Issue with midday violent film on Adventure OTS 10-day

Who let their 5-year old watch "The Hurt Locker"?

Star Wars shows some moderate violence, but it isn't gory. It's like what they see on cartoons where somebody gets bashed in the head and falls down. While I don't love that kind of mild-moderate violent content, I recognize that I have boys and there is something inherent in them that makes them more physical.

Everyone's line is somewhere else, I guess. Frankly, I don't mind if my kids hear some curse words or see minor sex scenes or nudity (the latter are normal human conditions).

I wanted to point this particular situation out because it felt like a poor choice of time and venue. That's it.

OP back here. Wow this went on more than I intended. I was just trying to give a constructive complaint about the location and time selection of a violent movie. I don't agree that I should have to check the cruise compass to make sure there is not a violent movie playing in front of the 10 and under Kid's Aquapark during the hours it is open. That doesn't make me negligent, helicopter, neurotic or any other names I've been called. A mod deleted some of this thread, but I have been called some very inappropriate and unfounded names by some members.

Does anyone have a recent Compass? I'm just curious as to how much detail goes into the film descriptions. Does it list any objectionable material (ie, brief nudity, language, etc)?

I'm in the 'I somewhat agree with the op' camp however I'm leaning towards 'I don't see the big issue'. Its been mentioned that this movie should have been shown later and Angry Birds shown instead. My question is, have you seen Angry Birds? Its called Angry Birds for a reason and there is a lot of violence. Yes, its hidden behind animation but its very very violent. If you think that movie is okay, I don't see why Magnificent Seven isn't.

JMO and only JMO. I would not let my 5 year old watch Angry Birds because that's the movie he/she would be apt to try to mimic. We all have to do what is best for our children. Sorry you had a bad experience op, I truly am.

Thank you, my thoughts exactly! Just think if movie "Bambi" was shown? Remember what happens in that Disney movie? Old Yeller?

Edited by ONECRUISER

RCCL advertises to ALL segments of the cruising population - not just young families. They have to consider ALL demographics in their on board decisions.

I agree. I just think that the calculus should lean more toward the least objectionable content given the time and location for the event. If the kids park is only open for limited hours, gear toward kids (or music, or something anodyne) during that period. If a certain bar was only open for a few hours a day, I would think it dumb to schedule a Hello Kitty Island Adventure party in that venue during that time.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I've never looked at the screen and said "ye gods, this is not nearly gory or sexy enough for my tastes."

Does anyone have a recent Compass? I'm just curious as to how much detail goes into the film descriptions. Does it list any objectionable material (ie, brief nudity, language, etc)?

Ok thanks. Unless I'm missing it, it looks like the only descriptor is the rating, so you'd have to have some familiarity with The Magnificent Seven to know whether you felt it was appropriate at that time in that venue.

I can tell you that I've never in my entire cruising experience looked at the Compass to see what movie was playing before going to the pool and up until now never questioned what I've seen on the screen except for those loud ear busting music videos on Carnival. That said, I thoroughly enjoyed The Magnificent Seven because I'm a Denzel fan but wondered what they were thinking showing it at one in the afternoon.

Ugh, I haven't seen the movie yet. Now I know horses get killed. No reason to watch it now. I hate spoilers. :(

I'm happy about the spoiler. I have no interest in seeing horses get killed Hollywood style or otherwise.

Oh my, another of those much ado about nothing Posts:rolleyes:.

OP, get over it and move on - to other cruise lines that is. If I´d be at RCI you´d get a canned appology from me with no further Actions taken.

Yes you are over sensitive.

Agreed, tenfold. They're on vacation. Still though, this thread was highly entertaining. Now I want to see the movie.

I can tell you that I've never in my entire cruising experience looked at the Compass to see what movie was playing before going to the pool...

That's a good point. I thought the Compass comments were a little unreasonable too. I would never think to check the movie schedule in the Compass if all I wanted to do was go to the pool.

OP I am so on your side. Truly, folks, it is up to the parents to decide on what is appropriate/not appropriate for each individual child. I believe the OP was correct in addressing this with RCCL. She signed her children up for the waterpark not the PARENTAL GUIDANCE-13 movie. Should be a G rated movie if it is being shown within vicinity of a child's area. Honestly, this laissez-faire attitude of letting young children being exposed to "everything" and defining it as a teaching moment makes me sick. Let kids be kids.....and enjoy their youth.

Besides, not everything has to be a teaching moment. Yes, a little explanation may be in order if the situation is unavoidable. However, this one was preventable. I agree. Let kids be kids. There is nothing wrong with NOT exposing your children to violence and the "real world" all the time. I think you can explain things in child appropriate terms.

What do you people do when news of a violent attack comes on TV, drag your small children into the living room to watch the carnage while you have a "teachable moment." Do you purposely expose your children to "real world" scenarios? Allow them to watch you butcher animals? Allow them to watch you and your SO have sex? I mean, those are real world activities. And they "have to be" exposed to the "real world." It's absurd.

