Princess San Francisco Grand transportation from the South Bay. ....

On the ship

What kind of transportation do you take to the port in San Francisco from the South Bay? We have rented a car but wondered what the best way to get the port in San Francisco. I thought maybe Uber might be cheaper than renting a car. Don't feel like I want to take Bart or Cal Train. Thanks for any suggestions! On the Ship

I myself, use a car service. Picks me up at my house, drops me off right at the ship. It is a little more expensive, but no worries about returning a car or finding parking and walking and I don't have to drive in the traffic. Renting a car, how far is it drop off for the rental to the port?

Our upcoming cruise will be our third out of San Francisco and we usually hire a limo. We live 45 miles east of San Francisco and we don't want to leave our car in the city for 10 days. Uber, or a limo would be a toss up.

From the south bay: BART isn't a real option (how do you get there?); CalTrain leaves you off at 4th and King, with an awful long walk to the pier (and the trolley lines are not very luggage-friendly). Some sort of car trip is the only realistic option, I think. So your choices are hire a car, drive your car and park, or rent a car.

We opted for the latter. Avis doesn't charge a one-way penalty, and the total rental cost is less than it would cost to park my car in SF (for a 10-day cruise). The rental office (near Fisherman's Wharf) is about a mile from the pier, but I can drop off my SO and luggage, so it's just me either walking or on the trolley. If we had more people or a shorter cruise, the math might be different.

We live in San Mateo, have gone out of San Francisco many times in the past 10 years... we use a local taxi/limo service .. pay roughly $100 - $120 each way... well worth it. We use the same service to take us to the airport for trip out of the bay area so have developed a relationship with the driver.

We live in San Jose and always hire a limo. They are comfortable, clean, and relaxing. Not having to drive and look for parking is worth the extra cost. And, they will be there to waiting for us whenever the ship returns, even if it's late.

We much prefer to start our cruise relaxed, and end it the same way. Compared to the cost of a 10 day cruise including excursions, the cost is a mere drop in the bucket. And not that much more than the cost of parking for 10 days and gas to get there and back, and certainly much less of a hassle.

We do the same thing when flying out of SFO.

Edited by SantaFeFan

I myself, use a car service. Picks me up at my house, drops me off right at the ship. It is a little more expensive, but no worries about returning a car or finding parking and walking and I don't have to drive in the traffic. Renting a car, how far is it drop off for the rental to the port?

It takes my husband about 20 minutes to walk back to the port where he has dropped me off. There is additional time he has to spend returning the car to the rental place about 15 minutes if no one else is in line. I will share your post with him. Thank you!

I live in Santa Cruz and have a great shuttle service that picks me up at home in their Tesla and takes me to the pier in SF for about $110 and $10 for each additional passenger. They pick up after cruise too.

I live in Santa Cruz and have a great shuttle service that picks me up at home in their Tesla and takes me to the pier in SF for about $110 and $10 for each additional passenger. They pick up after cruise too.

Thanks will check around here in Campbell and see what they have for me.

We come from Oakland and hire Uber. There are two of us, and usually 304 suitcases, and we've always been able to get them in the car (I do worry our luggage won't fit, but so far, that hasn't been a problem).

Now that is a lot of suitcases! :eek:

We typically don't take roundtrip out of Sf, but coastals, so we have to fly home. We usually leave the car at the airport, and take Bart from there. If we don't have a lot of luggage we walk, but if we don't feel like we go across the street from the Bart station to the Hyatt Regency and get a cab. We live in Mountain View. We could potentially take Cal train to Bart, too.

Or we get my mom to drive us.

Oops ... meant 3 or 4 suitcases :-) Guess I didn't proof read what I wrote..

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My wife and I had a good laugh about that one. We figured that's what you meant but I just couldn't resist commenting on the number. Sorry about that. ;)

My wife and I had a good laugh about that one. We figured that's what you meant but I just couldn't resist commenting on the number. Sorry about that. ;)

No need to apologize - We got a good laugh out of my error too - I do vacation photo books, and my family always has to review my work before I hit the order button - there are always funny "typos".

We live in the East Bay and just take BART to Embarcadero station and roll our luggage to pier 27, short 15 - 20 minute walk (we are in our 60s). Last year we splurged and stayed at the Hyatt Regency the night before.

We live in the East Bay and just take BART to Embarcadero station and roll our luggage to pier 27, short 15 - 20 minute walk (we are in our 60s). Last year we splurged and stayed at the Hyatt Regency the night before.

We may try that . . . on our first cruise in 2026 when the BART station opens.

What kind of transportation do you take to the port in San Francisco from the South Bay? We have rented a car but wondered what the best way to get the port in San Francisco. I thought maybe Uber might be cheaper than renting a car. Don't feel like I want to take Bart or Cal Train. Thanks for any suggestions! On the Ship

Some people we met on the Grand in October Ubered to the port for around $75. They lived in the San Jose area, I think Sunnyvale?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

do you know what car service there is from San Jose? Thanks

do you know what car service there is from San Jose? Thanks

Just search for "San Jose limo service" and you will find several in the San Jose area. We have been using Le Grande Affaire for about twenty years now for all of our travel leaving out of San Francisco, whether to the cruise terminal, Amtrak out of Emeryville, or SFO. We also make arrangements for them to meet us on our return, and they have never let us down.

https://www.legrandeaffaire.com/