Carnival Elation dry dock 2017

SCAnthony

Here are a few photos of Elation in dry dock. These were taken from Serenity deck on Ecstasy. I zoomed as far as I could. We had binoculars which got much closer but the photos don not show a lot of detail. If you look above the bridge you can see where the work is being done on the new deck. The next photos show a piece being lifted into place. They were also moving containers on and off the ship as other construction is going on inside. We were there for several hours and there was constant activity with the cranes.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/wHnopTwZxi2i5PCFrFsuiGlPfv5AcjB2BzpdHfs0Rd9

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/sSQJQbJw3XlJdtVwu3fCpwsWxHgIN7jzYK4tBfy7Zj7

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/uGsgZTBUd3ozOXT5iKs8RORzE2P3F69HCIpidwMCXQ5

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/HpCh3BQPRnlmu285y39HCU6N2X07zbaGL5CeNLVtrks

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/6ShyP04UPEiNaHeuxxN4lfz2eLfPxVgmmWcgMvPf9I1

alw6t0GLMcgZ4fuExEQnGr10jd6vHvqI5fgO8uyJqnP

how do you protect a ship in dry dock during a hurricane?

The ship looked pretty solid. There could possibly be some wind damage to the new construction depending on what state it is in. The one thing that I noticed was the water level at the dry dock gate which was virtually at the top. If they got much of a storm surge it would seem that the bay could be flooded. If the flooding were enough to lit the ship off the blocks it could get bad. It would be interesting to see what it looks like now.

It looks like they are taking the Elation back out to sea. I wonder how that will affect the completion of her dry dock?

I noticed that in the instagram photo the life boats are back on board. In my photos they are gone. Looks like the bay is already flooded and ready to sail. There was a smaller cruise ship beside Elation, looked like maybe a former Celebrity ship. There were also some freighters in the dry docks. Out to sea would be much safer I think.

The other ship is the Celestial Crystal which has been chartered to provide accommodation as there is so much work going on in the Elation. Husband was told he was essential and would be moving to sail with the Elation but he's back on the Crystal which left the shipyard earlier. There's not enough complete cabins to have ALL the contractors on board at the moment. Both ships will bob around somewhere safer until they can return to port and the work starts again.

The other ship is the Celestial Crystal which has been chartered to provide accommodation as there is so much work going on in the Elation. Husband was told he was essential and would be moving to sail with the Elation but he's back on the Crystal which left the shipyard earlier. There's not enough complete cabins to have ALL the contractors on board at the moment. Both ships will bob around somewhere safer until they can return to port and the work starts again.

Thanks for that info. We could not see much of that ship from where we were and we were guessing what ship it was. We all thought it was being worked on as well. There are a lot of cranes over there. Hope your husband comes through okay.

• 3 weeks later...

I am not booking her until I know whether she has balconies or not, although now its getting close to December and I guess I have to go on on RC instead because nobody is confirming whether she will have balcony cabins. Why are they waiting to tell us, unless she won't have any balconies but newer updated cabins?

She will most definitely have balconies. They have already cut the doors and window openings in the hull for them. The last pic I saw already had the extended “deck” (the actual balcony part) welded to the hull for one of the decks on the back. That pic was from last week, I think (possibly older). I would upload a copy of the pic but this forum has some ridiculously outdated image size limitations.

Then what would happen to all the people who booked and paid for Oceanview rooms? I can't understand for the life of me why the secret, why can't they just tell us what the upgrades are? Frustrated here, hate games, just tell us and let us start booking these balcony cabins Carnival!

Then what would happen to all the people who booked and paid for Oceanview rooms?

I don’t know. Presumably, if you’ve booked an ocean view room, then you still get the room you booked. If it’s converted to a balcony, then maybe you get a free upgrade out of it. However, I just ran through the booking engine for a few upcoming sailings (next summer) and the new balcony rooms aren’t even available at all at the moment. They aren’t available under window rooms and all balcony options are unavailable as well. I’m guessing they are holding them back until the dry dock is over and the rooms pass safety inspections or something like that.

Any idea when she be completed and coming back to start her first cruise?

Rumors floating around are that she will be back in service for cruises in mid October, but those are just rumors. John Heald has been posting updates on his Facebook about her (among the TONS of other things he posts about), but even then, exact dates are not available. I’m sure it’s not easy moving fleet assets around and scheduling everything like Carnival does. It can be frustrating for us as customers, but I’m sure they don’t know exactly how long things will take either. The hurricanes messed up so many schedules as well as logistics and resources in those areas (the dry dock is in the Bahamas), and with the added logistical issues of putting the fascination in place of the elation temporarily, I’m sure their plates are full keeping it all straight.

Here is a picture I took of the ship in dry dock this past Saturday (Sept 23) in Freeport.

Awesome, awesome, awesome!!! Thanks for posting that. That’s exactly what I was looking for.

You can see lots of work on new balconies as well as new waterworks slides!!!!!! My kids will be so happy to know that the slides are a reality and not just a rumor now.

Btw, I’d love to get a high res version of that pic if possible.

She will most definitely have balconies. They have already cut the doors and window openings in the hull for them. The last pic I saw already had the extended “deck” (the actual balcony part) welded to the hull for one of the decks on the back. That pic was from last week, I think (possibly older). I would upload a copy of the pic but this forum has some ridiculously outdated image size limitations.

You can post photos without restrictions or bizarre hoops to jump through from the Tapatalk or the CC Forums apps.