Differences b/t Caribbean cruises and European cruises?

dinkydee718

Never cruised in Europe before. Traveling from Barcelona on Epic this summer. Are there any differences I should be aware of b/t Caribbean and European cruises (other than location)?

Also, obviously no one knows my family's spending habits, but for those who cruised in Europe before, did you exchange $ for euros before you boarded, and if so, how much did you bring (if u don't mind saying)?

I feel like I am a cruise-newbie all over again!

We try not to travel with a lot of cash. It is easy to use ATM's to get cash in the local currency.

Having said that, we usually have left with a few hundred Euros on us, when we've traveled to and cruised in Europe.

As you say, you know your family's spending habits better than anyone else, but you will want to take into consideration how much time (if any) you will spend in Barcelona before boarding, as well as what you plan to do in the ports of call. Last Fall, we had pre-booked and pre-paid private excursions in most of the European ports, so we weren't having to pay taxis or tour guides there. Things like that can make quite a difference.

What ports will your cruise call in to? Enjoy!

As far as the cruise itself, no, NCL is still an American cruise line so you won't notice much if any difference on the food, drinks, entertainment, etc.

As far as traveling to Europe? Lots of differences. As someone pointed out, they don't embrace the public restroom the way we have, will want change for toilets. And don't expect the modern and cleanliness you'd expect in US toilets.

We just get cash from the ATM as we go, rather than changing money to euros. Most places accept credit cards to, just be aware if your cards have foreign transaction fees. Also be sure to tell your credit and debit card banks that your traveling, some like Amex don't care, but on my first international trip they shut my cards down when I didn't tell them.

I would def fly in a few days ahead of time. Gives you time to adjust to the time change and see Barcelona.

Research other threads here about Europe. Pick pockets are really big there, easy to protect yourself, just have to know what to look for.

We get everywhere via taxis and trains, I don't recommend renting cars for first timers. Some cities it's no big deal, but there are cities where you'll never figure out the rules of the road.

Also, if you get a 'coffee' in many places, you'll be given espresso. Hence the drink 'americano' where it's espresso mixed with water, closer to the coffee we have here. Also uncommon to find sweetener, usually just sugar is offered so you may want to bring it if it's an essential for you. But, again, on the ship, everything will be 'american' style.

I absolutely love traveling in Europe, but you have to embrace the fact that the culture is different. Things that are a certain way here aren't necessarily the same way there. I'll never forget my first trip where we had a pre-set meal in France one night (was in a group). At the time I was a vegetarian, along with several people in the group. We started eating our 'vegetarian' meal option, only to discover it was squid.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by sanger727

We brought about 500 €. Spent it on taxis, meals, shopping, and ... toilets. :) I recall paying 1 € in Florence to use a "public" bathroom.

It's interesting that people are used to so different things!

We are used to have to pay for a public toilet so we don't really think about it!

In America you are used to other things. I have been to the US many times and I still think that it's strange that your pricetags show the price without tax, should't it be easier to show the price with the tax included?

Your tipping system is also interesting. Should't it be easier to include the cost for a decent salary in the prices on the menu so that a tip wasn't needed?

It's not a problem for me, I just think that it's interesting.

I'll never forget my first trip where we had a pre-set meal in France one night (was in a group). At the time I was a vegetarian, along with several people in the group. We started eating our 'vegetarian' meal option, only to discover it was squid.

The French especially are terrible for that! They will often try and pass off a fish meal as veggie. You shouldn't experience that in many other European countries but it's always worth clarifying that you don't eat fish. To be fair even in the UK my veggie mother has been served fish as the 'veggie' option at weddings- people should really know better!!

As a Brit who sees both the Euro and US cultures from an outsiders point of view, I would say that the mention of tipping in the last post is worth picking up on- in the sense that Europe is not a tipping culture and therefore the service level when in port may not be what you are used to in the US. Of course you will often experience great service, but the staff are not desperate for your tips so will not be falling over you trying to earn them. Service especially in countries like Spain is very laid back. Don't get frustrated or angry about it, just accept that the way of life is slower in the Med.

