Issue with midday violent film on Adventure OTS 10-day

To everyone referencing the "venue" that the movie was shown in: you understand that the children's play area in question is located directly next to the main pool, correct? Just because Royal is a family line doesn't mean that 100% of the things onboard are going to be family friendly. Movies being shown on a pool deck with a bar on one end and a children's splash area at the other are never going to please everyone. If I was sitting at the main pool, I'd sure as hell rather watch this than Angry Birds.

OP, I don't think the movie was the best choice, but your overreaction was extreme. It's not that big of a deal.

Thank you. OP upset? Got it. Need for bold capital letters while informing board of employment credentials and past experience...twice. Getting away from gripe.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree. The kids were playing or watching the movie? I vote playing

Well, it would seem to me that they were watching it somewhat if they saw the horse get killed and saw all of the bloody gore.

Also, she said it was very loud- so perhaps it startled her children into looking up the movie screen at an inopportune time.

I don't think she is overreacting at all. She has the right to bring it to the attention of ship personnel and to RCCL management. That's not a great movie to be showing in middle of the day with a screen facing the kids area. Especially if they were showing Angry Birds movie at night. Why not just switch the two movies.

So sorry the kids had an unpleasant experience.

OP here. Gently, I think some posters can't see the forest for the trees. Royal Caribbean markets itself as a FAMILY cruise line, fit for all ages. They spend tens of millions a year on advertising just this very feature, and in 2016 enhanced the facilities for young children on this specific ship, which is why we chose it over Jewel. THEY ARE MARKETING DIRECTLY TO FAMILIES WITH YOUNG CHILDREN. My issue is that a violent film was shown during midday directly in front of the kids-only section on a ship that is supposed to cater to families. Whether my child is 2, 5, 8 or 10 is irrelevant.

........They've watched a few PG-13 movies, but only after we have viewed them for overly-violent content. If you are permitting your newly 5-year old pre-K child to watch "The Magnificant Seven", or if you think this is appropriate content for a small child, we're not going to see eye-to-eye....

I concur with you. There is NOTHING unreasonable about your expectations. I think you are a great and responsible parent for making sure the things your children watch are age appropriate and pre-screened for objectionable content. I am so sorry your children were frightened by this movie.

There is a difference between sheltering your children in a way that excludes them from the world and a way that protects them from situations with which they are not ready to deal. I have two nieces. One is 12 and the other is 6. At their age now, the appropriate material for them to watch MAY be a bit different. However, when they are together the 12 year old knows not to watch things that her little sister in not permitted to watch.

I see no issue with you removing yourself (and your children) from the situation and later making a calm rational complaint about what happened. Perhaps it will prevent that from happening in the future. Good for you!!

Personally, I don't see a problem with a PG13 movie being shown at 1:00 on a port day when most people aren't even on the ship.

Even when that PG-13 movie is played in front of a water park clearly designed for children younger than 13?

Let's call this for what it is, a clear mistake on the part of RC.

I'm child-free and generally in favor of adults-only areas being kept adults-only. I would pay extra for an adults-only cruise. I'm also cynical as heck.

... and I still don't think they should have been showing a movie with humans and horses being shot to death and bleeding in the middle of a kiddie waterpark in the middle of the afternoon.

People arguing about 'living in bubbles' etc are coming across as quite cheerleadery and deluded. These are little tiny kids we're talking about, not college students. Would you sit your five-year-old down in front of something like Game of Thrones?

Also, it's super obvious that well surely you complained whilst you were still onboard is shorthand for 'if you didn't make a fuss at the time your complaint is invalid', which in turn is a backhanded way of blaming the victim.

It is a good idea to complain to customer service, it helps. On a recent cruise on a another line, the ship's photographers went into the kids camp and took pictures of the children. These proofs were available where all other pictures are displayed. The problem--the child's name and cabin were clearly visible on there name tag. Not too much of a problem for the little ones who can't leave the kids area without parent. But the kids about 9-10 or older who could sign themselves out...... I contacted the youth program department on the ship about safety for the children and also customer service after we got home. Needless to say, there were no more photographs taken with the children's name tag and cabin number

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Forums mobile app

Even when that PG-13 movie is played in front of a water park clearly designed for children younger than 13?

