Should we cancel? Getting worried with so many "X service has gone downhill" posts...

Imonaboat2017

I don't consider myself a cheerleader but I do consider myself an experienced cruiser. I don't mind people voicing their criticisms BUT if you're going to criticize at least make your criticisms accurate. I.E. thousands of people lining up outside the theater, 30 minutes before show or you don't get a seat, no where to lay out ( you don't need to be by the pool BTW, plenty of other places) etc.etc. Those are not my experiences that that poster describes.

I agree. I too do not consider myself a cheerleader and do not like that so many are labeled as such. Oh dear, forgive me if I actually have nice things to say about my X cruises! :p I too am an experienced cruiser, alternating between X, NCL and RCI. They all offer a different product, with pros and cons. Those on the critical, negative side of the spectrum are quick to exaggerate, as you have noted above. The examples you mentioned are no where near our experiences either.

All of this banter continues to crack me up, because the naysayers still hang around the Celebrity forum, and continue to take Celebrity cruises, (or wish they were ;) )

To OP:

Celebrity's food and service has gone way downhill IMO in the last couple of years, but as you weren't cruising a couple of years ago, you won't notice the changes.

IMO, It's about realistic expectations.

You will find the cruising is way different than the ads show... You and you're partner won't be dressed to the nines, causally strolling to the theater with a few similarly dressed folks. You will be pushing your way through a giant yard sale with between 100's and thousands of other folks some dressed up, some not. You'll be going to want to get there about 30 minutes before the show to get good seats. Shows aren't going to be Broadway good, but they try real hard.

You won't see just a few folks around the pool on sea days casually enjoying themselves. You will need to get up at 8 AM to even get seats around the pool on Sea days. Take other peoples stuff off of their 'hogged' seats... expect a really angry encounter when their owners come back hours later.

If you do Select Dining, make sure you make reservations online for at least the first couple of nights or you'll be waiting in a long line in the MDR between 6-8 PM. We book all the nights in advance and have only had to wait in long lines a couple of times when they didn't have a reservations and a non-reservations line.

Pick up a drink or a wine at the bar before you go in so the Wine Steward doesn't have to bother with you right away. They are now way overworked and having to actually run to get to all the tables they are assigned.

Expect to be within a foot of the next table, especially if you want a table for two.

Expect that some of the food will be great, some good, and some not even worth eating. Note that ordering the same thing on different nights can result in very different meals.

Expect the MDR to be better than 'Olive Garden at sea'. Think large banquet hall and you should be happy.

Tip: Cafe Al Bacio has better deserts than most in the MDR and you can get a good after dinner Cappuccino with good service. You will need your classic booze package so you don't have to pay extra.

As you aren't Elite, you won't get a lot of the perks others type about. If you don't go Aqua Class, you won't get into some places like Blu. If you don't go with a suite, you won't get into places like Luminae. Basically, there are several levels of the same cruise and you have to choose beforehand which level you can afford or are willing to pay for.

If you really enjoy a good meal, then you'll want to budget extra money to go to specialty restaurants. Think that the upcharge for the specialty restaurants is all you're going to pay? Nope, you're going to want some wine which isn't included and there are even upcharges for specific meals like $18 extra for a USDA Prime Dry Aged Porterhouse and of course the mandatory 18% service charge over and above the mandatory gratuities you pay for daily.

Hopefully everything will go well with your cruise, because the 'Service' desk tries hard and says all the right things, but they are pretty much useless.

Don't get bothered by the drink servers who don't get to you very often. Just get up and go to the bar and order yourself. It's quicker and you'll likely need some exercise anyway.

Assume that the "What's in the next port" talks are really sales opportunities and that the companies they highlight have paid Celebrity for being mentioned.

Assume that the shore excursions from Celebrity will be more expensive than buying the same thing at the port, because Celebrity takes it's cut for selling them. Also assume that their will be a lot of folks on each excursion, which may or may not be true of the one's you buy on your own.