I have been wondering about that. We are embarking in Barcelona and going to Italian and French ports. Only one sea day. How does the added vat work and does it effect drinks prices ( we have UBP)?

Being from an EU country you will not have to pay any extra for drinks with your UBP

we used credit cards all over Europe to get the best exchange rate (everything is chip and pin there tho, so make sure your card has that). we did bring about $100 in Euros for stuff like the bathroom and street food. we also got some Kronar for the 2 days we had in copenhagen.

generally, the ship will be an older demographic and a lot quieter at night. NCL will still do the usual parties, etc. but they will be scarcely attended. because the itineraries are port intensive, you are tired at the end of the day. while i did a few parties on my 9 day baltics sail, i too was in bed by 10 or 1030 most nights which is not like me at all on a cruise!

For sure ask for americano.

You may have the same problem in Spain with veggie food. I recall telling a waiter I was vegetarian and his answer was "why!?" I think he brought me beans with ham garnish - well beans are vegetables after all!!

Do come a few days early to adjust to the jet lag and the weather. Barcelona is such a lovely city you need a few days to explore. Wonderful architecture , the coast Montserrat.

You cannot stay for too long.

You will need change for a taxi from the airport - and we usually get a taxi to the ship. I know there are slightly cheaper public transport options but in 5 cruises from Barcelona I have never begrudged a couple of euro at the start of my vacation. There will be ATMs at the airport but I would make sure you have at least a couple of hundred euro in your purse just to be sure. You will be tired and want to get to your hotel as soon as possible.

You do need to plan the days more carefully than a Caribbean cruise because you will want to do more than just see the nearest beach. The best value is if you can get a group for a private tour, however Livorno is harder when it comes to public transport unless you just want to go to Pisa. we found that the "Florence on your own" trip was really good a couple of years back and the cinque Terre trip worked out well - and easier than me trying to plan it myself.

I am not going until October but I am already thinking about my options. I have six Med cruises behind me and i don't think I will be repeating anything!

It's interesting that people are used to so different things!

We are used to have to pay for a public toilet so we don't really think about it!

In America you are used to other things. I have been to the US many times and I still think that it's strange that your pricetags show the price without tax, should't it be easier to show the price with the tax included?

Your tipping system is also interesting. Should't it be easier to include the cost for a decent salary in the prices on the menu so that a tip wasn't needed?

It's not a problem for me, I just think that it's interesting.

I'm American, but I also think it's silly that we don't show full prices on things. I could be wrong, but I speculate that it has to do with taxes varying from state to state within the U.S. For example, I grew up in Pennsylvania, where sales tax is 6 percent, but I now live in New Jersey, where it's 7 percent. So for big-box retailers that have locations in states all across the country, it would be a nightmare to have to print different tags for each piece of merchandise. To make it more complicated, some states (like New York, for example) have tax-free days, where there's no sales tax on anything, so then all of those final prices would be wrong if they were printed on everything.

As for tipping, that's another can of worms. I'm a generous tipper out of guilt (unless the service is awful), but I do agree that if a restaurant can't afford to pay its employees minimum wage without my having to tip, that restaurant shouldn't be in business. All-inclusive pricing would be so much easier for everyone.

Everyone has already given great suggestions. Some other things I noticed in Europe:

Smoking: It's a lot more prevalent in Europe than in the States.

Language: Even if you don't speak the local language, learn a few important phrases. In my experience, people are more friendly and more likely to help you if you make the effort.

Dining/Drinks: Apart from tipping and service, which have already been discussed, note that in some places, it's not customary to provide free glasses of water at the table; if you want it with your meal, you might have to pay for it. Carbonated water seems to be more of a staple there, as well, and in some locations, ice isn't as widely used in drinks as it is here. A handful of places serve certain types of beer warm.