Let's call this for what it is, a clear mistake on the part of RC.

Can't help but notice you deleted the part of my post that said I wasn't unsympathetic to the OP.

I am a mother of a 6 year old...I allow for PG 13 movies on a case by case basis and I would not allow my child to watch this specific movie personally....

I do think that was bad planning on Royals behalf (an actual error maybe between the bird movie) BUT I also think the OP is over reacting...it was her right to remove her child from the area if the movie was upsetting to her child but as others stated the real world is a scarier place then any movie and it is up to us as parents to teach our children the difference between reality and make believe...just as I teach my child "no you can't fly like peter pan" I have to teach him that "yes there are bad guys out there who do bad things" etc (lessons taught age appropriately of course)......so in the OP's position I would have used it as a learning lesson and moved on to something more geared to my child's comfort level...but I do not consider this the boats responsibility but mine as a parent.

I am a mother of a 6 year old...I allow for PG 13 movies on a case by case basis and I would not allow my child to watch this specific movie personally....

I do think that was bad planning on Royals behalf (an actual error maybe between the bird movie) BUT I also think the OP is over reacting...it was her right to remove her child from the area if the movie was upsetting to her child but as others stated the real world is a scarier place then any movie and it is up to us as parents to teach our children the difference between reality and make believe...just as I teach my child "no you can't fly like peter pan" I have to teach him that "yes there are bad guys out there who do bad things" etc (lessons taught age appropriately of course)......so in the OP's position I would have used it as a learning lesson and moved on to something more geared to my child's comfort level...but I do not consider this the boats responsibility but mine as a parent.

There is a really interesting contradiction happening here.

1) Violent movies are okay because kids needs to learn about how scary real life is

2) Violent movies are okay because kids need to learn the difference between fantasy and real life

Which is it?

Are you telling your kids that the violence is real life and they should get used to it, or are you telling them it's fantasy?

And again ... are any of you making this argument actually exposing your kids to violent tv/movies, intentionally, in order to deliver the somewhat muddled lesson described above? "Don't worry, kid, that's fake blood, and by the way real life is much worse?" Yikes.

Would also be curious to know how many of you making the 'real life is worse' argument expect to have your child witnessing a horse or person get shot to death anytime soon.

After reading many of these responses about over-reacting I have to wonder how they would feel about them showing "Girls Gone Wild" mid-afternoon as long as it was listed in the Cruise Compass?

Everything is real life, it's a big ship so people could use other areas, the children's area is closed. For many people, those movies are perfectly acceptable and show perfectly legal things. It is the responsibility of the passenger to read the Cruise Compass and plan accordingly. No issue, right?

By the way...that was tongue in cheek. Most people would deem that inappropriate but it fits the criteria many in this thread are promoting.

There is a really interesting contradiction happening here.

1) Violent movies are okay because kids needs to learn about how scary real life is

2) Violent movies are okay because kids need to learn the difference between fantasy and real life

Which is it?

Are you telling your kids that the violence is real life and they should get used to it, or are you telling them it's fantasy?

And again ... are any of you making this argument actually exposing your kids to violent tv/movies, intentionally, in order to deliver the somewhat muddled lesson described above? "Don't worry, kid, that's fake blood, and by the way real life is much worse?" Yikes.

Would also be curious to know how many of you making the 'real life is worse' argument expect to have your child witnessing a horse or person get shot to death anytime soon.

I would argue both #1 and #2....violence is real so I do want to prepare him for the real world...similarly how I am not a fan of sports not keeping score...while I always would love it if my kid was a "winner" I realize we don't always win in the real world and therefore believe he should be taught how to lose.....same thing...I'd love to think he'll never have to deal with violence but I know he will so would like him to be as prepared as possible to do so....

And I also find it equally important to teach him real world vs fantasy...for example we are really big on Halloween in our home he he's always been exposed to spooky decorations, costumes and themes and we always just explain it as you referenced "that is just plastic or that is fake blood" etc...so when his little buddies are scared that the purple monster in in their closet my little guy knows enough to know that doesn't happen in the reality....so I teach both that yes there is real violence in this world and we need to learn how to deal with it, but that when you watch a movie or read a book or dress up for Halloween that that is just pretend....so to me those are two different life lessons that I could touched upon of from the OP's movie experience.

