Claustrophobia

rosiemontrose

If you search these boards for chengkp75's information about how a ship works, you will learn why propping balcony doors open is a problem.

The explanation chengkp75 has given is sufficient for me to not book a cruise. But, thank you for the thought.

Thank you. Yes, I'm just trying to get used to the idea that it's a disability. Which, of course, it is... It sounds like yours was temporary - any idea how you came out of it?

Mine's been with me for a couple of decades and when I've had to do stuff like get on a plane or have an MRI scan, it's become very much worse every time.

Not to hijack the thread but I'll answer your question. The worst of mine was six or seven years. Through a combination of treatment with a caring, competent psychiatrist and some therapy it's now manageable. Not gone, but manageable. I wouldn't say everything is back to normal but most days I control my life and it is good.

My wish for you is that you find that place. There are people that can help.

Just watch out for the black dogs...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not to hijack the thread but I'll answer your question. The worst of mine was six or seven years. Through a combination of treatment with a caring, competent psychiatrist and some therapy it's now manageable. Not gone, but manageable. I wouldn't say everything is back to normal but most days I control my life and it is good.

My wish for you is that you find that place. There are people that can help.

Just watch out for the black dogs...

Thank you, traveler279. I'm glad to hear you're in a good place now. My usual, everyday life is fine - it's only on occasion that my claustrophobia makes itself felt - and most of those occasions I can avoid. This is why I'm investigating, though - it would be daft of me to book a cruise and then find I can't cope when it's too late and I'm in the middle of the ocean.

If I'd ever met a psychiatrist that I felt was competent - compassionate, even - I might have explored that avenue - but I'm afraid to say I haven't. And I've been to quite a few appointments with friends suffering with stuff more life-disrupting than mine (eg bipolar) so I have a few examples from which I've come to that conclusion.

Usually, the claustrophobia is not a problem for me. And, really, going up the stairs is much healthier for me than going in the lift!

Don't listen to people who say "... not everyone shows up for muster drills..." that's a good way to get yourself thrown off a ship. Also sleeping with balcony door open, while possible, tends to foul up a lot of other cabins' air conditioning - and is strongly discouraged. That said: even in just an ocean view cabin the sight of the open sea is so liberating that it might just immunize you. A balcony cabin is great, but there are many open deck areas where you can hang out. I have never experienced a mal-functioning lock, but I suppose it is possible. Finally, it is easy to figure out times and locations to enable you to avoid crowds.

Give a short cruise a try - you may very well find that the breadth of the sea will more than off-set any closeness experienced.

If you discuss your problem w staff ahead of time, I would bet that they can do a 1 on 1 muster drill for you. Contact the special needs department of the cruise line w your problem and ask how they can handle it.

DON

I don't want to discourage you, but just want to be realistic that rooms on the ship, even balconies, are smaller than hotel rooms. And the bathrooms are very small. You can attempt to leave the bathroom door adjar but if the ship rocks it may close on it's own unless you prop it open. And in some bathroom designs, the shower can flood the bathroom area which would make leaving the door open unfeasible.

As far as leaving the balcony open; people do it. Not sure why they would mess up the airconditioning for anyone else, but certainly would affect your room. The main thing to keep in mind if the balcony door is open is that if the balcony door is open and you try to open/close the door to your room, it will create a mini-wind tunnel. Can make it difficult to open the door. So, to not get freaked out about the "door jamming", you would want to be sure you always close the balcony before you try to open your door.

As far as managing without elevators, typically the restaurants/lounges/theater are on decks 5-7, and the buffet/pool/deck is decks 12-14, so that gives an idea of how many floors will be involved every day. We usually do take the stairs, except if going from the theater to the buffet in heels ;). Good luck, I hope you choose what's best for you. I've never experience what you a describing so it's hard to determine what might affect and not affect you.

As far as muster drills though, many lines now hold them in the theater/lounges so there shouldn't be huge crowds to stand in. But that varies by line so once you narrow down to which cruise line you want to use, you can get more specific on how that line does it. But muster drills are mandatory, they will hold a make up one the next day usually, but miss the make up drills and you are off the ship at the next port.

Thank you for the explanation. I totally get it now.

What I don't quite understand is how everyone I've spoken to in real life has told me - emphatically - that they all leave their balcony doors/windows open overnight because they like the sound of the sea...

Does this mean that when people buy places on a cruise ship part of their contract as a purchaser is to keep their balcony doors shut? Maybe it's in the small print...

However, unfortunately I can't unknow this now.

