Issue with midday violent film on Adventure OTS 10-day

Although that's excellent idea, then you will have parents complain of some of the lyrics or dance moves that are rated PG-13.

'You can please some of the people some of the time but not all the people all the time" Bob Dylan

I think that's far fetched, have you been onboard a Princess ship? They play concerts during the day and there's nothing lewd or obscene. That said, someone always just HAS to be offended, so your point isn't without merit.

If the movies and music are no good just turn the screen off during the day and use it at night for outdoor movies. Even simpler.

The band can play Bob Marley for the 78th time that week instead.

How many Star Wars movies have you seen?

• The Phantom Menace - Darth Maul cut in half at the end of the movie by Obi-Wan
  • The Clone Wars - Jango Fett beheaded by Mace Windu
  • Revenge of the Sith - Anakin Skywalker has an arm and both legs cut off by Obi-Wan and then is engulfed in fire as his body slides down near the molten rock.
  • A New Hope - An entire planet is destroyed! A patron of the cantina on Tatooine has an arm cut off by Obi-Wan. Luke's aunt and uncle's severely burned corpses are seen smoldering at their farm. X-Wing pilots are shown in their cockpits dying as their ships blow up.
  • The Empire Strikes Back - Luke cuts the arm off a Wampa after it captures him and is preparing to eat him. Han Solo slices open the belly of a Tauntaun exposing its entrails so he can use the animals body heat to keep Luke warm. Luke cuts the head off an aspiration that appears like Darth Vader while training on Dagobah with Yoda. Later in the movie Darth Vader cuts of Luke's hand.
  • Return of the Jedi - A Gamorrean guard is eaten whole by the Rancor. The Rancor is later killed when Luke closes the steel gate on its head. Princess Leia physically choked Jabba the Hutt to death with her chain. Stromtroopers are killed when their speeder bikes crash into trees and explode on Endor. Luke cuts of the hand of Darth Vader.

I am curious what your definition of "gory" is? Is it only gory if you see blood? The severing of limbs and the burning of bodies sounds like a lot more than someone getting bashed in the head and then falling down.

The definition of gore is bloody so I would agree Star Wars isn't gory.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

I think that's far fetched, have you been onboard a Princess ship? They play concerts during the day and there's nothing lewd or obscene. That said, someone always just HAS to be offended, so your point isn't without merit.

If the movies and music are no good just turn the screen off during the day and use it at night for outdoor movies. Even simpler.

The band can play Bob Marley for the 78th time that week instead.

My point is as you said ........and I believe we agree, if no movies or concerts are shown during the day, we'd complain about Royal not using the big screen.

If Bob Marley were to be shown, someone will complain about his drug use and not about his music. "what example are we setting for our children"

You can't win.

My husband watched this movie one night with me in the room and I still feel sick thinking about it, and I was only half watching. I had to leave the room. I can't imagine letting my kids watching that so I agree with the OP on this one. This doesn't seem at all like an over reaction to me. And I'm not a movie prude when it comes to my kids, but I do remember this one being especially bad.

Save the screen for nighttime movies of all varieties and during the day time when pool is in use limit it to music / live concerts. Problem solved.

I agree and unless I wasn't spending enough port time on the ship I think Royal pretty much followed that routine for a long time.

Great point. Many other nations also have an interesting and novel idea called "using common sense." Americans are very sheltered- and a lot of it comes from our litigious culture. When you have to put a warning on a knife that says it is sharp and could cut something, well that doesn't speak well for common sense. When you have to put a warning on an oven, stove or grill that says it can reach a temperature sufficient to burn something or someone- well duh!!!

My point exactly. I still think it's an inappropriate movie to play probably during the day. But again not surprising outside of the US.

We have been to many all inclusives in Mexico and taken many excursions through 5 star hotels. One they advertised as a "family friendly, guided 5 minute bike ride to Tulum" and it was supposed to be only a high of 80 degrees that day according to them. Well it was a 45 minute bike ride at least, on bikes with ZERO brakes working, in 112 degree heat.

Another excursion they advertised as a safe low activity family excursion for snorkeling and didn't tell us we would have to swim a half mile back to shore against a strong current. Back then As two 25 year old physically fit newlyweds we barely made it. We have also seen R rated movies playing on the beach at those hotels at 8pm right next to kids clubs. Nothing outside of the US surprises me. Anything goes a lot of times.