Something along the lines of "yes unfortunately in this world some people are not always nice to animals, that's why we have to take extra good care of our doggies at home. But remember this is only a movie and so no horse was actually hurt and he's probably eating a carrot right now"

Edited by famof4togo

Can't help but notice you deleted the part of my post that said I wasn't unsympathetic to the OP.

Wasn't trying to misrepresent your comment, just wanted to respond to a refrain I saw throughout this thread and I thought you said it in the clearest way.

Younger children always take on the mindset of their parent/s. If the parent is cool and calm or very upset then the child reacts the same way, they just think they are supposed to.

Pretty much the child's reaction is the parent

OP I am so on your side. Truly, folks, it is up to the parents to decide on what is appropriate/not appropriate for each individual child. I believe the OP was correct in addressing this with RCCL. She signed her children up for the waterpark not the PARENTAL GUIDANCE-13 movie. Should be a G rated movie if it is being shown within vicinity of a child's area. Honestly, this laissez-faire attitude of letting young children being exposed to "everything" and defining it as a teaching moment makes me sick. Let kids be kids.....and enjoy their youth.

AND right on time come the "Royal Caribbean can do no wrong" brigade.

First, understand that this movie was LOUD. We walked out just before the final scene was beginning. It was quiet dialogue (honestly, I was tending to my children and didn't even look up at the screen), and then all of the sudden it was so loud you couldn't even speak without yelling. There was no escaping the gunshots, horses whinnying as they collapsed, and sounds of people dying on screen. In fact, once I realized what movie was playing I noticed that NO children were playing on Splashaway Bay. And this was during the middle of the day, during one of the 5.5 hours the aquapark was open that day.

As I wrote in my correspondence to RCI: "Some might argue that if I'd merely consulted my cruise compass, I would have known about the movie, but that's missing the point. I shouldn't have to verify that a "family-friendly" cruise line is showing acceptable entertainment directly in front of an attraction built specifically for younger children during the precious few hours that attraction is open."

I presume many of you who say I'm over-reacting either don't have children, or don't have an issue with young children viewing gunshots, blood and gore. Bottom line: THIS WAS INAPPROPRIATE DAYTIME ENTERTAINMENT ON A "FAMILY-FRIENDLY" CRUISE LINE, which is how Royal spends millions marketing itself.

Splashaway Bay is geared specifically for the under-13 set, so what makes you think a violent movie is appropriate to show at 1pm directly in front of this attraction? And don't tell me that RCI just "assumed" it was fine because the rating was PG-13. They have discretion in what movies they select. I realize not all PG-13's are made equal; my problem isn't with the rating system, my problem is with RCI's decision to show a movie contain death and gore in front of the primary children's "pool" area during the main hours children use that area.

Oh Boy, actually you should had you read the cruise compass your motherly insticnts might have kicked in and you wouldn't have been on the pool deck at that time. Oh and can you get any more dramatic!....K.O.....:loudcry:

I'm surprised at how many people think this is ok. The reality is RC is very much trying to market itself to Disney customers and claims it is very family friendly. As a result of this marketing, a lot of families that might otherwise go on Disney go on RC because it's usually cheaper.

My 8 year old has seen one or two PG13 movies, but generally we stick to PG, which is a pretty common approach among families with younger kids. There's no scenario where RC can claim to cater to families with young kids and at the same time play violent PG13 movies in front of the kids play area. Put it in a theatre if they want to show that type of movie during the day. It's basic common sense. If you want to call yourself family friendly, daytime poolside entertainment also needs to be family friendly.

And I'd like to thank the original poster for posting here because it would never have in a million years occurred to me that I needed to check the movie schedule before taking my son to the splash park.

At first I was thinking "oh come on, total overreaction" ... then read a little more and thought a little more... and you are totally right.

We tend not to think of the ratings beyond "R" and "Everything else" - it's a PG13 movie, what's the problem? Well, it means material may be inappropriate for children under 13. This is not a proper movie choice for that venue.

I love the "my kids know real from fake" crowd. Kids are all different. I have a 4 year old who is totally fine with gunshots and some minor violence on TV and probably wouldn't have thought anything of that movie playing. But get him near a fake dinosaur at Disneyland or a pirate character on the cruise ship and he's in tears. Try not to be so judgmental.

