Beware of taxi's at FLL

MimiDo

I want to share my bad experience on March 28 traveling from Ft. Lauderdale airport to Port Everglades for a cruise on the Coral Princess.

My husband and I went to the taxi podium outside Terminal 1 baggage claim. The scheduler told us to get in the first taxi in the line. It was a Yellow Cab (although yellow cabs at FLL aren't completely yellow). The driver told us it would be a flat fare of $20.00 -- I was expecting $15 from reading Cruise Critic -- and he didn't turn on the meter until we were past port security. I think the meter read $6 something when we got out.

My husband and I both had backpacks, which we took into the back seat with us, and several pieces of luggage. When the taxi got to the cruise terminal he didn't go in the line with the other taxi's, which admittedly had a long line, but instead drove thru the parking garage to park beside where the busses were. It was a little dark inside the unlit garage, and I was concerned about moving our luggage to the curb -- and in the confusion I left my backpack in the back seat of the cab.

We paid cash, so we didn't have a charge receipt to identify the cab and driver. We didn't memorize the driver's name or the license number.

The backpack had my iPad, camera, sandals, cruise paperwork, other personal items -- and a bottle of wine. Their were multiple ID tags both attached to and inside the backpack, all with our last name, email and phone number. I called the cab company (and got a very surly employee who was not interested in helping me) The Broward Co. Sheriff's Dept -- who work security at the port -- were absolutely wonderful, and put out an "all points search" for my backpack. They told me IF the driver was going to return it Yellow Cab would have returned it to the Princess Office at the port, or to the Sheriff's office.

While I "lost" the backpack, I consider it to be stolen because it was very well ID'd, and because someone has been using iPad, confirmed by Verizon before I suspended the account.

Here's my advice to others:

1. don't leave things behind in your taxi!

2. assemble all your belongs on the curb or driveway before you pay the driver -- take your time and double check

3. pay with a charge card (so the driver can be traced), or use your phone or camera to take a photo of the driver's ID (mounted on the dash) or license plate.

4. Think about using Princess transfers -- I know I'm wary about using cabs to the port now.

I hope others can benefit from my mistake.:(:(

Edited by MimiDo
grammatical error

Sorry you left your valuables behind. As in any city, and certainly not just cab drivers, some people believe the philosophy of "finders keepers". No matter that your name was on it.

We always take a count of all bags before paying a driver..uber, cab,shuttle.

Of course being careful with bags didn't stop DH from leaving a North Face jacket behind in FLL years ago. And no, it wasn't turned in.

I have almost given up on taxis and gone to Uber/Lyft because of poor service. I ALWAYS take a photo of the cab number and driver info (posted in the cab); if the driver asks why, I tell him in case I forget/lose something. Knowing that you have them documented helps to keep them honest.

Or tell the driver to turn on the meter because there is no flat fee -- I have threatened to get out of the cab if the driver did not comply.

Direct the driver to the terminal, not the garage.

If there is a dispute with the driver, feel free to call on one of the cops monitoring cars/traffic -- my experience is that the crooked drivers will always back down when the cop starts walking over. Dial 911 if needed.

Sorry you had a bad experience. :(

...4. Think about using Princess transfers -- I know I'm wary about using cabs to the port now.

I am sorry you had a bad experience, but I, for one (and probably many) cannot endorse your advice to take a cruise line's transfer between these two points. I was just reading in another thread that one of the lines charges $16.00 per person to transfer between these two close points. That's insane. A cab should have been no more than $15.00 on the meter for up to 4 people.

In my opinion, it is imperative to do your research and take precautions when using cabs. You should know how much they cost and not be afraid to speak up. You'll get ripped off if you don't know certain things ahead of time.

We have had several honest and polite cabbies in Fort Lauderdale. Not all of them are out to get you. :cool:

Sorry to hear about losing your bag. What a horrid way to end your cruise.

In our experience cab drivers at FL port are the grumpiest rudest people ever. We are always polite and friendly but they seem really angry and unpleasant. It always puts a sour end to a fantastic cruise to have to experience such rude behaviour.

On our last cruise we were held up for ages at the port when we embarked due to manic traffic which was gridlocked,mand the driver was getting angrier and angrier, although it certainly wasn't our fault, but it made for a very uncomfortable ride.

Maybe we should try Uber.

Our Uber experience was completely different. Wife dropped her phone in back seat while getting out of car. We had an early flight and she didn't notice it until we arrived back in Michigan . I checked my e-mail and we had a notice from Uber that we " may have " left something in the vehicle. I called the phone number and described what the item was. They mailed it back postage paid to us. Might want to give Uber a try next time. :)

I have almost given up on taxis and gone to Uber/Lyft because of poor service. I ALWAYS take a photo of the cab number and driver info (posted in the cab); if the driver asks why, I tell him in case I forget/lose something. Knowing that you have them documented helps to keep them honest.

Sorry you had a bad experience. :(

Thanks for the travel tip.

don't have account w/uber. do u need account w/Lyft? other than these 2 options does anyone out there have suggestion 4 reasonable shuttle from FLL airport 2 hotel which is not really far fr airport (17th St. & close 2 beach & also; fr FLL hilton marina hotel 2 port - (so close; if not 4 luggage we cd walk!) thx, poupette

don't have account w/uber. do u need account w/Lyft? other than these 2 options does anyone out there have suggestion 4 reasonable shuttle from FLL airport 2 hotel which is not really far fr airport (17th St. & close 2 beach & also; fr FLL hilton marina hotel 2 port - (so close; if not 4 luggage we cd walk!) thx, poupette

Take cabs. Approx. 15$ to hotel and $10 to ship.

Shuttles will be shared, per person rate and not as direct.

Anyone can sign up for an account with Uber (or Lyft). Download the app, input your information and then request your ride. Only takes maybe 2 minutes at most, and doesn't cost to create an account. The only fees you pay are for the rides you take.

So sorry for your bad experience. We just used a taxi from the Hyatt to the port and it was the easiest and friendliest. I did give in and attempt Uber but it was the worse experience, first guy cancelled and did not tell us, I found out once he started driving away from our location instead of towards. The second one showed up in a vehicle that was not an XL and could not fit all of us. He wanted to come back and charge extra (outside of Uber). I cancelled it and just went with a Taxi. Our taxi driver got us there quickly and told us exactly what we needed to do wheN WE arrived at port etc. I refused the hotel shuttle as it was $7 pp and the taxi was only 8 and change but we gave him $15 since he was great.