Remembering back when there was no PG13...it went from PG to R...I have been shocked a few times when I let my 6 year old watch a just "PG" movie from the 80's where there was no middle ground...PG used to get away with a lot more....but I suppose its all relative when you look at some of the really old Disney movies or even Christmas shows for kids....they were a lot darker and dealt with more shock topics back then vs the tree hugging PC movies nowadays....

To be honest, I remember a time when "Parents" provided "Guidance." There is a difference between Parental Guidance and parental "sit in front of the TV as long as you don't bother me." When parents actually "guided" what their children watched. Ah, the good old days.

This whole situation doesn't surprise me especially since you weren't in the US. Go to Mexico and see their "safe" excursions and you'll be shocked. Haha. There are definitely different levels of what people think is appropriate for children. It definitely varies especially with cultures as well, Americans being by far the most sheltered.

Great point. Many other nations also have an interesting and novel idea called "using common sense." Americans are very sheltered- and a lot of it comes from our litigious culture. When you have to put a warning on a knife that says it is sharp and could cut something, well that doesn't speak well for common sense. When you have to put a warning on an oven, stove or grill that says it can reach a temperature sufficient to burn something or someone- well duh!!!

Save the screen for nighttime movies of all varieties and during the day time when pool is in use limit it to music / live concerts. Problem solved.

Although that's excellent idea, then you will have parents complain of some of the lyrics or dance moves that are rated PG-13.

'You can please some of the people some of the time but not all the people all the time" Bob Dylan

I do a lot of reading, but not a lot of posting here. I felt the need to chime in though, because I can't believe how insensitive some of the people here are!

The OP had a very valid complaint. This was shown on a big screen, in the middle of the day, right in front of the kids area. There is no reason anything higher than a PG should have been shown at that time of day, in that area.

My son is 7, and I certainly try to limit what he sees, including the evening news. I would have been raising holy heck too. In fact, I do appreciate this heads up; I will make sure to check what is playing during the day so I don't run into this problem.

Star Wars shows some moderate violence, but it isn't gory. It's like what they see on cartoons where somebody gets bashed in the head and falls down. While I don't love that kind of mild-moderate violent content, I recognize that I have boys and there is something inherent in them that makes them more physical.

How many Star Wars movies have you seen?

• The Phantom Menace - Darth Maul cut in half at the end of the movie by Obi-Wan
  • The Clone Wars - Jango Fett beheaded by Mace Windu
  • Revenge of the Sith - Anakin Skywalker has an arm and both legs cut off by Obi-Wan and then is engulfed in fire as his body slides down near the molten rock.
  • A New Hope - An entire planet is destroyed! A patron of the cantina on Tatooine has an arm cut off by Obi-Wan. Luke's aunt and uncle's severely burned corpses are seen smoldering at their farm. X-Wing pilots are shown in their cockpits dying as their ships blow up.
  • The Empire Strikes Back - Luke cuts the arm off a Wampa after it captures him and is preparing to eat him. Han Solo slices open the belly of a Tauntaun exposing its entrails so he can use the animals body heat to keep Luke warm. Luke cuts the head off an aspiration that appears like Darth Vader while training on Dagobah with Yoda. Later in the movie Darth Vader cuts of Luke's hand.
  • Return of the Jedi - A Gamorrean guard is eaten whole by the Rancor. The Rancor is later killed when Luke closes the steel gate on its head. Princess Leia physically choked Jabba the Hutt to death with her chain. Stromtroopers are killed when their speeder bikes crash into trees and explode on Endor. Luke cuts of the hand of Darth Vader.

I am curious what your definition of "gory" is? Is it only gory if you see blood? The severing of limbs and the burning of bodies sounds like a lot more than someone getting bashed in the head and then falling down.

What do you people do when news of a violent attack comes on TV, drag your small children into the living room to watch the carnage while you have a "teachable moment." Do you purposely expose your children to "real world" scenarios? Allow them to watch you butcher animals? Allow them to watch you and your SO have sex? I mean, those are real world activities. And they "have to be" exposed to the "real world." It's absurd.

What's absurd is you making that argument. There is a difference between dragging children to witness real world scenarios and using one as a teachable moment when they happen to witness one. So no, you don't drag them to the living room to watch the news. You don't allow them to watch you and SO have sex. But, if they happen to see those things, then you can use that moment as a teaching moment. Children do not "have to be" exposed to the "real world" but they also don't have to be sheltered from it either.

If I saw there was a movie playing next to the kiddie's pool called "The Magnificent Seven" I might have thought it was about the dwarfs.

I also might be a bit concerned if my child was able to view horses being blown away while splashing in a pool. Paradoxically, I wouldn't be offended if they had shown "They Shoot Horses, Don't They?" as I don't believe any horses are actually shot in the film (I should have added "spoiler alert").

Anyway, when did a kiddie pool on a cruise ship during a family vacation in the sun become the appropriate setting for teachable moments on violence in society?

It is PG-13 there isn't blood flying everywhere, I just watched the final scene. All sorts of folks and horses get shot, but there isn't any blood. See for yourself, the final battle is on YouTube. Right here NOTE there is blood at the beginning but that isn't part of the movie it is a trailer for something else. There are 4 parts, I only watched the first two, as I'm more upset they remade an outstanding movie, get some new ideas Hollywood.