There is a sign by the balcony doors to keep shut but people don't care and want to do as they please since "they are on vacation"

If you discuss your problem w staff ahead of time, I would bet that they can do a 1 on 1 muster drill for you. Contact the special needs department of the cruise line w your problem and ask how they can handle it.

DON

Good idea - I think I will discuss it with them just in case they have an answer. Although, now I know about the balcony doors I'm not wildly optimistic. Thank you, Don!

There is a sign by the balcony doors to keep shut but people don't care and want to do as they please since "they are on vacation"

Oh. Okay. Gotcha. I don't need to be cooped up on a ship with a load of people who do as they please "because they're on vacation". I don't suppose in that case that leaving the balcony doors open is going to be the only thing. All through investigating all this I have been told about the bad side of things, too, which I've so far managed to ignore...

Rosie,

My response above was supposed to be responding to the post from someone else.

Oh, I beg your pardon, Elaine. I'm not that familiar with these boards. As I'm not that familiar with cruises and stuff... But now I'm looking I can see it. *slinks off*

I was concerned about being claustrophobic in an inside studio cabin ( tiny!) so I brought a small battery operated fan for air movement and some Xanax just in case! :)

Btw some Royal Caribbean ships have solo cabins with a balcony. ( though I found the virtual balcony gave me to feeling of a more open space without the actual balcony).

What I don't quite understand is how everyone I've spoken to in real life has told me - emphatically - that they all leave their balcony doors/windows open overnight because they like the sound of the sea...

Does this mean that when people buy places on a cruise ship part of their contract as a purchaser is to keep their balcony doors shut? Maybe it's in the small print...

As stated, there is normally a decal on the balcony door or frame advising not to leave it open. Very likely all those people you talk to actually do leave their doors open, which is why I can walk down any cabin passageway, on any given day or night, on any given ship, and hear the wind whistling under the cabin doors, and I can find the cabins with open balcony doors every time. One reason you find that there are so many complaints of too warm cabins, is the common practice of leaving balcony doors open.

I was concerned about being claustrophobic in an inside studio cabin ( tiny!) so I brought a small battery operated fan for air movement and some Xanax just in case! :)

Btw some Royal Caribbean ships have solo cabins with a balcony. ( though I found the virtual balcony gave me to feeling of a more open space without the actual balcony).

I gather that a couple of the P&O ships now have solo cabins with a balcony, too, as the demand for such is on the rise.

As stated, there is normally a decal on the balcony door or frame advising not to leave it open. Very likely all those people you talk to actually do leave their doors open, which is why I can walk down any cabin passageway, on any given day or night, on any given ship, and hear the wind whistling under the cabin doors, and I can find the cabins with open balcony doors every time. One reason you find that there are so many complaints of too warm cabins, is the common practice of leaving balcony doors open.

Right. Well. I can't do it now I know it shouldn't be done. It did occur to me, though - don't forget I know nothing about cruise ships except what I've learned very recently - are there any cruise ships without air con? Or could I sleep on the balcony?

I am curious if you have a problem with crowds and standing in line with maybe a 100 other cruisers? If so, look for the smaller ships.Check out ship sizes before booking.Avoid mega ships.

It depends how closely packed the crowds are... Actually, I assumed I'd be able to eat at unpopular times and avoid the crowds. Maybe there will be other occasions when people have to stand in line, I don't know - but if the line itself is somewhere where I can get out of it if I want to then it shouldn't be a problem. It's being trapped that's the main fear.

It depends how closely packed the crowds are... Actually, I assumed I'd be able to eat at unpopular times and avoid the crowds. Maybe there will be other occasions when people have to stand in line, I don't know - but if the line itself is somewhere where I can get out of it if I want to then it shouldn't be a problem. It's being trapped that's the main fear.

Maybe I missed this, but have you seen a therapist? This sounds like social anxiety as well as claustrophobia. Therapy can help. Medication can help. Why struggle?

Maybe I missed this, but have you seen a therapist? This sounds like social anxiety as well as claustrophobia. Therapy can help. Medication can help. Why struggle?

Thanks for the thought, but, as a general rule, I don't struggle. It's not social anxiety - it's actually cleithrophobia - that is, the fear of being trapped - it's often mistaken for claustrophobia and also often present when one is also claustrophobic. I find it easier just to say I'm claustrophobic and leave it at that.