Don't assume, like the cruise cheerleaders, that all the folks who don't post are happy campers. Some are. Some aren't.

Lastly... With realistic expectations, you should still be able to have a great time.

Kind of sounds like you're either ready for another cruiseline, or perhaps a land based vacation. As to the upcharge for Prime dry aged Porterhouse, it's not offered all the time. Please try to be a little more "truthful" on the 18% service charge as you call it. If it's for a drink, it is there because not everyone drinks. The bar staff do NOT share in the daily gratuity. The price you pay for dining in the specialty rest. includes the gratuity. There is a line for "extra" gratuity, but only if you feel the service warrants it. We always tip extra..2 reasons: 1)we're in the business. 2)The service has always been outstanding. Your daily gratuity covers everything else on board..Your waiter/asst.waiter/ the staff preparing your food/your cabin attendant & so on.

To OP:

Celebrity's food and service has gone way downhill IMO in the last couple of years, but as you weren't cruising a couple of years ago, you won't notice the changes.

IMO, It's about realistic expectations.

You will find the cruising is way different than the ads show... You and you're partner won't be dressed to the nines, causally strolling to the theater with a few similarly dressed folks. You will be pushing your way through a giant yard sale with between 100's and thousands of other folks some dressed up, some not. You'll be going to want to get there about 30 minutes before the show to get good seats. Shows aren't going to be Broadway good, but they try real hard.

You won't see just a few folks around the pool on sea days casually enjoying themselves. You will need to get up at 8 AM to even get seats around the pool on Sea days. Take other peoples stuff off of their 'hogged' seats... expect a really angry encounter when their owners come back hours later.

If you do Select Dining, make sure you make reservations online for at least the first couple of nights or you'll be waiting in a long line in the MDR between 6-8 PM. We book all the nights in advance and have only had to wait in long lines a couple of times when they didn't have a reservations and a non-reservations line.

Pick up a drink or a wine at the bar before you go in so the Wine Steward doesn't have to bother with you right away. They are now way overworked and having to actually run to get to all the tables they are assigned.

Expect to be within a foot of the next table, especially if you want a table for two.

Expect that some of the food will be great, some good, and some not even worth eating. Note that ordering the same thing on different nights can result in very different meals.

Expect the MDR to be better than 'Olive Garden at sea'. Think large banquet hall and you should be happy.

Tip: Cafe Al Bacio has better deserts than most in the MDR and you can get a good after dinner Cappuccino with good service. You will need your classic booze package so you don't have to pay extra.

As you aren't Elite, you won't get a lot of the perks others type about. If you don't go Aqua Class, you won't get into some places like Blu. If you don't go with a suite, you won't get into places like Luminae. Basically, there are several levels of the same cruise and you have to choose beforehand which level you can afford or are willing to pay for.

If you really enjoy a good meal, then you'll want to budget extra money to go to specialty restaurants. Think that the upcharge for the specialty restaurants is all you're going to pay? Nope, you're going to want some wine which isn't included and there are even upcharges for specific meals like $18 extra for a USDA Prime Dry Aged Porterhouse and of course the mandatory 18% service charge over and above the mandatory gratuities you pay for daily.

Hopefully everything will go well with your cruise, because the 'Service' desk tries hard and says all the right things, but they are pretty much useless.

Don't get bothered by the drink servers who don't get to you very often. Just get up and go to the bar and order yourself. It's quicker and you'll likely need some exercise anyway.

Assume that the "What's in the next port" talks are really sales opportunities and that the companies they highlight have paid Celebrity for being mentioned.

Assume that the shore excursions from Celebrity will be more expensive than buying the same thing at the port, because Celebrity takes it's cut for selling them. Also assume that their will be a lot of folks on each excursion, which may or may not be true of the one's you buy on your own.

Don't assume, like the cruise cheerleaders, that all the folks who don't post are happy campers. Some are. Some aren't.

Lastly... With realistic expectations, you should still be able to have a great time.

