Tipping if the Owner is Your Guide

sotiris

On one of our upcoming private tours, the owner of the company will be our guide. Is it expected/appropriate to tip her? We do tip our guides but wondered if this was a different situation.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I understand your dilemma...you don't generally tip an OWNER of a business. If you feel you got more from your experience than you paid for...tip. If he/she refuses it....pocket it. Otherwise, give them a "thank you", too!

you don't generally tip an OWNER of a business.
I don't think that had been the case for a long time.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

I would love to see this tipping rule book [emoji6]

The tipping "rules" are so open to interpretation it's crazy. Do whatever you wish and makes you feel happy. Don't over think things, your on holiday.

Have a good trip

IMO, one should tip for the level of service received, regardless of who provided the service, owner or operator. Tipping is a personal decision so go with what you feel is appropriate.

There are very few countries where tipping in not the norm, i.e. Japan, so you would be politely refused.

Most etiquette experts still recommend not tipping the owner of a business.

Only those who are repeating what they said (or heard said) for the last fifty years or those are utterly tone-deaf to how society has changed during that period Of time. In the past, there were always masters and servants, and masters would never be the ones serving guests. The evolution of master-servants, people who own companies and also work for them, is a reflection of the expansion of the middle class. Not tipping someone because they are the owner of the business is unequivocally archaic.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

Only those who are repeating what they said (or heard said) for the last fifty years or those are utterly tone-deaf to how society has changed during that period Of time. In the past, there were always masters and servants, and masters would never be the ones serving guests. The evolution of master-servants, people who own companies and also work for them, is a reflection of the expansion of the middle class. Not tipping someone because they are the owner of the business is unequivocally archaic.

I bolded your last sentence because I would like to know what makes you so sure of this & what do you base this on? Are you an expert or a diplomat who travels a great deal & is well versed in travel etiquette?

BTW when I was working in the travel department of a an international carrier, we had experts give us classes in travel etiquette.. We were given many periodicals to read about travel & when asked some questions we were able to look them up.. Have you recently become an expert in travel etiquette?

I bolded your last sentence because I would like to know what makes you so sure of this & what do you base this on? Are you an expert or a diplomat who travels a great deal & is well versed in travel etiquette?
I traveled quite a bit yes as an international management consultant, but anyone relying on such "knowledge" to understand the nature of small businesses such a guy running a private cruise excursion company and leading half the excursions himself is exhibiting precisely the tone-deafness to changes in society to which I was referring.

BTW when I was working in the travel department of a an international carrier, we had experts give us classes in travel etiquette.
I'll have to reserve to myself my appraisal of how well those classes covered this topic. Let's just agree to disagree and leave it at that.