Food on Viking Embla is horrible

goldenrod

BTW, the sauces are made from a broth that the Viking chef makes twice a week. Supposedly it takes all day to make the broth. This is a typical French cooking technique where you make a broth and then a mother sauce, which can be used to make many other sauces. If the broth is made wrong in the first place, all the sauces that result from the broth will not be good.

You are repeating a report based on one chef 4 years ago and you have no idea if the Embla Chef, or indeed any other Viking chef actually works that way these days, so stating this as a 'fact' is a bit of a reach...

.. reaching further to assume there was something wrong with each of the broths he might have made over the course of the cruise is yet another odd leap without anything to support it...

... but it wouldn't be the first time that has happened in this thread :)

Is it under Reviews and then Viking and Embla? I'm not seeing it. Can you give me the link please? I really do want to read what you have to say about the whole thing...

BTW, the sauces are made from a broth that the Viking chef makes twice a week. Supposedly it takes all day to make the broth. This is a typical French cooking technique where you make a broth and then a mother sauce, which can be used to make many other sauces. If the broth is made wrong in the first place, all the sauces that result from the broth will not be good.

Just looked could not find it either don't know what happened

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You are repeating a report based on one chef 4 years ago and you have no idea if the Embla Chef, or indeed any other Viking chef actually works that way these days, so stating this as a 'fact' is a bit of a reach...

.. reaching further to assume there was something wrong with each of the broths he might have made over the course of the cruise is yet another odd leap without anything to support it...

... but it wouldn't be the first time that has happened in this thread :)

So you are certain that French Chef Anthony Mauboussin does not cook using French techniques? Please inform me of what techniques he uses! I'd be very interested to know.

Edited by SuiteTraveler

So you actually believe that French Chef Anthony Mauboussin does not cook using French techniques? Please inform me of what techniques he uses! I'd be very interested to know.

I come from a hotel background, I've known enough Chefs, French and otherwise to know it is unwise to ever make assumptions about how they cook based merely on their nationality, and even more unwise to assume that they would fail to notice a mistake on something as basic as this on multiple occasions.

Unlike others in this thread I am not going to pretend that I know anything about this particular Chef or the methods employed on this ship, I am simply going to observe that we have a long series of hyperbolic posts from one source and a calm well worded counter point from another source, I am sure most here can draw their own conclusions...

I come from a hotel background, I've known enough Chefs, French and otherwise to know it is unwise to ever make assumptions about how they cook based merely on their nationality, and even more unwise to assume that they would fail to notice a mistake on something as basic as this on multiple occasions.

Unlike others in this thread I am not going to pretend that I know anything about this particular Chef or the methods employed on this ship, I am simply going to observe that we have a long series of hyperbolic posts from one source and a calm well worded counter point from another source, I am sure most here can draw their own conclusions...

Let's let Chef Mauboussin speak for himself:

"I am a very simple person. I like things to be good, to be traditional," Mauboussin said this week during an unveiling of the menu aboard Sky. "I'm not really someone who works with (classic recipe-altering) fusion."

http://www.wwltv.com/ext/news/nation-now/new-french-menu-on-viking-ship-is-showcase-for-top-chef/289/nationnow/ERaKCmH3hegs2YqUkMcA6

I don't think that Chef Mauboussin could be more clear about his point of view as a chef. He trained at the Curnonsky Culinary School in the Loire Valley. From this, we can know that his background is indeed traditional French cooking and without question he would have learned traditional French techniques at the school which was named for the greatest French gastronome of the 20th century.

But by all means, go on believing that what Chef Mauboussin says about himself isn't accurate and that his education made no difference to the way he thinks about food and designs menus.

But by all means, go on believing that what Chef Mauboussin says about himself isn't accurate and that his education made no difference to the way he thinks about food and designs menus.

Again, not what I said at all, but you do seem to make some odd leaps in your posts.

You would appear to be happy to assume that he follows all of his training and tradition yet somehow forgets to taste what is produced in his kitchen multiple times during the course of the cruise... :)

Isn't it easier to simply believe that one person didn't enjoy the food as much as he had expected to, while others were quite happy... ?

You don't have to imaginatively create ways for something to be wrong with the food, the kitchen or the Chef, just accept that food is a subjective thing and sometimes people can over-react a bit when they are not enjoying an expensive holiday...

Again, not what I said at all, but you do seem to make some odd leaps in your posts.

You would appear to be happy to assume that he follows all of his training and tradition yet somehow forgets to taste what is produced in his kitchen multiple times during the course of the cruise... :)

Isn't it easier to simply believe that one person didn't enjoy the food as much as he had expected to, while others were quite happy... ?

You don't have to imaginatively create ways for something to be wrong with the food, the kitchen or the Chef, just accept that food is a subjective thing and sometimes people can over-react a bit when they are not enjoying an expensive holiday...

Maybe you have skipped through my posts instead of trying to understand what I am saying in the same way you seem to have completely missed what goldenrod is upset about.

Chef Mauboussin is the Director of Culinary Development for Viking Cruises (both river and ocean) and has been in this role since March 2014. He is not on the Embla. Chef Mauboussin is the Chef who designs all of the recipes and techniques used to prepare the food served on Viking. The recipes Chef Mauboussin designs are prepared under the supervision of his subordinates who are Executive Chefs on each ship. Here is the job description for the Executive Chef role:

https://career012.successfactors.eu/career?career%5fns=job%5flisting&company=C0014749501P&navBarLevel=JOB%5fSEARCH&rcm%5fsite%5flocale=en%5fGB&career_job_req_id=611&selected_lang=en_GB&jobAlertController_jobAlertId=&jobAlertController_jobAlertName=&_s.crb=0GbfWcLAKUpVHMUt56vungPjyis%3d

When did you submit the review? Sometimes it takes a while before they show up.

