Disney Before Cruise?

LakeWobegon

We're likely going to switch our March cruise next year to June as we just learned our daughter will have First Communion that week. #firstworldproblems, I know. But while I would have left cold Minnesota for some place warm in spring, we'll have to suffer through an early Summer vacation. Seriously, I am just kidding. Anyway, my wife suggested since it will be Summer and she is a teacher and has that time off that we could do Disney for a few days before the cruise too and check that one off the list. So has anyone done that before and have recommendations, tips and trick? Thanks in advance for any insight you could provide.

I am unsure if you want recommendations about Disney World, Disney Cruise Line, hotels or transport to/from the cruise terminals?

WDW is only 75 minutes away from the Port so your big decision is whether or not to depart Disney on the morning of your cruise (perfectly good choice) or the night before your cruise and move to a hotel near the Port (also a good choice if you want to get into cruise spirit by the beach!).

After that decision you have to decide how to get to the Port area. A cruise line bus (Disney from a Disney hotel), private shuttles, rental car or shared shuttles?

Thanks. Was just thinking of options for staying at or around Disney World and getting to Miami as we're likely going to stick with the MSC Seaside out of there on a Saturday. I see, though, that the ship doesn't depart until 7 pm so you have some time it looks like to get to port that day.

Thanks. Was just thinking of options for staying at or around Disney World and getting to Miami as we're likely going to stick with the MSC Seaside out of there on a Saturday. I see, though, that the ship doesn't depart until 7 pm so you have some time it looks like to get to port that day.

Tons of hotels available around Disney. We just did 3 days there thru Priceline, paid total of $85/night per room. It was a Radisson with free shuttle to the parks.

Strongly suggest that you arrange to rent a car for the drive to Miami, and allow at least 4-5 hours for the drive on the turnpike. Add an hour if you decide to drive to Cocoa to use I-95.

Agree- tons and tons of hotels of every stripe around the amusement parks.

In March we flew into MCO, rented a car and stayed at an Embassy Suites for a couple of nights near the parks. Then drove to FLL to sail.

There are a few discussions about the toll roads. Get a car that comes with the pre-arranged toll collection system. Our 3 days of drived added $30 of tolls- for around 300 miles of driving. Worth it. MCO to FLL is 3 hours on toll roads (add about 40 minutes to MIA), 4 hours on non-toll roads.

There are some WDW boards - all ears, etc. to check out.

I would also spend $12 on Amazon, or go to your local library and check out the latest Unofficial Guide to WDW -- tons of WDW info.

With a rental car the drive to Miami takes about 3.5 hours or just over -- buy a Sunpass and register your rental car, or pay for the tolling option with the car. National, Alamo, Thrifty and maybe Enterprise offer free shuttles from their MIA airport location to POM (which saves you the "excitement" of driving in downtown Miami traffic ;))

Good luck!

With a rental car the drive to Miami takes about 3.5 hours or just over

Wow, I just looked this up and it does say 3.5 hrs.

Living here I have to say that this is very optimistic. Several days a month the turnpike is closed for an hour or for several hours due to "overturned tractor trailer" or other accident, not to mention rush hour congestion and slow, slow...really slow traffic. :cool:

We are very careful planning and driving either I-95 or the Turnpike. We use Google Maps on our phone to tell us real time traffic conditions so that we adjust our routing if there is a major incident. (a GPS that shows traffic would work, too)

We have gone to Disney prior to a cruise several times - out of Port Canaveral, Fort Lauderdale and Miami. We stayed in Disney resorts and rented through Alamo who has a location within Disney that will pick you up at your resort. We picked up the rental the night before the cruise and dropped off at FLL or MIA airports then took a taxi to the port. Only time we had an issue was when we dropped off the rental at a location near the port, rather than the airport. It was extremely busy and we had to wait a long time for their shuttle. Still got to the port in plenty of time.

When we cruised out of Port Canaveral, we hired private transportation to the port. We were cruising with DCL but their buses have a set schedule and we wanted to get there earlier.

Wow, I just looked this up and it does say 3.5 hrs.

Living here I have to say that this is very optimistic. Several days a month the turnpike is closed for an hour or for several hours due to "overturned tractor trailer" or other accident, not to mention rush hour congestion and slow, slow...really slow traffic. :cool:

We are very careful planning and driving either I-95 or the Turnpike. We use Google Maps on our phone to tell us real time traffic conditions so that we adjust our routing if there is a major incident. (a GPS that shows traffic would work, too)

3.5 on a Saturday is doable. I'd suggest downloading the Waze app to help w/any potential traffic issues. (It also can warn you of the roadside tax collectors posing as speed control.) Make sure your tank is full when you leave Orlando as there is an 80 mile stretch of the turnpike where there is only one exit and one rest stop. All of the above suggestions about prepaid tolls w/a rental are all spot on. And there are a bajillion hotel choices at or near WDW at all price points. Just remember the Mouse is an expert at separating his guests from the money in their wallets. Enjoy your trip.

If you go non-stop 3.5 hours from Disney area to Miami is very doable. Speed limit is 70mph, you won't get a ticket for anything under 81mph 100%. If you are going 80 you will still be passed by cars.

Just keep in mind that in June it is extremely busy and hot in Disneyworld. As long as you are aware of how busy it will be and hot, then enjoy. Make sure to look up the tips, get the fast passes etc..

Also, make a choice on whether you want to drive in the day of the cruise or maybe drive in the afternoon before. While the drive can be done in about 3.5-4 hours that does not include dropping off the car and getting to the port nor the potential for traffic. If you drive down the day you cruise leaves, make sure to give yourself some extra time.

Try to book a hotel with a shuttle bus, you will save time and money. The Disney resorts, which are all great have their own interior transit system, but might of the hotels near the Disney Springs area in the Lake Bunea Vista area have shuttle buses to all the parks too. I highly suggest looking for something close to Disney Springs. Its a great place to get dinner and entertainment at night.

Another advantage of staying at a WDW resort is that you can to book your Fast Passes 60 days in advance and your dining 180 days in advance. You also get to take advantage of of Extra Magic Hours, which allow you to enter the park early or stay late on certain days. This can be very helpful during time periods when crowd volume is high. Yes, it is more expensive than staying outside the parks and everyone has their opinion as to whether or not it is worth it, and I happen to be among those who think it definitely is! Check prices for all three levels of Disney resorts and sign up for the free video at the Disney website (which some people say gets you on a list to receive discount codes in the mail). There are also hotels, which are not Disney run but get you some of the benefits (like the Swan and Dolphin which is a Starwood Hotel). Some people have managed to sign up for the Starwood Credit card and get a night free there. And, there are travel agents (not allowed to mention names here I think) who reserve rooms at Disney hotels for conferences and let them go for less than Disney sells them for. All of this I learned on DisBoards (which is like the Cruise Critic for Disney fans). Good Luck!