Just a ray of sunshine you are!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've been asked by a couple of OPs why my RCCL cruise years ago was such a disappointment. In a nutshell, it was poorly trained staff, ambivalent or unconcerned staff, and staff that were downright incompetent. These issues started showing themselves pretty much from our first phone call to book (it was a last-minute cruise), through the cruise itself, through the RCCL shore excursions, and afterward when I contacted RCCL to discuss my "experience". In addition, the ship itself was clearly showing its age and the interior was very worn, under repair throughout our 4-day cruise, and overall just very poorly maintained.

I could provide a looooooong list of examples, but it would take up more space than anyone would want to read! ;p

Hence, this is why it's taken seven years to entertain the idea of cruising again. I've heard that Celebrity really ups the service compared to RCCL, but with so many mentions of staff cut-backs... how?

I'm going to remain hopeful...

I've been on 4 cruises, each one on a different ship-Celebrity Constellation, Caribbean Princess, Royal Princess, Regal Princess. Every one of those ships got bad reviews here, either that the ship looked old, or didn't like the lack of center stairs or no wraparound promenade deck or small balconies. I've loved every single ship and could find almost nothing to complain about. We are booked on the Silhouette Barcelona to Rome Sept 14, and can't wait. Booked on Star Princess for Alaska May 2018, looking forward to that too. I don't let the bad reviews scare me away, because if I did, I'd never go anywhere. No ship is perfect, there may be something that doesn't go like you'd like it too (poorly timed service at afternoon tea on Princess stands out, no biggie), but overall, you will have a fantastic time.

I've been on 4 cruises, each one on a different ship-Celebrity Constellation, Caribbean Princess, Royal Princess, Regal Princess. I've loved every single ship. We are booked on the Silhouette Barcelona to Rome Sept 14, and can't wait..

Well, if you liked Caribbean Princess, then you should be ecstatic about Silhouette. :D

I've been asked by a couple of OPs why my RCCL cruise years ago was such a disappointment. In a nutshell, it was poorly trained staff, ambivalent or unconcerned staff, and staff that were downright incompetent. These issues started showing themselves pretty much from our first phone call to book (it was a last-minute cruise), through the cruise itself, through the RCCL shore excursions, and afterward when I contacted RCCL to discuss my "experience". In addition, the ship itself was clearly showing its age and the interior was very worn, under repair throughout our 4-day cruise, and overall just very poorly maintained.

I could provide a looooooong list of examples, but it would take up more space than anyone would want to read! ;p

Hence, this is why it's taken seven years to entertain the idea of cruising again. I've heard that Celebrity really ups the service compared to RCCL, but with so many mentions of staff cut-backs... how?

I'm going to remain hopeful...

Three years ago we took a RCCL because we liked the itinerary. We had sailed RCCL many years ago, but it has changed drastically. (At least that was our experience on that particular cruise and ship) It made us remember everything we enjoy about X. I think what some on here are saying is that the cruise experience of today is different than what it was 10-20 years ago. That may be true, but we enjoy a cruise vacation. You don't have the choice of picking a cruise from then or a cruise now. In my opinion, X still offers a product that we enjoy and are anxious to repeat.

I don't consider myself a cheerleader but I do consider myself an experienced cruiser. I don't mind people voicing their criticisms BUT if you're going to criticize at least make your criticisms accurate. I.E. thousands of people lining up outside the theater, 30 minutes before show or you don't get a seat, no where to lay out ( you don't need to be by the pool BTW, plenty of other places) etc.etc. Those are not my experiences that that poster describes.

I'm assuming you're talking about what I typed.

FTR:

I didn't say there would be thousands of people lining up outside the theater or that you won't get a seat if you don't show up 30 minutes before the show. The truth is that there are a lot of people all trying to get a seat at the same time. Your progress is slowed down by the almost nightly sidewalk sale. If you show up 10 minutes before the curtain, you very likely won't get a good seat unless someone is holding one for you.

I also didn't say there would be no where to lay out in the sun. I said that the chairs by the pool, where I and obviously a lot of others want to be, are mostly taken by 8 AM. You can't beat the chair hogs unless you get there early.