Will see I have now posted it twice. If it does not show up tomorrow I will try and contact C/C.

Sent from my iPhone using Forumsif it's not on tomorrow I will try and contact C/C

Chef Mauboussin is the Director of Culinary Development for Viking Cruises (both river and ocean) and has been in this role since March 2014. He is not on the Embla. Chef Mauboussin is the Chef who designs all of the recipes and techniques used to prepare the food served on Viking.

That's a fair point, but you are still postulating a scenario in which the Embla Chef is following a particular methodology repeatedly yet still failing to taste his own products and notice faults, as the root cause, rather than the simple and more believable answer that different people like different things and have different expectations.

You don't have to assume that there is anything wrong in the kitchen to still have a guest unhappy with the food while others are not unhappy.

If the thread had been less littered with hyperbole there would probably have been a lot more sympathy for the OP, but it is hard to take seriously the outrage at the pastrami sandwich, or the absence of non-regional condiments and prawn cocktails.

Similarly using a headline price to set the expectation level is not going to work on most river cruise lines. The general services are in line with the average cabin prices, if you choose to pay the often exorbitant up-charge for the limited number of suites you need to recognise that you are paying for the suite itself, not for any services outside the suite, unless specifically listed. Same goes for airline upgrades as well of course.

If the OP had been in Aquarium class would his outrage have been less?

Ah well, we are going in circles now, not sure there is much new that can be added at this point, but I'm sure the thread will linger on for a while anyway :)

Mark T said:

"If the thread had been less littered with hyperbole there would probably have been a lot more sympathy for the OP, but it is hard to take seriously the outrage at the pastrami sandwich, or the absence of non-regional condiments and prawn cocktails."

The pastrami sandwich was my Rubicon in this tale of woe. Most of us, I imagine, would have been appreciative of the extra effort it took in the preparation of an off-menu item. Under no circumstances would I come to this forum to publicly mock them for that kindness when the sandwich was not constructed to his ideal standards .

We all know goldenrod didn't research his cruise or read other reviews about it beforehand, so obviously he didn't know what others have posted on the internet. Yet his complaints ARE corroborated by many other reviewers on the internet and these past Viking passengers were in lower category cabins than goldenrod. Because of this I think goldenrod is not only believable but most likely right.

In regards to the Pastrami sandwich - other people have posted about it, too in their review and described the exact same thing goldenrod described. It may not have been on the menu the day goldenrod had it but it IS on at least one lunch menu.

What I have come to the conclusion from reading this thread is that the OP has no proof whatsoever that he polled 50 guests as to their rating of food. I can only imagine the poor fellow cruisers that had to listen to his complaints. I truly sympathize. I find the OP decided to take the free perk with the understanding that he wouldn't disclose it and decided to continue berating Viking. That shows character. I find the OP likes to brag about his cruising expertise and his financial worth. When I see reviews such as his I take all things into consideration and on this one I find it not very credible.

I have only been on one Viking River Cruise but I can tell you that it was absolutely perfect with ZERO complaints regarding food or anything else for that matter. I would not hesitate to recommend a Viking River Cruise to friends and family. I leave for a Viking Ocean cruise soon and definitely looking forward to it.

What I have come to the conclusion from reading this thread is that the OP has no proof whatsoever that he polled 50 guests as to their rating of food. I can only imagine the poor fellow cruisers that had to listen to his complaints. I truly sympathize. I find the OP decided to take the free perk with the understanding that he wouldn't disclose it and decided to continue berating Viking. That shows character. I find the OP likes to brag about his cruising expertise and his financial worth. When I see reviews such as his I take all things into consideration and on this one I find it not very credible.

I have only been on one Viking River Cruise but I can tell you that it was absolutely perfect with ZERO complaints regarding food or anything else for that matter. I would not hesitate to recommend a Viking River Cruise to friends and family. I leave for a Viking Ocean cruise soon and definitely looking forward to it.

The agreement was not to disclose the perks to the people we were sailing with, and we did not! No one even knew I was posting, I only asked people we sat with at meals what they thought of the food. The people and the staff were great, it was the food and the quality of the food that was horrible!

I have now tried twice to post a full review of our trip on C/C under river cruise reviews, I spent a lot of time and answered all the questions, and it is still not showing up! I have sent C/C an email about this but have not heard back.

Edited by goldenrod

I have now tried twice to post a full review of our trip on C/C under river cruise reviews, I spent a lot of time and answered all the questions, and it is still not showing up! I have sent C/C an email about this but have not heard back.

goldenrod, sometimes it takes 2 or 3 days as the moderators have to read it first. They want to make sure that you really were on the cruise and that your review is written so that readers can understand it. I don't think there will be a problem with your review, just make take some time for it to be published, in my experience.

Again I ask - how long since you submitted the review? It can take a while, often over a week, for reviews to show up.

Again I ask - how long since you submitted the review? It can take a while, often over a week, for reviews to show up.

I posted the first time May 2nd and again yesterday May 7th