Weather in Norway

Stella1250

I am looking for anyone who has sailed the Norway fjords the last week of June, first week of July. I am wondering what to pack for 6/25 Konigsdam sailing. How cold does it get, and conversely, how hot? Thank you in advance for any advice. Anita.

You can have cold, icy rain, and warm to hot sunshine---and a whole lot in between. You need to be ready for anything and everything in Norway. Gloves and a jacket, with a sweatshirt underneath, and slacks with a knit top are both useful. Layering is key.

Norway is probably my favorite destination that's easy to get to; I've been there more times than I can count, in all months from May through September. I'm going again this June, as it's been too long since I've visited.

Hope you have as good a time there as I have.

I am watching this topic carefully as well, because we are on the cruise before you Stella1250, on 11 June!

Thank you for all the useful information RuthC :)

I am planning on taking a hat, gloves and a scarf for the Northern Cape at least. When we did scenic cruising in Greenland in August we needed them.

I am looking for anyone who has sailed the Norway fjords the last week of June, first week of July. I am wondering what to pack for 6/25 Konigsdam sailing. How cold does it get, and conversely, how hot? Thank you in advance for any advice. Anita.

There are many many weather sites on the internet. Have you checked any of them?

DON

We were in Norway last June and it changes in the middle of the day from sunny and clear to rainy and cold and back again even in a few hours. We took on the HAL Pulpit Rock hike out of Stavanger and had it all just during that one hike. Our guide kept saying this is typical Norway weather.

Being pretty much out of shape, I ran out of time on the hike and had to turn around before the Pulpit Rock summit, but for those who got to the top it was all fogged in so they couldn't even see the legendary views from this famous vista point, nor the drop-off of the sheer cliffs below them. Yet most photos of this iconic Norwegian hiking destination show hikers lounging in the sun, with vistas that reach to forever.

So off we went from rain parkas tied around our waist because it was warm to start, to rain parkas zipped up to the top of the neck to keep away the sleety rain away while slipping on wet rocks, and then back in the sun at the end of the day.

Welcome to Norway. The Norwegians took this all in stride and even told us the loved their winters best of all because they enjoyed snow sports so much.

I am watching this topic carefully as well, because we are on the cruise before you Stella1250, on 11 June!

Thank you for all the useful information RuthC :)

I am planning on taking a hat, gloves and a scarf for the Northern Cape at least. When we did scenic cruising in Greenland in August we needed them.

Since you are going on the same cruise as we are, have you any idea if the ship will be cruising past the amazingly beautiful Lofoten Islands? We realise the itinerary shows it is not stopping there but the route map shows it could be sailing past those islands.

Since you are going on the same cruise as we are, have you any idea if the ship will be cruising past the amazingly beautiful Lofoten Islands? We realise the itinerary shows it is not stopping there but the route map shows it could be sailing past those islands.

I'm sorry I don't know.

RuthC may know, as an experienced HAL sailor in that area.

You can have cold, icy rain, and warm to hot sunshine---and a whole lot in between. You need to be ready for anything and everything in Norway. Gloves and a jacket, with a sweatshirt underneath, and slacks with a knit top are both useful. Layering is key.

Norway is probably my favorite destination that's easy to get to; I've been there more times than I can count, in all months from May through September. I'm going again this June, as it's been too long since I've visited.

Hope you have as good a time there as I have.

Hi RuthC, post member Debsjc referred us to you as you seem to be a very knowledgeable person regarding HAL cruises, especially to Norway.

We are going on a Norwegian fjord 14-night cruise on the Koningsdam on June 11. It goes from Amsterdam, all the way north to Tromso and then to North Cape, and then returning back to Amsterdam. We were wondering if you know whether the ship might pass through the Lofoten Islands, close enough for us to take a view. We have seen pictures of these islands and how breathtakingly beautiful they are, so it would be great to be able to see them in reality.

It would be great if you could help, we would be grateful , but if you do not know, that's okay. Just thought we'd ask.

We were wondering if you know whether the ship might pass through the Lofoten Islands, close enough for us to take a view.

The only time I've been past the Lofoten Islands was the cruise where the ship went up to Svalbard, then further north to the Polar Ice Cap.

Yes, they were special to see; we had scenic cruising with commentary. But I have never gotten there on any of my fjord cruises.

Sorry. :(

The only time I've been past the Lofoten Islands was the cruise where the ship went up to Svalbard, then further north to the Polar Ice Cap.

Yes, they were special to see; we had scenic cruising with commentary. But I have never gotten there on any of my fjord cruises.

Sorry. :(

Thanks for your response RuthC.

Gosh, you have been to the Polar Ice Cap? My word, you are a really great traveller, lucky you !

• 6 months later...

We are on the June 3 sailing and we are preparing for anything!

And I agree with OP Stella1250, of course we can check a weather website, but I love hearing from fellow travelers on what gear they needed or recommend for the weather.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are on the June 3 sailing and we are preparing for anything!

And I agree with OP Stella1250, of course we can check a weather website, but I love hearing from fellow travelers on what gear they needed or recommend for the weather.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It's great to hear from fellow travellers. Keep in mind though that how weather affects others is a personal thing. For instance, I am not terribly bothered by cold whereas I know others who cannot tolerate it at all. So when I read that it is cool, I have no idea what that means. Cool can be 15C for some, for others it is 20C.

Of course I looked at all the weather sites. I would really like to have a firsthand report from somebody who has actually been there, or lives there. Usually I get much better info.

I know what you mean, Stella1250. The weather websites give general info, but they usually don't tell the whole tale.

It is always best to get advice from someone who has visited at the time you are going. Weather has no guarantees anywhere, but other travelers can give you advice on what to pack and wear, or what worked for them on their trip. A weather website can't do that!!!

We were on a 7 day Koningsdam cruise in Norway the first week of July 2017. The weather was mostly in the high 50s to 70 degrees and we had no rain worth mentioning and clear skies. When I remarked about this to a cruise officer he said the previous year it was overcast and raining the entire summer. I suggest planning or rain and cool weather. In addition many of the excursions go to 3000+ ft of altitude where it is windy and cool.

We were on the same cruise as Stella1250, Koningsdam - Norway 25-6-17.

Lovely summer weather in Flam and Stavanger. Kristiansand cloudy.

But on friday - Oslo 29C degrees!!! 🌞😎

To warm to sit in the sun on our balcony, but we loved it!

We are going back to Norway on Koningsdam next year.

It's great to hear from fellow travellers. Keep in mind though that how weather affects others is a personal thing. For instance, I am not terribly bothered by cold whereas I know others who cannot tolerate it at all. So when I read that it is cool, I have no idea what that means. Cool can be 15C for some, for others it is 20C.

I can relate. When you come from the tropics, everything is cool. Just wear layers.... is the best advice. Make sure your outer jacket is waterproof! Start with a base layer and add some wool or fleece.