Will RCCL revoke OBC for cancel & rebook?

We have a cruise booked for next year through a TA that was offering $175 OBC at the time of booking. There was no offer of OBC from RCCL at the time. The cruise has now gone up $50, but RCCL is offering $75 OBC so in a perfect world I would be ahead by $25 assuming I could change my booking. I called the TA this afternoon and was told that since the $75 OBC from RCCL is for new bookings only that they would have to cancel and rebook the cruise. The TA went and checked with her manager and was informed that if she were to do that, RCCL would recognize that it was a cancel and rebook and revoke the $75 OBC (which would then leave me paying $50 more for what I have now). I know $25 isn't going to make or break the cruise, but has anyone experienced this before? Or am I dealing with a misinformed TA?

I've not read any reports of "look backs" in a long time. That used to happen on some promos restricted to new bookings. They would look back some number of days to ensure people were not cancelling and rebooking.

I still would not go through the hassle and risk for $25.

I've not read any reports of "look backs" in a long time. That used to happen on some promos restricted to new bookings. They would look back some number of days to ensure people were not cancelling and rebooking.

I still would not go through the hassle and risk for $25.

Bob,

That is very helpful. Thank you. Just curious though, if we cancelled and rebooked through a completely different travel agent would RCCL still see it as a cancel and rebook?

Bob,

That is very helpful. Thank you. Just curious though, if we cancelled and rebooked through a completely different travel agent would RCCL still see it as a cancel and rebook?

I don't know that answer. I just know that the potential upside is not enough for me to screw around with the booking.

I agree with Bob (again!). I wouldn't wake the "sleeping bear" that RCI's website can be, even thru a travel agent, for $25.00 and ESPECIALLY if the stateroom category and location you currently have is important, on the outside chance that someone else has it waitlisted if it were to become available.

In any case, whatever you decide, have a great cruise!😊

Bob,

Not sure I get it - unless you are booking as a completely different person RCCL would know that you cancelled and rebooked. Doesn't have anything to do with what TA did the booking since the booking is in your name. Agree with Bob, though - not worth possible $25.

Not sure I get it - unless you are booking as a completely different person RCCL would know that you cancelled and rebooked. Doesn't have anything to do with what TA did the booking since the booking is in your name. Agree with Bob, though - not worth possible $25.

You are putting way too much faith in Royal's IT department being able to tell that you had cancelled and rebooked. 2 weeks ago they didn't even know that they had booked my wife in 2 different cabins on the same cruise.

In the past 4 years I have had numerous price drops applied to my reservations, never have I had to cancel and rebook, the price was simply eadjusted and my existing reservation remained intact. The only sale that I have read about them refusing to honour the price has been the going, going gone sale and those really only applied to upgrades as those cruises were generally discounted after final payment.

The only sale that I have read about them refusing to honour the price has been the going, going gone sale and those really only applied to upgrades as those cruises were generally discounted after final payment.

+1.

Biker, whose TA call limit is $100 or more.

We have a cruise booked for next year through a TA that was offering $175 OBC at the time of booking. There was no offer of OBC from RCCL at the time. The cruise has now gone up $50, but RCCL is offering $75 OBC so in a perfect world I would be ahead by $25 assuming I could change my booking. I called the TA this afternoon and was told that since the $75 OBC from RCCL is for new bookings only that they would have to cancel and rebook the cruise. The TA went and checked with her manager and was informed that if she were to do that, RCCL would recognize that it was a cancel and rebook and revoke the $75 OBC (which would then leave me paying $50 more for what I have now). I know $25 isn't going to make or break the cruise, but has anyone experienced this before? Or am I dealing with a misinformed TA?

Are you kidding??? for $25.

You are putting way too much faith in Royal's IT department being able to tell that you had cancelled and rebooked. 2 weeks ago they didn't even know that they had booked my wife in 2 different cabins on the same cruise.

In the past 4 years I have had numerous price drops applied to my reservations, never have I had to cancel and rebook, the price was simply eadjusted and my existing reservation remained intact. The only sale that I have read about them refusing to honour the price has been the going, going gone sale and those really only applied to upgrades as those cruises were generally discounted after final payment.

Ditto this