Dining room dress code clarifications please . . .

chenj78

Hello Cruisers,

We're taking the Breakaway in June and hoping for the cruise community here to clarify a few dress code related items for me. This will be my first NCL cruise and I have read the dress code suggestions on their website. However, through numerous cruises aboard RCI and Carnival, I have found that there is typically a measureable difference between what the cruise line states and what people actually wear in the dining rooms.

I'll be direct --- I wear a suit to work every day and want to avoid having to dress up if at all possible AND reduce the amount of clothes/shoes I have to pack. To me, there is nothing relaxing about having to dress up and worry about what I'm wearing every night. My questions:

1. Can I get away with wearing a polo shirt, jeans/trousers, loafers in the MDR and specialty restaurants?

2. Is there a formal night on a 7-night cruise? If yes, will the above attire work?

3. Can I get away without a jacket/sport coat for the entire cruise?

3. What do most men wear in the dining rooms?

Thanks in advance for your responses!

1. Yes. What you described can be worn anywhere/anytime.

2. No formal night unless you want to dress formal. See answer above.

3. Absolutely.

4. Everything from shorts/t-shirts to suit and tie. Some restaurants require long pants but your description in question #1 would be fine in those restaurants.

Yes, what you listed is fine. There is a dress up or not night, 100% optional, none of the dress codes change. No need for a jacket/sport coat.

My bf wore shorts/sandals/t shirts to the MDR every night. The casual one and most of the specialties are fine w just about any dress. There's a dressier MDR and Le bistro that have dress code requirements but I don't think they are anything over the top.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What's the deal with the Norwegian's Night Out? I only found one little blurb on it here:

https://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/prepare-for-your-cruise/what-to-pack

Is this a formal night kind of thing?

Norwegian's Night Out is a theme party (like the White Hot Party, Glow Party, etc) that is sponsored by Ultimat Vodka. The evening's theme is "a night out on the town".

The dress code on this night is exactly the same as it is on each and every other night: resort casual or better.

They usually (but not always) hold this party on the first sea day...which is when they used to have their Dress Up or Not night. The Dress Up or Not was discontinued and replaced by the theme party since...just like this party...there really was no dress code and the dress code requirements were exactly the same on every single night of the cruise. (IOW, Dress Up or Not was exactly the same as the non-Dress Up or Not nights).

Every day is the same...wear what you want (resort casual or better). Casual every day, elegant formal every day, or whatever combination floats your boat.

You can actually dress down even more than what you are planning. Shorts are permitted, accepted, welcomed, not noticed, not cared about etc., in ALL the main dining rooms, all nights. (Used to be Manhattan Room main dining room required pants but that appears to have changed.) The only places long pants (for men...women can always wear capri pants) are required is Ocean Blue and Le Bistro after 5 pm. There is one optional dress up night. But, the dress code is still the same as always. Not only can you "get away" without a jacket/sport coat for the entire cruise, if you don't eat in Le Bistro or Ocean Blue, you can "get away" without long pants for the entire cruise.

Regarding shoes; loafers, sneakers, crocs...what ever.

Wear whatever you want everywhere. You will see it all.

There were always people that got really dressy and those who were really casual. We stuck somewhere in the middle and were in the majority. Nice jeans or khakis and polos for the guys, sundresses or pants and a cute top for the girls. We originally planned to get dressed up one night but never did.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Forums mobile app

This is great to know as I was thinking I would need to bring khaki pants for stepsons (which means buying them for this trip as their Mom won't send any clothes). We have plenty of khaki shorts so I'll plan that along with some dressier shirts).

And it sounds like they could wear sneakers too.

Thanks,

Michelle

my fiance wears a polo and shorts every night except if we go to cagneys or lebistro, then he wears dockers and a polo. he brings 2 pairs of sneakers, that's it. no dress shoes, no jacket, etc.

formal night is really just if you want fancy pics with the captain or yourselves. we are not into this at all.

my fiance wears a polo and shorts every night except if we go to cagneys or lebistro, then he wears dockers and a polo. he brings 2 pairs of sneakers, that's it. no dress shoes, no jacket, etc.

formal night is really just if you want fancy pics with the captain or yourselves. we are not into this at all.

There is no formal night on any NCL ship.

There is no formal night on any NCL ship.

there is that one night where they invite you to dress up, but its not required for entrance anywhere. what is it, the Norwegian Night Out or something? we always see people doing family photos for their christmas cards and gag. lol

The problem is that everyone wants to play the blame game and point fingers. It used to be that if a kid was acting like a brat, the kid was a brat. Now if a kid is acting like a brat, the parents are blamed instead of the bratty kid. Then these kids grow up not knowing better because it's mom and dad's fault. No one learns to be responsible for their own actions anymore because the finger is always pointed elsewhere.

Hello Cruisers,

We're taking the Breakaway in June and hoping for the cruise community here to clarify a few dress code related items for me. This will be my first NCL cruise and I have read the dress code suggestions on their website. However, through numerous cruises aboard RCI and Carnival, I have found that there is typically a measureable difference between what the cruise line states and what people actually wear in the dining rooms.

I'll be direct --- I wear a suit to work every day and want to avoid having to dress up if at all possible AND reduce the amount of clothes/shoes I have to pack. To me, there is nothing relaxing about having to dress up and worry about what I'm wearing every night. My questions:

1. Can I get away with wearing a polo shirt, jeans/trousers, loafers in the MDR and specialty restaurants?

2. Is there a formal night on a 7-night cruise? If yes, will the above attire work?

3. Can I get away without a jacket/sport coat for the entire cruise?

3. What do most men wear in the dining rooms?

Thanks in advance for your responses!

feel free to relax and enjoy your cruise with very little luggage. I was amazed at how much luggage some people had on our Breakaway cruise a few weeks ago. The only time you need to worry is Le Bistro and the Seafood restaurant and even then, a collared shirt and closed toed shoes, plus casual slacks (no Jeans) is all you need. The rest of the dining rooms you can even wear shorts. The one time people are inclined to dress a bit nicer is if, you intend on having a formal picture taken. :cool:

Most of the nights hubby wore shorts or decent casual pants to dinner and a nice shirt, polo type mostly. He did have a long sleeved dress shirt for Le Bistro.

The problem is that everyone wants to play the blame game and point fingers. It used to be that if a kid was acting like a brat, the kid was a brat. Now if a kid is acting like a brat, the parents are blamed instead of the bratty kid. Then these kids grow up not knowing better because it's mom and dad's fault. No one learns to be responsible for their own actions anymore because the finger is always pointed elsewhere.

Oops, wrong thread. LOL!

Its freestyle, so you can basically wear anything.. but your bikini in the MDR ;)

On a 7 day cruise DH and I usually dress up at least 3 nights.. then he wears polos and a nice pant/chino for the other nights.. we're on vacation but.. we're also on a date.