New? "This Shorex not available to book on board"

cruisestitch

Maybe this isn't new, but I haven't seen this before. A shore excursion, nothing fancy, not a helicopter ride or an overnight stay, just a sightseeing tour of a city, comes with the message "this tour is not available to book on board".

I can't really understand this. If there's space and if a passenger wants to book it, they won't take our money? Seems odd......

This is a sightseeing tour in Bruges, Belgium.

I noticed it a few weeks ago, and I assumed it was because the tour I was looking at included a cable car ride with limited numbers.

A cynic might say that it is to prevent people using OBC to pay for it.

I noticed it a few weeks ago, and I assumed it was because the tour I was looking at included a cable car ride with limited numbers.

A cynic might say that it is to prevent people using OBC to pay for it.

I have seen it several times and never understood it. With the change today allowed guests to use OBC to book excursions, dining, wifi etc. your last cynical guess doesn't apply! Who knows:confused:

I think these tours have an element where X needs to confirm numbers with a third party a set number of days for part of the activity. For example, the Flam railway on the Fjords....X has a 'hold' on a number of seats but will release unsold ones back a fixed number of days before the trip.....hence too late to book on board. Perhaps on the Bruge trip there is an element of the trip (access to a venue?) where X needs to confirm numbers or cancel places in excess of a week out.

So possibly not X being awkward just needing to ensure they are not left with paying for unsold seats/entrance costs.

Good though, chemo. But that is what is weird about the one I was looking at -- there's nothing special there, it's just a generic tour of the city.

There's also a Belgium chocolate making experience -- a hands-on shore excursion. That also cannot be booked on board. I can see how it might be capacity controlled and they need a firm number ahead of the cruise to make sure it's a "go".

And the weird thing is, these are offered on the very last day of a 14 day cruise -- you would think there would be plenty of time to make an adjustment if the numbers aren't there.

I'm still mystified but will talk to Shore Excursions when I get on board.

Good though, chemo. But that is what is weird about the one I was looking at -- there's nothing special there, it's just a generic tour of the city.

There's also a Belgium chocolate making experience -- a hands-on shore excursion. That also cannot be booked on board. I can see how it might be capacity controlled and they need a firm number ahead of the cruise to make sure it's a "go".

And the weird thing is, these are offered on the very last day of a 14 day cruise -- you would think there would be plenty of time to make an adjustment if the numbers aren't there.

I'm still mystified but will talk to Shore Excursions when I get on board.

Let us know what you find out, very curious....Hope you have a great cruise! Our turn in three weeks time!

We are on a 12 night in May - just took a look at excursions and 95% of them "cannot be booked on board", with two basic tours stating "cannot be booked online - check on board".

It left around 3 tours unmarked for the whole cruise.

Curious. Have seen the reverse 'cannot book on online' several times for accessible tours which seems counter-intuitive...

Perhaps the 72 hour sale was a great success and some excursions are sold out, so it may be a matter of picking up last minute cancellations? :confused: