Carnival Elation dry dock 2017

SCAnthony

It is clear that Carnival is committed to the Fantasy class for some time to come.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I know many on here don't like the fantasy class. However they are true work horses of the fleet and evidently bring in the revenue to keep them afloat. So I doubt that they will be going anywhere soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I know many on here don't like the fantasy class. However they are true work horses of the fleet and evidently bring in the revenue to keep them afloat. So I doubt that they will be going anywhere soon.

All you say is true. For their cost and revenue returned, I doubt that it will ever be matched.

Sent from my iPhone

I'm not sure that they have many other options at this particular point in time. Not much of a market for used cruise ships, unless someone crashes theirs and needs another in a hurry. It sure didn't take them long to sell off Grand Celebration to Bahamas Paradise Cruise Line when they found themselves in a crack. Now they have to find a home for Adonia, what with Fathom shutting down.

we cruise elation in feb and had a great time

always a fan of the class, having been on fascination a ton, and fantasy and sensation several times too

The décor was a nice change from what we'd seen on the others and looking forward to some upgrades but hate losing the Mongolian. whaddyagonna do though?

we also did ecstasy last oct and hit up elation in august just before the drydock and ecstasy in dec this year again too

jax is a easy port, no competition and the cruises there are usually cheaper than Charleston so we sail from there a couple times a year usually

I read an article a few years ago comparing carnival stock to RCCL stock. Basically carnival's stock was a better buy because their ships were a little older, but most of the ships were paid for. RCCL has a lot more newer ships and as such a much higher debt load. They have to charge higher prices, not because your getting a superior product, but because they have more outstanding debt.

For those that love carnival but bash the fantasy class ships. Understand they help keep the low price point that you enjoy low.

It was a great ship/crew already. Dry dock renovations can only add to what was a great cruise. Many of the cruise snobs won't consider the Elation because they "only sail the newer bigger ships" [emoji849]

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I've gotta say, I sailed Elation and won't again; partially it was b/c it was a smaller ship, and I didn't like the extra movement. However, the main reason was the condition of the cabins. THey were GROSS. Especially the bathroom. The whole thing smelled of urine, and it wasn't because they didn't clean, but because it was all old, and ingrained in the tile work. The main areas of this ship were very nice and clean, but...

I've gotta say, I sailed Elation and won't again; partially it was b/c it was a smaller ship, and I didn't like the extra movement. However, the main reason was the condition of the cabins. THey were GROSS. Especially the bathroom. The whole thing smelled of urine, and it wasn't because they didn't clean, but because it was all old, and ingrained in the tile work. The main areas of this ship were very nice and clean, but...

I'm glad they're redoing the bathrooms then! When we went on our first ship tour, they were already doing cabin renovations (carpet and bathrooms).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

My second cruise was on the Elation and she is getting balconies added as cruises for September 2017 forward you now have the option to book a balcony cabin on the website. I actually enjoy the smaller ships having sailed on the Celebration, Ecstasy, Elation and Fantasy. I'm currently booked on the Triumph out of New Orleans for my 10 year anniversary cruise but thinking of changing to the Elation out of Jacksonville since we can get a balcony now and the price difference is negligible.

Sailing out of Jax is easy breezy for me. I live here, we'll sail her after the upgrades. The Fascination was my Fav ship, was sad when she was replaced with the Elation. Had friends sail on her recently and enjoyed it.

same deal crazy 8 we sailed maybe 10 times on the fascianation all but one outta jax, our first time on it was Miami to key west and coz!

we squeezed on last sailing in before she left jax, and then we hit up elation in feb, we had a great time on her! and we sail elation again aug 12th now, we moved up from the 17th 4 day to get the 5 for a way better price pppd

I for sure am hoping they do the balconies the way they are on fasciantion! :) Our sailing on the 12th will bring us to a new destination as they now are sneaking some carnival ships into Princess Cays!

We're having our wedding on a November sailing so I had our group planner forward me the official dry-dock plans.

Dry Dock from 8/31/17-9/27/17

Routine hotel maintenance and cosmetic enhancements- We did a ship tour in April and they were already working on new carpet and tile in the cabins.

Cherry on Top (to replace Special Occasions)

Blue Iguana Cantina (to replace Mongolian Wok food service)

Guy's Burger Joint (to replace Off the Grill and Rotisierre food service)

Blue Iguana Tequila Bar (to replace pool bar)

Red Frog Rum Bar (to replace pool bar)

Camp Ocean (to replace Camp Carnival)

Water Works- the email had a note saying that this project wouldn't be completed during the dry dock but that it would open some time after the dry dock.