On an everyday basis it doesn't bother me in the least. Investigating here is to make sure I don't find I have a serious panic attack when I'm already in the middle of the ocean. I could manage to be in a small room if I knew I could have a window or a door open. I can't, so that seems to be that, although I shall still see if I can find a ship without aircon, or a ship where sleeping on the balcony isn't an outlandish idea, or maybe I'll buy a picnic and hire a dinghy.

On an everyday basis it doesn't bother me in the least. Investigating here is to make sure I don't find I have a serious panic attack when I'm already in the middle of the ocean. I could manage to be in a small room if I knew I could have a window or a door open. I can't, so that seems to be that, although I shall still see if I can find a ship without aircon, or a ship where sleeping on the balcony isn't an outlandish idea, or maybe I'll buy a picnic and hire a dinghy.

Of course you can sleep on your balcony! You probably won't have a cot but you can always bring a sleeping bag and roll it out on the balcony with your pillow and have a wonderful sleep. The last time we were on a suite I fell asleep on the cot on the balcony. It was awesome!

Concerning the balcony door... it would be bad form to leave it open. As others have already explained about air conditioning and wind tunnels and such. And you don't want to be one of those people who act like they can do anything they want to just because it is their vacation and they paid for it. However, consider a couple of things. If your cruise is in an area where the weather is not that hot, then disruption of the air conditioning is not that big a deal. Do the Norwegian coast or Baltic Sea, not the Med. Also, note that the balcony door will open. Just like the door into the hallway, it will open. Even when its closed, it will open when you want it to open. Sleep with the drapes open. If you are feeling closed in, get up and open the door and go on the balcony and take some deep breaths. On your first meeting with the cabin steward, make sure they understand that you must have the drapes open all day and night. I have a mild form of what you experience, and I feel a bit confined by the closed drapes at night. On the other hand, even if we dock alongside another ship, I don't need to worry about passengers across the way checking out my choice of overnight wear...

One other thought. A few years ago we did an overnight ferry from Oslo to Copenhagen. In many ways like a cruise ship. Similar cabin, etc. There are several companies that ferry out of England to Ireland, France, Denmark etc. Book a return ticket on one including a stateroom and give it a try. Then move on to a proper cruise ship...

Best of luck!

Stan

Holland America has four of their smaller ships that would suit your needs, but only one sails in Europe in the summer. MS Rotterdam sails from Rotterdam. (The other three are Maasdam, Veendam, and Volendam). On these ships they took Ocean View cabins on the Lower Promenade deck and cut doors into them, so that you can exit your cabin directly onto the promenade. And you have two reclining deck chairs with pads reserved for your use just outside your door. You could keep your drapes open as you sleep so that you could see the open deck when you waken, or you could take a blanket out and sleep in one of your chairs if need be. If you go to www.cruisedeckplans.com and bring up the Lower Promenade deckplan, there are a few cabins with pictures. Click on the camera icon beside the cabin. (Pictures are quite small unless you are a member). Alternatively, you could Google Rotterdam Lanai cabin pictures and you will get some. EM

Of course you can sleep on your balcony! You probably won't have a cot but you can always bring a sleeping bag and roll it out on the balcony with your pillow and have a wonderful sleep. The last time we were on a suite I fell asleep on the cot on the balcony. It was awesome!

Ooh - the possibilities now become endless! Thank you.

Concerning the balcony door... it would be bad form to leave it open. As others have already explained about air conditioning and wind tunnels and such. And you don't want to be one of those people who act like they can do anything they want to just because it is their vacation and they paid for it. However, consider a couple of things. If your cruise is in an area where the weather is not that hot, then disruption of the air conditioning is not that big a deal. Do the Norwegian coast or Baltic Sea, not the Med. Also, note that the balcony door will open. Just like the door into the hallway, it will open. Even when its closed, it will open when you want it to open. ...

Stan

Thank you for your thoughts! They make a good deal of sense. Also for the reassurance that everything will open. Oh, yes it will! I shall do this. Indeed, I will.

I've been on a few ferries - from Newcastle to Bergen - they don't run that one anymore, which is a real shame or I'd go to Norway. I love Norway. Also Harwich to the Hook of Holland. Mind you those trips were in the days before any phobias had come my way. I've just checked out a ferry from Plymouth to Santander in a cabin with a balcony - to get an equivalent situation - but just the cost of the return trip on the ferry (without any stay anywhere) would easily cover a four-night cruise to Guernsey and Belgium (as a starter trip) so - when I get myself together, I think I'll go straight for the cruise ship. Coo - listen to me!

Everything will open! (my new mantra)