My point is as you said ........and I believe we agree, if no movies or concerts are shown during the day, we'd complain about Royal not using the big screen.

If Bob Marley were to be shown, someone will complain about his drug use and not about his music. "what example are we setting for our children"

You can't win.

The collective "we" might complain about it not being used, but personally I would not. It's a lot more "tranquil" with it off.

As to the Bob Marley reference that goes for the lido bands that seem to have a 5 song repertoire that has been on repeat daily for the last 25 years.

Just like other issues, they have to make the smart choice for the majority of the cruisers. I don't know the movie in discussion here, but a PG-13 movie with gory scenes is at least a bit of a headscratcher for a daytime caribbean flick. Something more subdued, or nothing at all, seems better to me. Or just put up some kind of rotating tropical screensaver. I'm not anti-movie or anything, I just think a better use for that would be at night.

I agree that the movie is too violent for 5-7 year olds. I wouldn't let my grandson watch it and he will turn 5 in a few months. My own children did see & hear things that were probably not age appropriate when they were home with us & we used those instances as teaching moments. However, there is a big difference between sitting with your parents watching something on a normal tv at home vs seeing that type of violence on a blaring jumbotron.

Thanks for the heads up, OP, about the movie choices that RCL makes for the pool area during the day.

To the people that disagree with the OP, and say its no big deal, that the OP is a snowflake.....At your house, the fire is crackling, Ma Edna just took the apple pie out of the oven, Rover is chewing his bone in the corner. A light snow is falling. Ding dong - hey, the grand kids are here, ages 6, 8, 10. Uncle Johnny is 5 minutes away with the 5 year old twins. Hey Edna, Edna! What should I throw on the TV for background noise? Hey, HEY, check it out, Amazon delivered <inset favorite PG-13 movie> yesterday. Perfect! Crank up the volume and hit play. As Uncle Johnny's two brats come bursting thru the door, ol' Mr. Ed gets blown away on the 65" plasma in glorious Dolby surround sound. Who wants a piece of pie?

Is there anything wrong with <inset favorite PG-13 movie>? No.

Is there anything wrong with watching <inset favorite PG-13 movie> with your rugrats when you plan for it? No.

Is it a good idea to have PG-13 movies playing in all scenarios? Mmmmmmm, I dunno.

Have to agree, PG would have been fine, but PG-13 should probably be saved for the theater where people actually look to see what is playing before entering.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oh my goodness. Sorry, OP is over-reacting. The one thing I know as a parent is that we have NO control. You need to educate your children about right and wrong, and appropriate choices, because I can promise you cannot shield them from everything you don't like.

I am interested in hearing RCI's response regarding who decides which movies to play when. On our last Med cruise, RCI started playing "American Sniper" - an R rated movie -on the pool screen in the late afternoon. It was definitely an odd choice. Within a few minutes the film was stopped due to a complaint to one of the officers on deck.

Would I have allowed either of my kids to see either American Sniper or The Magnificent Seven when they were 5 or 7 y.o.? Absolutely not. Would I be happy as a parent of a child that such a movie was being played on the pool deck in the afternoon? Absolutely not. Would I demand the movie be stopped? Absolutely not, I would just go elsewhere on the ship. Would I bring the issue to the attention of RCI and encourage more care go into decisions on what is played where and when? Maybe. Did it ruin my cruise because a movie was stopped due to a complaint? Absolutely not. Had I really wanted to see the movie I would have seen it at a movie theater.

Did my children somehow grow up to be well adjusted young adults, knowing right from wrong, reality from fantasy and being independent enough to live on their own in cities far away from home even though I would not let them watch violent filled PG-13 and R movies at the age of 5 and 7? Absolutely.

This was a fault of the cruise director, who is getting paid to entertain passengers, and to do so appropriately. PG 13 is rated so for a reason, therefore should not be shown in places or at times when it would be reasonable to expect under 13s to be in the audience.

It would seem to me to be a parents right to decide when and what they allow their children to view, and how they deal with explaining to them what they have seen. A vacation is for all to enjoy, not for parents to be forced into teaching opportunities, when a simple and appropriate solution would be for unsuitable films to be aired either in theatres or in the evenings, not beside a pool used by children during the daytime.

