In case anyone thinks they don't enforce the dress code strictly enough

lisiamc

Bums... really?

Please define what you mean by bums and let us all know which cruise line you've encountered bums on?

I certainly wouldn't want to be bothered by any panhandlers on the way to a specialty restaurant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, how's this one: We were on Cunard(and we ALL know their dress code)This guy comes in on the first formal night, dressed in skanky cargo shorts & a "wife beater T" Is that acceptable to you?? This clown, we found out, sneaked into the Britannia rest. & had planned on doing this to P/O the rest of the pax who were dressed nicely for dinner. It certainly P'd me off. I got the Maître D & told him to make this slob leave & dress properly. We never saw the guy in the rest. or anywhere else, after that. Considering the guy was about 6'-6" tall, he was pretty hard not to miss.

Bravo!

Ok, how's this one: We were on Cunard(and we ALL know their dress code)This guy comes in on the first formal night, dressed in skanky cargo shorts & a "wife beater T" Is that acceptable to you?? This clown, we found out, sneaked into the Britannia rest. & had planned on doing this to P/O the rest of the pax who were dressed nicely for dinner. It certainly P'd me off. I got the Maître D & told him to make this slob leave & dress properly. We never saw the guy in the rest. or anywhere else, after that. Considering the guy was about 6'-6" tall, he was pretty hard not to miss.

• 2 weeks later...
We were just finishing the trivia in the Sky lounge, and thought we'd stay on for the Elite Cocktail Hour for a quick drink. I was wearing black trousers, and a black and white top, with thong-style sandals, with a smooth black leather strap that goes between my toes. Definitely not pool flip-flops, but technically flip-flop style sandals. I was asked to leave by the Captain's Club hostess, because no flip-flops are allowed at the Elite Cocktail Hour.

Indeed, when I read the requirements for the Cocktail Hour, it says clearly that no flip-flops or sandals are allowed. So if I go and put on my nice blingy long dress, and my sparkly evening sandals (with a strap that goes between my toes) I still won't be in compliance with the dress code. However, if I put in my heavy, clompy athletic shoes with my dress, I will be meeting the code just fine. OK, that makes sense to me... :o

Strange-I went in the Sky Lounge every single night with either dress flip flops or sandals and never had an issue. They would not let us in with shorts, but shoes were never an issue

Off Infinity 2 weeks ago and wore my exercise sneakers to the helipad for sail aways, based on the instructions. I was very surprised to see people in all manner of footwear and dress. Bathing suits, flip flops, sandals, etc. No enforcement at all.

As to flip flops - if they are flat soled with the v shaped thong between the toes - they are flip flops - might be rubber $1.99 from the dollar store or could be plastic $399. from Dior. All flip flops. Even the OP is referring to hers as flip flops.

• 1 month later...
We were just finishing the trivia in the Sky lounge, and thought we'd stay on for the Elite Cocktail Hour for a quick drink. I was wearing black trousers, and a black and white top, with thong-style sandals, with a smooth black leather strap that goes between my toes. Definitely not pool flip-flops, but technically flip-flop style sandals. I was asked to leave by the Captain's Club hostess, because no flip-flops are allowed at the Elite Cocktail Hour.

Indeed, when I read the requirements for the Cocktail Hour, it says clearly that no flip-flops or sandals are allowed. So if I go and put on my nice blingy long dress, and my sparkly evening sandals (with a strap that goes between my toes) I still won't be in compliance with the dress code. However, if I put in my heavy, clompy athletic shoes with my dress, I will be meeting the code just fine. OK, that makes sense to me... :o

It's all subjective. It's how that particular person who is policing the people feels at that time

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is what I was wearing when I was turned away at the door. That has happened once. The rest of the times I haven't had an issue.

s_57277f51522b45c330004a42.jpg

These shouldn't have been an issue.

These shouldn't have been an issue.

But it was. She stated she was turned away.

It's all subjective. It's how that particular person who is policing the people feels at that time

Unless someone was policing the police they had the option to decide that those black leather sandals were fine.

I think some people let a little power go to their heads.

The dress code was written to keep some decorum in the cocktail hour.

Common sense could go REAL far in how to maintain that without being ridiculous.

And in light of the fact that jeans are now appropriate for Evening Chic nights - someone needs to re-think the cocktail hour parameters.

Why is it the hostesses fault if people don't pack shoes that meet the dress code?

Yup, had the same thing happen to me once. I was wearing a sundress with kitten heeled "sandals" and was told I couldn't enter. I told her that the ONLY shoes I had brought that didn't show my toes were my running shoes... I asked her if I should wear THOSE to the Captain's cocktail party with my cocktail dress later in the cruise. Just want to know to save myself from having to go back and change out of my high heels, because those also show my toes. She finally saw my point and reconsidered her stance on women's shoes. I was allowed in. The men, however, who were wearing Keen style shoes had to go back and put on their sneakers.

Since then I've been able to wear "thong" style sandals with no issues. I'm not talking about rubber pool/beach flip flops... but colored leather sandals.

No beach or pool wear allowed might be a better description.

Where is the like button?

It's one thing to say that flip flops shouldn't be banned under the dress code, but since they are, why is the OP upset? It doesn't say anything about nice flip flops being allowed. Sandals and flip flops are not the same thing, I can see sandals being allowed. So many people here complain that the dress code isn't enforced, until it backfires on them. Perhaps a better idea would be to ask Celebrity to revise the dress code, rather than complaining about the hostess who enforced it.

Every single pair of dressy high heels I own, are "open toed". Are toes considered "bad" "too sexy" "dirty".... I don't get it. Of course, flip flops, I totally understand....but the picture above are NOT flip flops. Just ridiculous.

Every single pair of dressy high heels I own, are "open toed". Are toes considered "bad" "too sexy" "dirty".... I don't get it. Of course, flip flops, I totally understand....but the picture above are NOT flip flops. Just ridiculous.

Hang Ten.:cool:

The issue of wearing sandals is only for the Captain's Club Elite cocktail hour. The rest of the ship is A-Okay with sandals.

Does that make sense to anyone? No sandals=elite? That's an odd way to declare status to me... I suppose if you are "elite" you'd obviously know to pack closed-toe dress shoes on a Caribbean cruise? Are white elbow length gloves and tiaras also on the packing list for celebrity??! I'm cruise planning right now and looking at Celebrity. I wouldn't go on a vacation that required me to pack closed-toe dress shoes! Looks like back to NCL where they seem to approve of my sandal clad (well-manicured) toes!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Totally agree. The picture is not of flip flops of any description, but very respectable sandals. I only wear dress sandals in the summer and in the Caribbean in the evening. Only alternative would be sneakers. Common sense needs to prevail here.

I guess on a Caribbean cruise the Elite cocktail hour is a boys club if sandals aren't allowed.

I guess on a Caribbean cruise the Elite cocktail hour is a boys club if sandals aren't allowed.

I am a very old "senior boy" and wear sandals at every opportunity :). But those who wear socks with their sandals should be banned from all venues :).

Hank

I am a very old "senior boy" and wear sandals at every opportunity :). But those who wear socks with their sandals should be banned from all venues :).

LOL! It sounds like you don't work in the medical field, and are certainly not a dermatologist or podiatrist.

You may change your opinion if you ever encounter someone wearing sandals who has a bad case of toenail fungus and beg that person (male or female) to put some socks on. clear.png?emoji-eek-1725