Absolutely appalling behavior from a Diamond member

I sell chocolate and sugar confectionery in the UK but i would never dream of bringing samples with me,i just give extra cash.

43 cruises and counting.

I have heard that candy in the UK is much superior to candy in the US, so you can bring some for me, if we ever run into each other on a cruise.

Her husband was standing off to the side trying to act like he didn't know her. It was ridiculous.

It amazes me when spouses just stand by, letting this behavior happen, and do not say or do anything about it. I would never, ever, act like this, but if I even started to act or speak in a disrespectful way, my husband would NOT let it continue even in that moment. Not because he is controlling, but he understands that everyone, especially service employees, deserves basic respect and I have no right to treat anyone with less than that.

Side note, thanks to the OP for standing up for the employee. As someone who worked in the retail/service industry for almost 10 years (not any longer, though), and has received plenty of vents/tirades/disrespect/etc., it means a lot when someone has your back.

I will be on the lookout for this kind of behavior on my upcoming cruise, and will try to stick up for the employees if the situation arises!

It amazes me when spouses just stand by, letting this behavior happen, and do not say or do anything about it. I would never, ever, act like this, but if I even started to act or speak in a disrespectful way, my husband would NOT let it continue even in that moment. Not because he is controlling, but he understands that everyone, especially service employees, deserves basic respect and I have no right to treat anyone with less than that.

Side note, thanks to the OP for standing up for the employee. As someone who worked in the retail/service industry for almost 10 years (not any longer, though), and has received plenty of vents/tirades/disrespect/etc., it means a lot when someone has your back.

I will be on the lookout for this kind of behavior on my upcoming cruise, and will try to stick up for the employees if the situation arises!

I am sure he has incurred her wrath and if he did, he would have had a miserable cruise. :(

If I saw someone with a name tag I would figure they were an employee. Wonder if people with those name tags ever get mistaken for staff?

The pinnacle pin is significantly different from the pins employees wear. However a few years ago, although uncommon, occasionally ships gave a few of their frequent cruisers a pin identically to what was worn by the ship staff. It did indeed cause some problems and eventually Miami sent out a memo stating that if you had one you were no longer permitted to wear it.

I have heard that candy in the UK is much superior to candy in the US, so you can bring some for me, if we ever run into each other on a cruise.

It would probably have melted the chocolate in the Uk is mixed for longer but unlike chocolate made for Spain etc it melts quickly in heat but if i had any you would be welcome.

43 cruises and counting.

The variety and quality of our sugar confectionery is second to none.

43 cruises and counting.

The pinnacle pin is significantly different from the pins employees wear. However a few years ago, although uncommon, occasionally ships gave a few of their frequent cruisers a pin identically to what was worn by the ship staff. It did indeed cause some problems and eventually Miami sent out a memo stating that if you had one you were no longer permitted to wear it.

And I even know who you are talking about... :)

Teri

Not fair to Carnival.

Plently of ill-mannered entitled jerks everywhere.

As for Pinnacle pin wearers, I read that Royal has asked them to wear them around the ship.

We have met some very nice people including Pinnacle folks who are very down to earth. There are always some jerks on every cruise and every cruise line who think they are important.

Oddly, most of that could have been resolved by the Diamond concierge, if they were truly diamond...

Not defending. A stupid jerk, not just a jerk!

I agree a jerk is a jerk and everyone should be treated with respect. A lot of this could be avoided - I have been on other cruise lines, Royal has and always will be my favorite but some of the ships on the other lines have a special line for those that have reached a certain level.

I agree a jerk is a jerk and everyone should be treated with respect. A lot of this could be avoided - I have been on other cruise lines, Royal has and always will be my favorite but some of the ships on the other lines have a special line for those that have reached a certain level.

You can shout and bully people to get your own way but the best way is to be polite but firm and respectful to achieve your goals most of the time and then you dont show yourself up in front of other guests.

43 cruises and counting.

People who work in the customer service industry know there are two kinds of customers:

1. Customers you will stretch your neck out for and really work hard to make happy and resolve their issue.
  2. Customers to whom you will give the contractually obligated level of support and not one iota more.

Screaming, throwing tantrums and pulling the "Do you know who I am?" card will automatically put you in the second group.

Unfortunately this type of behaviour is becoming ever more common to those of us in the service sector.

Luckily I only am on the receiving end of this by telephone, but I've lost count of the number of times I've been told how 'important' the traveller is for whom I'm managing a booking.

I could give you a list, but there's not enough room on here!:)

People like me in the service sector just have to grin and bear it, although that does not mean I cannot terminate a call if someone is rude, shouting, swearing, or being insulting, I can and believe me I do. I have reported callers to their employer too.

As an earlier poster said, if she was a particular loyalty level, her issues could have been resolved by the equivalent concierge. That's how I have resolved any issues after standing in a similar line and witnessed a very similar situation with a high level loyalty member.

People who work in the customer service industry know there are two kinds of customers:

1. Customers you will stretch your neck out for and really work hard to make happy and resolve their issue.
  2. Customers to whom you will give the contractually obligated level of support and not one iota more.

Screaming, throwing tantrums and pulling the "Do you know who I am?" card will automatically put you in the second group.

(y) (y)

That was the just of my point.

I don't know why people think they can abuse people like that but some people are too full of their own importance.

If they were diamond the consierge would have sorted the problem for them.

GS have a difficult job why upset them they don't deserve that.

43 cruises and counting.

I learned as a youngster that there is never, ever an excuse for badgering or mistreating a person who is providing a service to you. If that person is not providing the level of service that you think they should, you thank them very kindly for their effort and then quietly ask if a supervisor is available to perhaps help further.

Those who badger others because of a sense of entitlement only demonstrate their own low class. You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig.

I learned as a youngster that there is never, ever an excuse for badgering or mistreating a person who is providing a service to you. If that person is not providing the level of service that you think they should, you thank them very kindly for their effort and then quietly ask if a supervisor is available to perhaps help further.

Those who badger others because of a sense of entitlement only demonstrate their own low class. You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig.

In a lot of cases the agent or GS have limited powers to do something so if you nicely ask to speak to a manager or supervisor then that manager or supervisor have more power to deal with an issue.

43 cruises and counting.

Rudeness, irrespective of C&A status, towards the crew and staff is utterly intolerable.

Last time.we were on the Indy, we were sat at the pool bar enjoying a chat with a great Slovenian barman..... a kid, about 14, with the soda card, would come.up to the bar and quite literally insult and abuse the barman, not just joshing banter but out and out insults, for no reason.

He was, sad to say, a Brit..... barman said his parents were always courteous and polite and just had to grit his teeth and try to ignore the insults.

The little brat would swagger away smirking.......such a shame he later tripped over my holdall and face planted the deck...