We're doing a final ship tour in October (to finalize things for the wedding). :)

I just spoke to my Carnival PVP and she confirmed everything that is listed. I am bummed that no Alchemy Bar is being installed. Oh well.

I do love smaller ships. I don't drink so bars aren't part of any booking equation. I have sailed the Elation twice out of NOLA, and will be sailing on her again, out of Jax on a 7 day cruise next May. three sea days. so heads up if you love smaller ships, but longer cruises, and JAX is such an easy embarkation point.

If you feel the need for a steak house, they do offer the steak house menu in the MDR, it charges a bit less than the steak house, because all you are getting is the steak, but most times if you want STEAK! it's worth it.

I only have one bad memory of the elation, the first time we cruised on her, the handle fell off of the bathroom stall up by the pool on a cold windy night, and I yelled for 10 minutes before any one heard me to get me out. wouldnt' have been bad if I had had my smokes with me. I am sure someone would have come immediately if I had lit up.:D

I only have one bad memory of the elation, the first time we cruised on her, the handle fell off of the bathroom stall up by the pool on a cold windy night, and I yelled for 10 minutes before any one heard me to get me out. wouldnt' have been bad if I had had my smokes with me. I am sure someone would have come immediately if I had lit up.:D

Oh, you know it. You may have even had a thread here on CC, dedicated to you and smoking in the bathrooms. LOL

Its great to see carnival start to schedule a few longer cruises for elation out of jax!:)

we have sailed on ncl's majesty years ago and on the fantasy for 7 days and one for 6 out of Charleston and we knew the fascination did do some longer cruises years ago from jax, but they'd locked it into the 4 and 5 day schedule for years before it moved

I'm gonna start looking for next fall maybe out of jax, we currently have a 3 week trip booked to and out of Hawaii on legend next spring but regarding our health and mobility issues, I'm gonna push on the old lady to change to a Hawaii round trip cruise - what we have planned is 3 days in the royal Hawaiian followed by an 11 day Hawaii to Vancouver and I'm thinking for sure I won't survive that, I already was gonna rent a scooter for my wifey! I think the rt thing might be more achievable, less flight times and all:confused: one things for sure, there will be visits to the docs for shots before we leave!

we do want to stick with carnival for the cruise though, we are right at 100k in cc points so that allows the 3\2 point dealio!

we have 4 cruises this year but next we'll only take two if we pull off the Hawaii deal....

• 3 weeks later...
Yes I know...as I am booked on her for October. She will go into dry dock on September 27th to October 9th...the reason why I chose October 21 is sometimes they don't finish what they need to do in dry dock and sometimes the first cruise after the dry dock may have restrictions because they will continue the work while the cruise is on with passengers.

They are replacing the Grill and rotisserie for Guy's Burger Joint

Replacing Mongolian Wok for the BlueIguana Cantina

Adding Alchemy Bar

Adding Cherry on Trop

crew area renovations

Hotel maintenance and cosmetic enhancements in public areas...new carpeting, wall coverings, tile and lighting

Actually, I saw a post where it said that the dry dock is going to be from August, somewhere around the 28- September sometime late September. We have a cruise booked on October 7th. It will be in dry dock for a month. On another post on critic they said they were putting balconies. Hopefully they will be ready.

Edited by Ditchdoctor

for sure, there are dates out there in the future that have at least balcony guarantee rates

some other have said this, so I checked vtg way out bookings and indeed they list balcony as a rate type

normally the suites are lumped into one type for bait and switch type ads, where you're cheapest sutie rate is the obstructed view verandah suites so only three rates appear in those ads for fantasy class ships without the rear and aft side balconies

so, it does look like balconies will be added like the fascination, ecstasy and sensation have, not sure how many other IONs have the balcony cabins like this

I just called CCL, customer service to see about upgrading to one of the new balconies. She said they aren't showing available for our 10/7 sailing. So she wait listed me, incase any come available. She said it can happen up to 24 hrs prior to sailing. I'm happy with our aft E deck cabin, either way. Looking at how they added balconies to other sister ships, our cabin is only 2 doors up from where they stop. I even tried to be slick & move 2 doors back. Nope. Neither side is available. We have to have 4 beds. Maybe those who aren't limited can change.

Also, last week a CSR said Elation IS getting Alchemy bar.

My opinion is, few really know exactly what updates she will get during dry dock. Elation IS getting Waterworks, but it's not guaranteed for our sailing. Fingers crossed they finish it, before we go.

Edited by LucyB.