Obviously this persons child was traumatized by the content in the movie and that's totally ok. That's why it has a PG13 rating, a 5 year old might find the content disturbing. Hopefully Royal will take the criticism and rethink their movie choices at the venue at that time of day. I'm certain it was unintentional and innocent, but now they know.

I think Royal Caribbean should not show PG 13 movies (or R rated movies) in public settings where not only do children below 13 have access, but they can't really avoid seeing the movie without missing out on major activities (like a pool). However, I am sympathetic with the cruise line because there are very few G or PG movies being made--they tend to be limited to children's movies rather than movies adults would enjoy. Also I have seen PG 13 movies and wondered how it got that rating--there was nothing at all objectionable in it (like "Florence Foster Jenkins" -- an adult movie because no child would want to watch it, but nothing PG in it at all) or it looked like more of an R movie to me. PG 13 has become the default rating for almost all movies that aren't animated children's movies leaving the cruise lines with few choices.

Remembering back when there was no PG13...it went from PG to R...I have been shocked a few times when I let my 6 year old watch a just "PG" movie from the 80's where there was no middle ground...PG used to get away with a lot more....but I suppose its all relative when you look at some of the really old Disney movies or even Christmas shows for kids....they were a lot darker and dealt with more shock topics back then vs the tree hugging PC movies nowadays....

To begin, I agree that Royal, and all cruise lines, should consider what they put on the outside screens. Particularly in the daytime if children are in the vicinity. I've seen a good variety of entertainment on these screens during the day including movies, music concert videos, and sports. Movies aren't the only venue to see violence. Football and hockey have their own brand of violence, as well. How you deal with each is dependent on the parent. I don't think there has been a time where we haven't looked up to see what was on the screen when entering the area. Sometimes I wonder why they put some of the garbage they do on the big screen. After the initial observation I do leave the area and find something else to do. We have not cruised when our daughter was that young, but I can assure you, had there been entertainment with inappropriate content, they would have heard right away what my thoughts were. Well written letters to corporate have limited success.

Could this have been a teachable moment for a child? Of course. How we react to such things leave an imprint on young little minds. I grew up watching Bambi and Old Yeller knowing what happened to them without seeing the gory details. Those were my first memories in dealing with death and dying. Not long after I watched TV and movies where cowboys, Indians, and soldiers did get shot and killed. Gratuitous violence has reached PG-13.

Did the OP overreact? I don't think so, but she'd better prepare for much worse and be prepared to have a calm discussion when it does occur. Situational awareness is now a norm. Best of luck.

Edited by LarryL

AND right on time come the "Royal Caribbean can do no wrong" brigade.

First, understand that this movie was LOUD. We walked out just before the final scene was beginning. It was quiet dialogue (honestly, I was tending to my children and didn't even look up at the screen), and then all of the sudden it was so loud you couldn't even speak without yelling. There was no escaping the gunshots, horses whinnying as they collapsed, and sounds of people dying on screen. In fact, once I realized what movie was playing I noticed that NO children were playing on Splashaway Bay. And this was during the middle of the day, during one of the 5.5 hours the aquapark was open that day.

As I wrote in my correspondence to RCI: "Some might argue that if I'd merely consulted my cruise compass, I would have known about the movie, but that's missing the point. I shouldn't have to verify that a "family-friendly" cruise line is showing acceptable entertainment directly in front of an attraction built specifically for younger children during the precious few hours that attraction is open."

I presume many of you who say I'm over-reacting either don't have children, or don't have an issue with young children viewing gunshots, blood and gore. Bottom line: THIS WAS INAPPROPRIATE DAYTIME ENTERTAINMENT ON A "FAMILY-FRIENDLY" CRUISE LINE, which is how Royal spends millions marketing itself.

Splashaway Bay is geared specifically for the under-13 set, so what makes you think a violent movie is appropriate to show at 1pm directly in front of this attraction? And don't tell me that RCI just "assumed" it was fine because the rating was PG-13. They have discretion in what movies they select. I realize not all PG-13's are made equal; my problem isn't with the rating system, my problem is with RCI's decision to show a movie contain death and gore in front of the primary children's "pool" area during the main hours children use that area.