Forewarned is forearmed.

Kind of sounds like you're either ready for another cruiseline, or perhaps a land based vacation. As to the upcharge for Prime dry aged Porterhouse, it's not offered all the time. Please try to be a little more "truthful" on the 18% service charge as you call it. If it's for a drink, it is there because not everyone drinks. The bar staff do NOT share in the daily gratuity. The price you pay for dining in the specialty rest. includes the gratuity. There is a line for "extra" gratuity, but only if you feel the service warrants it. We always tip extra..2 reasons: 1)we're in the business. 2)The service has always been outstanding. Your daily gratuity covers everything else on board..Your waiter/asst.waiter/ the staff preparing your food/your cabin attendant & so on.

I checked on Celebrity's site today and it looks like I made a mistake about 18% being added on to the specialty restaurants cost. You're right, the 18% is added to the drinks portion only. (We must have drank more than I remembered in specialty restaurants.)

I still think newbies should know that the $45 USD per person charge over top of the money they've already paid for sit down service in the MDR likely not the end of the extra charges. You can order wine on your package if you have one, but a bottle's going to cost extra and there are additional charges for some of the menu items then you have an additional tips space on top of all that.

Let me begin this post by saying I have far fewer cruises total (not just on ~X~), than many of the posters on this thread. I do not profess to be an expert on any cruise line or on the service provided to passengers on those lines. I do have 40+ years of knowledge of the changes in the cruising industry. I have a family member who, for 90% of his career, was an executive (now retired) with one cruise line. I grew up listening to that individual's knowledge and my parents' experiences, and their discussions about cruising.

One of the things I learned was that cruising is "different strokes for different folks". What one passenger loves will be an absolute deal breaker/cruise ruined issue for another. You need to evaluate a cruise line on what is important to you. Some people love the food on a cruise line, others hate it. Some people like hourly announcements about activities, others hate it. Some people like a ship with 5000 passengers, that scares the crap out of others. Some passengers want mandatory formal nights, others cheer the change to smart casual.

You have older cruisers (my parents) who go back to the days when a child on a cruise ship was accompanied by a nanny and not seen or heard. You have cruisers who love silent discos, glass shows, and specialty restaurants. You have people who ask why there isn't more live music, enrichment lectures, and where is the midnight buffet.

Just because there are a lot of negative posts does not indicate that there are issues with Celebrity. It boils down to what a passenger's expectations are; what they hope/want to experience on their cruise.

Focus on the things that are important to you. If you see a lot of negative posts about issues that matter to you (food being the exception as it really is a very subjective topic), then be concerned about Celebrity. If not, enjoy your cruise.

I checked on Celebrity's site today and it looks like I made a mistake about 18% being added on to the specialty restaurants cost. You're right, the 18% is added to the drinks portion only. (We must have drank more than I remembered in specialty restaurants.)

We were surprised when they started the "additional cost add-ons" in the Tuscan! So you are paying extra on top of extra on top of your cruise fare...which already includes food. We are still waiting for "Lisa" to start charging extra for using the elevators ("insert your cruise card and it will be added to your onboard account).

We love Celebrity, we cruise RCCL, Carnival and Princess service with Celebrity is by far is better than any of the ladders. When it comes to entertainment celebrity is much more quitter by the pool for example or on sea days. Usually more people than many sleep after the show, but this cruise line is known for more relaxing. While we don't always pick celebrity as first choice when we look for lots of activities celebrity still hold first place as far as food, elite program and service, when it come to the theater we always go early no matter the cruise line. If you want to sit in a "favorite spot" like we do you need to go early if it's celebrity or even movie. Go to your cruise you will LOVE it

We were surprised when they started the "additional cost add-ons" in the Tuscan! So you are paying extra on top of extra on top of your cruise fare...which already includes food. We are still waiting for "Lisa" to start charging extra for using the elevators ("insert your cruise card and it will be added to your onboard account).

LOL.