Have a great trip!

Language: Even if you don't speak the local language, learn a few important phrases. In my experience, people are more friendly and more likely to help you if you make the effort.

I want to second this piece of advice. It's really important. Don't act as though you assume people speak English, even in places where they very likely do. Also, if you can, learn a few basic cultural norms. For example, in France, it's expected that a customer will greet the shopkeeper upon entering, e.g., with a cheery "Bonjour!" (and and "au revoir" upon leaving.) You'd be amazed at how much nicer folks will be to you.

Have a great trip!

European cruiseS are very port intensive, so you will see a lot of tired people at the end of the day. Not that there won't be partiers at night. It just doesn't have that steel drum band vibe. There will be a mix of American, Canadian, European and South American passengers. I suggest doing afternoon excursions and enjoying the pool in the morning when everyone is off the ship! There will be a surprising number of kids in summer and they will hog the pool and hot tubs. So take advantage of port day mornings. Plus, who wants to get up early on vacation for a tour? Not me.

I get Euros at the airport in the International Terminal stateside. I get enough for incidentals like taxis, and a few vendors that may not take credit cards. 200 Euros is enough. I then do ship sponsored excursions. I love them. You pay in US dollars, you are safe, you are less likely to be pick pocketed (I have been pickpocketed in Barcelona- it's no joke) and you can relax knowing the ship will not leave without you when you do a ship sponsored tour. USE THE BATHROOM BEFORE LEAVING THE SHIP. Most tour buses won't have a working toilet (or so they say). In most European towns, I suggest going to a nice looking restaurant, getting a cup of coffee, glass of wine or light meal and use their restroom for free. Otherwise public restroom are hard to find and gross when you do.

Best excursions I've done: The Cinque Terre out of Livorno. In Rome I would do a tour. By the time you do it alone, you end up spending as much, seeing less and don't have an Italian guide. Spend the money and do a tour. An overview of the city would be my suggestion. Rome wasn't built in a day. I preferred Herculaneum to Pompeii out of Naples. It's smaller, more intact, less crowded, closer to the ship and more interesting. If you chose to do Pompeii make sure to bring an umbrella for shade. There is none and it's brutally hot in summer. I haven't been to Cannes so can't comment on that city- I love that area though and I'd recommend an excursion to Monaco. Lovely drive. Do an excursion in Palma De Mallorca because there is nothing of interest in the port. If you have a late flight leaving Barcelona, I highly recommend the tour to Monserrat. It was fabulous. Your luggage is stored on the bus and then they drop you off at the airport. BEST ADVICE- tour with very little money on you, keep a spare credit card and ATM card in the room, and watch your camera or cell phone. PICKPOCKETS abound.

Everyone has already given great suggestions. Some other things I noticed in Europe:

Smoking: It's a lot more prevalent in Europe than in the States.

Dining/Drinks: Apart from tipping and service, which have already been discussed, note that in some places, it's not customary to provide free glasses of water at the table; if you want it with your meal, you might have to pay for it. Carbonated water seems to be more of a staple there, as well, and in some locations, ice isn't as widely used in drinks as it is here. A handful of places serve certain types of beer warm.

Have a great trip!

The part about water at meals is a fair point. As an American i continue to find it odd. You can go to a country/city with perfectly good tap water - but you do NOT have tap water at a restaurant. Just not done and the waiter gives you a disgusted look if you ask for it. So, can ask, but expect to pay for a large bottle of water to share at dinner. Also they often bring over a basket of bread; and it'll be charged to your bill. I think of it as the tipping substitute. It all works out the same; in the US I'd get free tap water and bread and tip 20%, in Europe you'd tip 10% max but pay for your water and bread.

Also, drinks are usually room temperature and sodas are served in cans, no refills, and super expensive. Can often have wine at meals for less than a soda.