I have a 3 year old (almost 4, in June) and while I do think there could have been a better choice of movie, I would not have been seriously upset. Definitely not upset enough to go to cruise critic and put it online. It would have been a sort of "blip" on my radar. I'm definitely not a "RCI can do no wrong" person either. I possibly would have said something to a staff member but then again I'm not familiar with the movie.

This whole situation doesn't surprise me especially since you weren't in the US. Go to Mexico and see their "safe" excursions and you'll be shocked. Haha. There are definitely different levels of what people think is appropriate for children. It definitely varies especially with cultures as well, Americans being by far the most sheltered. Most of the cruise staff is not American. I don't know, I just think it wouldn't have been that odd to see a semi-inappropriate movie playing on a cruise ship where there are many different cultures, especially within the staff. It still isn't 100% ok, but not surprising. I would have been much more surprised in a United States based resort.

Edited by jetta8300

I probably would have said something to guest services, and they probably would have said, 'we have never had a complaint about this before!', making me even more annoyed. Then maybe write a letter about it when I got home (if it had upset my children).

Hi all! We recently returned from the Adventure of the Seas 10-day itinerary. This was our fifth cruise on Royal, which is typically our preferred line when cruising with our kids. I'll post a brief trip report later this week, but did want to post about an issue we had on this cruise, and find out if anyone else has had this problem.

We were traveling with our two children, ages 5 and 7. As some of you may know, Adventure recently received Splashaway Bay, a water playground for children. This area is directly in front of the big movie screen at the main pool.

The day we were in Barbados, my husband and I did a short excursion alone and had the kids in Adventure Ocean until about 2pm. Afterwards, the kids were begging to go to the water park.

I had not consulted the Compass (didn't think I needed to as Royal Caribbean bills itself as a family cruise line), but apparently the 1:00pm movie was the remake of "The Magnificent Seven," which is rated PG-13. HOWEVER, this movie is exceptionally violent in parts, especially the final gunfight scene.

As we go outside around 2:30 (note this all happened very quickly), the sound system is blaring loud enough that I covered my ears. As I'm trying to take stock of what's going on, my 5-year old saw a character and horse get "killed" in the movie and immediately burst in to tears. Blood and bullets everywhere on screen. Correction: not just tears, we're talking choking sobs. Needless to say we shuffled them inside immediately and soothed our children.

It takes a lot to make me complain on vacation, but why the h*ll were they playing a violent movie directly in front of the kids water park during midday? The water park is only open from 12:30pm-5:30pm. We had to coax them to return to the pool area in the following days.

The best part? The evening movie (being played twice) that evening was The Angry Birds Movie. What genius decided to run the kids movie at night, and an adult movie during the day?

Anyway, I'm going to write RCI customer service directly, but wanted to make people aware that this occurred. At first I wondered if I was being overly sensitive, but we were on a family-friendly cruise line, and I don't feel as if I should have to check for acceptable content during the middle of the day in front of the kids' water park.

I think you're confusing the term family friendly with something that doesn't exist. Doesn't Hooters try to call themselves a family friendly place??...would you take your children there? I haven't gone through all the posts on the thread and someone may have said it already but, this was a port day and they do tend to not play kiddie stuff at times when they expect mainly some adults to be onboard doing stuff. In the end though, it is your fault for not checking the compass for what was going on. It's not different than if you walked into any venue with the kids and hadn't checked and realized there was an adult themed comedian in there and your kids hear a bunch of bad words. This wasn't the middle of the day on a sea day so, if it was that, I'd agree on the timing on a family friendly cruise line. I'm sure you'll get a fake apology from RCCL but really don't think they owe one here.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've already responded many pages back and have a new light to add to my original response.

Do not allow your children to ever go to the pool area as some bathing suits, women AND men are rated over PG-13

Do not allow your children to watch the flo rider as accidents do happen where they will see butt cracks and boobs.

Do not allow your children out of your cabin at any time as some passengers dress a bit over the top requiring an R rating.

Do not allow your children to watch Grease as they may start smoking.

By the way, the bananas are next to the catsup and mayo.

Next time cruise Disney......please

I find it funny how things go around CC. Kids seeing and being upset by graphic violence = suck it up and no reason to complain. People wearing shorts in the dining room = complaints to guest service, the CEO, and 100 page threads on how horrible and disrespectful people are.