I am sorry that the OP has been subjected to some of the comments on this thread. If some of the posters think their child rearing practices are appropriate, then they should respect that the OPs different views are also valid.

If parents choose to expose their children to age inappropriate material, they can seek this out, but not make it difficult for someone like the OP to reasonably expect to avoid it.

The definition of gore is bloody so I would agree Star Wars isn't gory.

While that may be one of the definitions for gore, it is not the only. Gore is also used to describe murder and violence. While gore usually does include blood, it doesn't have to. So, in your opinion, Star Wars may not be gory, but it is per the definition of gory.

While that may be one of the definitions for gore, it is not the only. Gore is also used to describe murder and violence. While gore usually does include blood, it doesn't have to. So, in your opinion, Star Wars may not be gory, but it is per the definition of gory.

adjective, gorier, goriest.

1.covered or stained with gore; bloody.

2.resembling gore.

3.involving much bloodshed and violence: a gory battle.

4.unpleasant or disagreeable: to reveal the gory details of a divorce.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/gory?s=t

Bloody and bloodshed. Sounds like it has to include blood to me. I guess you could call Star Wars unpleasant or disagreeable, but then you're just wrong.

Edited by jnamadison
formatting

adjective, gorier, goriest.

1.covered or stained with gore; bloody.

2.resembling gore.

3.involving much bloodshed and violence: a gory battle.

4.unpleasant or disagreeable: to reveal the gory details of a divorce.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/gory?s=t

Bloody and bloodshed. Sounds like it has to include blood to me. I guess you could call Star Wars unpleasant or disagreeable, but then you're just wrong.

I would prefer to use a different site for definitions but to be consistent, I'll used dictionary.com as well.

They define gore as:

noun

1. blood that is shed, especially when clotted.

2. murder, bloodshed, violence, etc.:

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/gore

And they define bloodshed as:

noun

1. destruction of life, as in war or murder; slaughter.

2. the shedding of blood by injury, wound, etc.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/bloodshed

Oddly enough, the first definition of bloodshed makes no mention of blood. We can go back and forth all day if you want. However, by definition, the violence one sees in Star Wars meets these definitions. The presumption that one MUST see blood in order for something to meet the definition of gore, gory, or bloodshed is just plain false.

noun

1. destruction of life, as in war or murder; slaughter.

2. the shedding of blood by injury, wound, etc.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/bloodshed

Oddly enough, the first definition of bloodshed makes no mention of blood. We can go back and forth all day if you want. However, by definition, the violence one sees in Star Wars meets these definitions. The presumption that one MUST see blood in order for something to meet the definition of gore, gory, or bloodshed is just plain false.

Given that the second definition DOES include blood, we could go back and forth. Yes, not ever sliver of every definition and sub-definition includes blood. However, the way it was originally used was obviously referencing the bloody nature of one vs the other. Context is key. And in this context, blood was included.

Given that the second definition DOES include blood, we could go back and forth. Yes, not ever sliver of every definition and sub-definition includes blood. However, the way it was originally used was obviously referencing the bloody nature of one vs the other. Context is key. And in this context, blood was included.

Agree. As I said before Royal has shown these kind of movies for 30 yrs that I know of, it isn't going to change...

Anyway, I'm going to write RCI customer service directly, but wanted to make people aware that this occurred. At first I wondered if I was being overly sensitive, but we were on a family-friendly cruise line, and I don't feel as if I should have to check for acceptable content during the middle of the day in front of the kids' water park.

I agree with you. I'm glad you are planning to let RCI know how you feel about it. This was bad planning on their part. Although you have received support, you have also received far too much denigration from many on this thread. The Moderators can remove this thread since these particular posts are in violation of the Cruise Critic Guidelines. Have you considered contacting the Moderators?

Context can be subjective. Sure, gory can include blood, but it doesn't have to. I am making no arguments that when the OP used the word "gory" they were referencing the display of blood. However, the devil is in the details and if the definition of gory doesn't require the presence of blood to meet the definition then one can argue that severed limbs and burned bodies can be considered gory. To state it isn't just because blood is not seen? Please! If lightsabers weren't so efficient at cauterizing wounds as they severed limbs, we wouldn't be having this conversation. However, there were several examples I gave in my initial post that did show a presence of blood.