alone and go back to our cabin to calm down. I had a bad attack in the Sistine Chapel ...

Xanax ....

aft cabins.........

Crikey - I might just give the Sistine Chapel a miss....

Thank you for the usage tips ref Xanax - I think my doctor will give me stuff for claustrophobia which will be similar even if not exactly Xanax.

And for the tips ref aft cabins etc - I'm making notes of all this!

I also have a problem with claustrophobia. I did a 4 night cruise on royal Caribbean enchantment of the seas. Had a balcony room and had no problem at all in the room. However! I almost started hyperventilating during muster! It was out on deck by the lifeboats and very crowded! I wish I had thought to move to the front or side! I would look in to what lines do the drills in the theater or dining room. Good luck and breathe!

It's interesting that you had no problem in your cabin at all. Also encouraging.

Forewarned is forearmed - I shall make sure to be on the front or side during any group sessions. Thank you!

I can't believe I'm the only claustrophobic person to want to go on a cruise...

There are tens of millions of people cruising each year and claustrophobia is not very uncommon so you are certainly not alone.

For you it's locks, for me it's heights. Somehow, walking on glass looking down from the bridge doesn't bother me at all on a ship while it certainly would on land. Ships are different!

If you think you can't handle muster drill, send an email and they probably will find a solution. I'm sure you'll be fine. Enjoy your cruise!

There are tens of millions of people cruising each year and claustrophobia is not very uncommon so you are certainly not alone.

For you it's locks, for me it's heights. Somehow, walking on glass looking down from the bridge doesn't bother me at all on a ship while it certainly would on land. Ships are different!

If you think you can't handle muster drill, send an email and they probably will find a solution. I'm sure you'll be fine. Enjoy your cruise!

Thank you for your encouragement. I shall make sure to bear in mind that everything is different on a ship so maybe I won't be claustrophobic at all!

In the meantime I have booked to go on a ship visit on the Oriana next month. (Eek!)

Well done for booking a visit... make sure you see a cabin.

Fred Olsen has a one night cruise on Dec 13th, from London to Southampton... they're offering a special single rate.

C&M are doing 2 nights from Newport to Dublin then Liverpool on June 4th... I'm not sure where you're based, but there's a coach back to Wales if you needed it.

Thank you for your encouragement. I shall make sure to bear in mind that everything is different on a ship so maybe I won't be claustrophobic at all!

In the meantime I have booked to go on a ship visit on the Oriana next month. (Eek!)

You'll have fun and enjoy your "floating hotel". Make sure you tell them on board about your issue and that you want to book a cruise but need to actually see cabins.

Good luck, I too suffer from claustrophobia, not the worst type, I can go in a lift, but if it gets stuck, well...... not good.

Can't stand being in an inside cabin more more than a brief time, (like minutes not hours).

But never had aproblem on a ship (I do book balcony cabins).

Well done for booking a visit... make sure you see a cabin.

Fred Olsen has a one night cruise on Dec 13th, from London to Southampton... they're offering a special single rate.

C&M are doing 2 nights from Newport to Dublin then Liverpool on June 4th... I'm not sure where you're based, but there's a coach back to Wales if you needed it.

I'm a little dubious about actually seeing the cabin - when I rang to make the booking the chap said they wouldn't have time for me to try and shut myself into a cabin to see if I could; that the tour was done in a bit of a hurry because straight afterwards the ship sets off on a cruise. But I intend asking someone else when I actually get there. Otherwise it's all a bit pointless...

Thank you for the suggestions - I shall check them out.

You'll have fun and enjoy your "floating hotel". Make sure you tell them on board about your issue and that you want to book a cruise but need to actually see cabins.

Yes, I will, although the chap on the phone said there wouldn't be time for me to have a proper look (ie - shut myself in and see if I come out in one piece, or not). But I will ask the person who is actually there on the day of the ship visit.

All of the rooms come with phones so you can communicate with the crew 24 hours a day. The crew members can be at your room quickly if you need them.

That's good to know. Thank you. I'm thinking maybe I could prime someone on-board beforehand, too. Just in case.