Carnival Elation dry dock 2017

SCAnthony

detailed reading of the thread will show and a look are carnival's website also shows balcony guarantee cabins available for booking down the road

IF you booked a outside, in the way back, and it will become a balcony then most likely you'll get the free upgrade.

anyway we kinda followed what was going on during the hurricanes and elation was refloated out of the drydock and parked elsewhere in the harbor with tugs nearby

its drydock is delayed, check out crews news right here on CC with san juan screwed up right now the fascination is moving to Miami to debark san juan passengers and will head back to jax and take over elations sailings!!!

until elation is finished and our till san juan is functional, carnival has cancelled I think the next 6 fasciantion sailings out of san juan

I'm just super happy that CCL is continuing to invest in the Fantasy Class ships. They are my favorites by a wide margin. My hope is that they're still sailing long after the Vista class ships have gone to the breakers.

I agree. These ships just have so much packed inside of them. They could have a long life ahead of them if they continue to be well maintained and updated as they have been.

I agree. These ships just have so much packed inside of them. They could have a long life ahead of them if they continue to be well maintained and updated as they have been.

These upgrades show that Carnival is definitely interested in keeping them well maintained and in service for quite a while.

I read somewhere that the Fantasy class ships are the biggest reason why Carnival can offer lower fares than most other cruise lines as well as finance the constant upgrades to the fleet. Supposedly (now this is all conjecture that I am repeating), the Fantasy class ships have long since been paid off meaning all the fares for bookings on those ships can go into Carnival's "check book" where they can then pay for upgrades as well as help secure financing for the new ships. This is in contrast to most other cruise lines where their fleet is all much newer, but still under debt. These multi-million/billion dollar ships take a while, and a lot of bookings, to pay for. Having a large portion of Carnival's fleet paid off enables those lower fares and other upgrades.

On an aside, I like the Fantasy class ships too. They may not be the prettiest for pictures, but they are smaller (less walking) and much less crowded. We recently got off the Breeze and, while I enjoyed the updated decor, I didn't enjoy the massive crowds and lines for everything, nor the extra walking (though a lot of that was our fault for booking a aft view balcony cabin and constantly having to walk all the way to or from the back anytime we needed to go anywhere.)

Have to fully agree regarding the hypothesis of the fully paid off ships in the fleet being major money makers to offset the smaller percentage of new builds with Carnival compared to their competitive counterparts.

But, with this being said, I would not sail on one of them ever again. Many people have the once you sail in a balcony cabin you can never go back to an inside theory. Mine is once you start sailing on the newer larger ships afloat, the older, smaller options just can't compare. Have enjoyed the NCL Escape multiple times and looking forward to our next three bookings on the MSC Seaside once and the Horizon twice. With the Bliss and the Edge on the ready bench.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...
Have to fully agree regarding the hypothesis of the fully paid off ships in the fleet being major money makers to offset the smaller percentage of new builds with Carnival compared to their competitive counterparts.

But, with this being said, I would not sail on one of them ever again. Many people have the once you sail in a balcony cabin you can never go back to an inside theory. Mine is once you start sailing on the newer larger ships afloat, the older, smaller options just can't compare. Have enjoyed the NCL Escape multiple times and looking forward to our next three bookings on the MSC Seaside once and the Horizon twice. With the Bliss and the Edge on the ready bench.

Yeah, the Fantasy Class have got to be cash cows at this point. With an easy layout, and a size that fits the short cruise market, I'm hoping they'll be around for a long time.

Kvaerner-Masa built them right, they've had relatively few issues over the years. Especially when compared to the total nightmares caused by Fincantieri built tonnage (the Splendor and Triumph fiascos).

As far as the newer and bigger bug, I must have the exact opposite. I've sailed everything from 16K gross tons up to the Oasis Class over the years. I still prefer older and smaller.

Up until the Dream class (not sure about from then on) Carnival only had one ship that it had talked a note on to build. That was the Triumph. The rest they had self financed.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

any new photos

If you search for #carnivalelation on instagram, there are a couple recent photos. One shows them just about done with the back of the ship... they are finishing the painting on the new addition to the hull at the waterline. Another recent photo shows the completed waterworks.

I wonder how many cabins they are adding to the forward section?

38 brand new cabins added including 2 Grand Vista suites offering floor-to-ceiling windows, plus 22 junior suites, 2 scenic ocean view cabins and 12 interior staterooms.

Balconies added to 98 existing staterooms.

They have updated the Elation information on Carnival's website & added the new deck plan.

Nice. I checked yesterday and all the elation deck plans had been taken off the site.

No Alchemy bar on the new deck plans. I know a lot of people will be disappointed at that. But since my wife and I aren't heavy drinkers, can someone explain what the excitement is about the Alchemy bar and what we will be missing when we're on the Elation next?

Nice. I checked yesterday and all the elation deck plans had been taken off the site.

No Alchemy bar on the new deck plans. I know a lot of people will be disappointed at that. But since my wife and I aren't heavy drinkers, can someone explain what the excitement is about the Alchemy bar and what we will be missing when we're on the Elation next?

There's a deck plan out there. It has Guys, Blue Iguana, Rum Bar, Tequilla Bar, and Waterworks. Those are the only changes I noticed from the ship I sailed on last year.

I have never been on a boat with the alchemy bar but I hear they have expert mixologists that make very good & elaborate drinks. We were looking forward to trying it out and hoping it would be added.

The alchemy bar has the best mixed drinks. They use real ingredients instead of the pre-made mixes like the other bars on the ship. The setup of the bar is great too, so it's easy to mix and mingle with other cruisers.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hopefully I'll be able to look at the new deck plans soon. My service here at work is spotty at best. DW is happy though, since we would've been something like the 7th or 8th sailing out of dry dock and now we should be in the first 4 or 5! SO looking forward to a Guy's burger and a Blue Iguana breakfast burrito! Lol!

I may be wrong, but it looks like they're adding balconies at the front way up where the golf course was.

Yep. They added a whole deck of new cabins (junior suites, plus super duper grand deluxe suites, and a few interior). The "sun" deck is now one deck higher, on top of all those new suites. The mini-golf got crammed on the back of that new deck.

Yep. They added a whole deck of new cabins (junior suites, plus super duper grand deluxe suites, and a few interior). The "sun" deck is now one deck higher, on top of all those new suites. The mini-golf got crammed on the back of that new deck.

Oh I saw that on the deck plan. A grand deck. I didn't remember being there.

Elation-14.jpg

The Alchemy Bar consists of mixologists concocting drinks made with fresh ingredients instead of the premade syrupy junk that most bars use. They will go off menu and custom design a drink for you. They will ask if your base alcohol should be vodka, rum, whiskey or tequila. They will then ask if you like it sweet, spicy, fruity, etc. They will also sometimes have infused alcohols such as a habanero infused tequila that I had on the Freedom a few years ago. All of the drinks there are 10.95, I believe, so it's real easy to get your monies worth when you have Cheers.

That will be a great place to be when the ship goes under the bridge!