Binoculars Still Provided?

nfcu

For those currently onboard Silversea ships, are binoculars still provided in the suites? We will be on Shadow next month and want to know if we need to bring our own since we have heard rumors that they are no longer provided. However, the Silversea web site still shows binoculars listed as a suite amenity so I hope that is true.

Last December on Spirit we were advised by the butler that they had been removed. However some were still on board as he managed to produce a very familiar looking pair very quickly.

I got the impression this had only just happened so they may or may not still be available if requested.

My recall from our past sailings with Silversea is that the binoculars that were in the room were of rather marginal quality. So we were very, very happy that we brought our own binoculars. Worked out so much better that way!! When doing trips in and around Norway, the Amazon River, Africa, etc., you want to have the better quality optical pieces. If just doing some ports in the Caribbean or Europe, maybe that higher level of quality might not be as important.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting and dramatic pictures can be seen from my highly-detailed live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 30,925 views for this reporting and visual sharing that includes Cape Town, all along the South Africa coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

On the Spirit now and no binoculars in the suite. We had to ask for a hair dryer since the last guest apparently walked off(intentionally or not intentionally) with the original one. Guess that's why they gave up on the binoculars.

No binoculars here either. Sad to report. No desk blotter either. Now just a folder albeit of leather? Or pleather. No eyeglass cleaner.

Shocked??!! The desk blotter not being there can be managed around OK by me. BUT, I really like those eyeglass cleaners!! Will bring some that I have at home from earlier Silversea sailings to use on our mid-June cruise. Those are very handy in connection with both my sunglasses . . . AND for my camera lenses. Good heads-up warning.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 49,404 views for these postings.

No binoculars when I was on Spirit last month although our butler did provide a pair when asked but they were rather poor and cheap. Also the mini branded torches and suite pot plants seemed to have vanished. Cutbacks??

The most important Silversea employee the last several years is the person responsible for coming up with ways to eliminate amenities and services to cut costs and that person has done a great job.

But, as I've said many times on this board, it is our fault. We demand the lowest prices in the luxury cruise space and that is Silversea.

I had written to Silversea a few years ago suggesting they offer a second "premium class", at a higher cost, that would provide the niceties that were provided on the old Silversea. Fresh flowers in suites, champagne in the suite on arrival, binocs in rooms, fresh nuts in the bar served in containers larger than thimbles, fresh potatoes in the hash browns rather than frozen patties. I could go on and on (I forgot complimentary caviar). Maybe some of these things have been restored and others have been eliminated.

We are nostalgic for the old Silversea but those days are gone. It is now a sub luxury line but they have kept their prices in line. I just wish they had an option for a true luxury cruise.

"binoculars that were in the room were of rather marginal quality. "

When i was at sea .... many moons ago ... the company supplied a style of binoculars for bridge watchkeeping. They looked like two small beer bottles that were tied together! I bought my own ... a decent pair and I carry those ... far better in the long run.

No binoculars when I was on Spirit last month although our butler did provide a pair when asked but they were rather poor and cheap. Also the mini branded torches and suite pot plants seemed to have vanished. Cutbacks??

We always get the rather sad-looking orchid removed from the suite since the only purpose it seems to serve is to get in the way!

Having only just returned from the Spirit, we did report under "Spirited" away in South America, that many articles had failed to appear. What was more unfortunate was that the butlers had been instructed to tell any Venetian member who may ask for missing articles, was that "the container hadn't arrived"!! Isn't that like "waiting for my boat to come in"?!!

The recent departures include, in no particular order, the binoculars, the Silversea keyring with the light, the glass cloths and the cleaner, and the vase with the orchid. Although to be fair, our butler did provide the latter, however I am inclined to agree with Tothesunset, that they can get in the way, and in rough seas, we have known them to fall on the floor.

It will be interesting to see if there are any more departures on our Muse cruise in a week, or whether or not, all the above have been migrated there!!

Kindest regards

Master Echo

I am the original poster who asked about the binoculars. Well this morning the UPS man delivered our documents for next month's cruise and in the "Travel Journal" it states that all suites are equipped with binoculars and umbrella.

I will be bringing this with me and showing it to the butler (or Hotel Manager) if neither are in the suite.