I can see it now. You get X number of 'basic' elevator trips with you're cruise depending on which level of cabin you choose. Then they sell you several different levels of elevator packages from standard to classic to premium. During 'Prime Elevator' time, you'd get charged more and you could go over even your premium package if you used the elevators too often and of course there would be an additional charge for that.

I'm sure they'd sell it as being good for you as it encourages you to take the stairs. :D

LOL.

I can see it now. You get X number of 'basic' elevator trips with you're cruise depending on which level of cabin you choose. Then they sell you several different levels of elevator packages from standard to classic to premium. During 'Prime Elevator' time, you'd get charged more and you could go over even your premium package if you used the elevators too often and of course there would be an additional charge for that.

I'm sure they'd sell it as being good for you as it encourages you to take the stairs. :D

Oh Great!!! Now you've given Queen Lisa another idea for generating revenue. :eek:

I'm assuming you're talking about what I typed.

FTR:

I didn't say there would be thousands of people lining up outside the theater or that you won't get a seat if you don't show up 30 minutes before the show. The truth is that there are a lot of people all trying to get a seat at the same time. Your progress is slowed down by the almost nightly sidewalk sale. If you show up 10 minutes before the curtain, you very likely won't get a good seat unless someone is holding one for you.

I also didn't say there would be no where to lay out in the sun. I said that the chairs by the pool, where I and obviously a lot of others want to be, are mostly taken by 8 AM. You can't beat the chair hogs unless you get there early.

Forewarned is forearmed.

I suggest that you re-read your original post. You didn't suggest thousands, you typed it!

To the OP, You should remember that you are posting to a Celebrity forum so you can expect to get favorable views on most topics.We started cruising back in 1991 and sail mostly on Celebrity,yes quality has gone down but a lot of reviewer's have only strarted cruising in the last ten years so they have no idea how it used to be. My only real complaint is in the MDR service, too many tables for the waiters and bus boy's so service is slow. Mostly cruising is an enjoyable vacation so go and enjoy yourself.

J.

I've always had wonderful service on all my Celebrity cruises. If someone is worried about their decision to do business with any company, my suggest is to go with your gut and if you feel uneasy, then don't do business with that company, because no matter how many say they have had great experiences, it doesn't mean that what you feel is a great cruise aligns with theirs.

I suggest that you re-read your original post. You didn't suggest thousands, you typed it!

What I typed was: "You and you're partner won't be dressed to the nines, causally strolling to the theater with a few similarly dressed folks. You will be pushing your way through a giant yard sale with between 100's and thousands of other folks some dressed up, some not." That's not the same as saying "thousands of people lining up outside the theater, 30 minutes before show or you don't get a seat".

FTR: Thousands might be overstating it for effect, but there are 2886 cruisers and another 1500 staff. Not all the people you are going to see are going to the theater. Some are there for the yard sale. Some are simply going from point A to point B. Some are staff.

I've been on a few different lines, but we keep coming back to Celebrity. Just sailed the Silhouette (2nd time) on 3/19/17 and did not notice any decline in food quality or service. We are in our 40's and feel Celebrity's style fits us. Sure, there are a number of older cruisers and family with children so I think Celebrity appeals to a fairly wide demographic. If you are younger and want more of a "booze cruise" something like Carnival might be a better fit, or if you are used to high-end experiences maybe a luxury line is a better fit (cant speak to that from experience though). My only complaint on our cruise was how our muster drill station was managed, otherwise, the cruise was excellent! We ate in Tuscan, Lawn Club (twice, my favorite) and Sushi on 5 and with the premium drink pkg we did not have any additional charges on our account.

Don't cancel. While there have been changes, Celebrity still does a very good cruise. I am elite plus and have taken many cruises. Some cruises are better than others. However, I have never had a bad time on a cruise. Just relax and prepare for a good time. The Celebrity staff is friendly and attentive. They really try hard to please the guests. You may find that you enjoy the cruise so much that you book another cruise while sailing. Future cruise bookings are often very busy. Have a good time.