Food on Viking Embla is horrible

goldenrod

Rhonpat didn't mention the rating scale. OP's survey was 5-6 out of 10. If Rhonpat's 6-7 is also out of 10 they aren't disagreeing by much.
Okay, let's look at the essay portion:

… I have been on over 20 ocean cruises like Princess, RCI, Carnival, Disney, NCI, Holland America and thought the food on Viking was similar. Some nights were hits some nights just ok… I wouldn't hesitate to travel with them again..
Compare that to the OP’s comments: "Food on this tub is total garbage!", "crap", "horrible" and "lousy".

I’d say that the two evaluators are definitely disagreeing by a considerable amount.

I think it would have been helpful if we could have seen photos of the menus and the actual dishes served. It's odd that there are so few pictures of Viking menus and food served available from past guests. It makes me wonder if Viking frowns on that and discourages guests from doing that.

I think it would have been helpful if we could have seen photos of the menus and the actual dishes served. It's odd that there are so few pictures of Viking menus and food served available from past guests. It makes me wonder if Viking frowns on that and discourages guests from doing that.

If I were Viking, I would be proud to have photos posted of the food that was served to me on our Viking River and Viking Ocean cruise. There was no indication during either cruise that photography was prohibited. We were just too busy eating, drinking, and talking to our fellow guests to think of it!

Thanks Karry66 for the link. We have traveled with Viking often and the menus and photos look like the meals we've enjoyed. This will be helpful to those who are new to Viking also.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It's odd that there are so few pictures of Viking menus and food served available from past guests. It makes me wonder if Viking frowns on that and discourages guests from doing that.

Comments like this make me wonder about the motivations of some people posting to this thread.

Why on earth would you leap to that sort of conclusion?

For the most part when I am on vacation I'm more interested in eating the food than documenting the menu and the meals...

Comments like this make me wonder about the motivations of some people posting to this thread.

I guess you are referring to me as "some people". My motivation is that I would like to see more photos. That's really not very unusual. Don't you like to see pictures???

Why on earth would you leap to that sort of conclusion?

Well....the OP didn't offer any photos of menus or actual food served. And if he had, it might have made it easier to see if there was justification to his rants. And compared to the abundance of photos from Ocean cruise reviews, it just seems like many river cruisers don't provide photos of menus and food. I do understand the volume of ocean cruisers compared to river cruisers.

For the most part when I am on vacation I'm more interested in eating the food than documenting the menu and the meals...

There's nothing wrong with that at all. Sometimes I take photos and other times I don't.

Would you be interested in seeing photos of menus and dishes if you were taking a cruise on a line that you have never been on before?? Seems reasonable to me.

I have read as much as I can stomach. Just one comment . If the food is bad as the OP claims . I would think that Viking is about to go under.

If you had read to the end you would have found that it wasn't, and no, Viking is not 'about to go under'.

There's nothing wrong with that at all. Sometimes I take photos and other times I don't.

Would you be interested in seeing photos of menus and dishes if you were taking a cruise on a line that you have never been on before?? Seems reasonable to me.

Yes, that is reasonable, suggesting that Viking are discouraging people from taking photos is not reasonable.

You are not the only one doing this in this thread, there have been a few odd leaps from the facts to wild speculation...

Sometimes I take photos of my food. But after taking photos all day long I just don't bother to take my camera to dinner. And, often there is just no place to put my camera at dinner time. My pockets are not deep enough (as most women will attest), I don't carry a purse on the boat, and I don't want to set it on the dinner table.

When we first started cruising, the menus were handed to each customer and we could take them with us. Now they are in a binder and are reused.

I've been on 7 Viking cruises. The food in general has been fine. Each chef is a little different and some cruises I enjoyed the food better than others. I like the European trained chefs, but in all the food has been fine. And the steak on the everyday menu is really good, although I try hard not to select it as I rather have one of the three entree selections for that day.

On an Avalon cruise 9 years ago I really had food that was not seasoned. That had to do with the chef from North Africa. Food looked good but no taste. So to each his own.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I can't speak for anyone else but I was too busy enjoying my delicious food to even think of taking photos of either the food or the menus. I also think it's a bit gauche when you are at a table with other people.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If I were Viking, I would be proud to have photos posted of the food that was served to me on our Viking River and Viking Ocean cruise. There was no indication during either cruise that photography was prohibited. We were just too busy eating, drinking, and talking to our fellow guests to think of it!

Exactly - taking photos was the last thing on my mind!

Yes, that is reasonable, suggesting that Viking are discouraging people from taking photos is not reasonable.

You are not the only one doing this in this thread, there have been a few odd leaps from the facts to wild speculation...

I agree. There has been a lot of that in this thread. It's the kind of thing that makes me question motives ... things that make you go hmmm [emoji1]

I agree. There has been a lot of that in this thread. It's the kind of thing that makes me question motives ... things that make you go hmmm [emoji1]
I have actually wondered if a few posters on this thread are not the OP using a (against the rules) second account. I am NOT saying that is the case, but it has crossed my mind.

Have been reading with amusement some of the recent posts on this thread I started weeks ago, the best one is the suspicion that I have an illegal second identity and have been using it to post comments backing my original post. I'm sure this person thinks at 72 and retired I have nothing better to do than put fake posts on C/C, what a fool! Sir I owned and ran a 45 million dollar company for 22 years, and now own 12 free and clear rentals. So I have other things to worry about other than making fake postings! But thanks for the good laugh.

Look on C/C under Viking and the Embla

And the reason I did not post pictures of the food that tells you only how it looks not how it tasted.

Look on C/C under Viking and the Embla

And the reason I did not post pictures of the food that tells you only how it looks not how it tasted.

Is it under Reviews and then Viking and Embla? I'm not seeing it. Can you give me the link please? I really do want to read what you have to say about the whole thing...

BTW, the sauces are made from a broth that the Viking chef makes twice a week. Supposedly it takes all day to make the broth. This is a typical French cooking technique where you make a broth and then a mother sauce, which can be used to make many other sauces. If the broth is made wrong in the first place, all the sauces that result from the broth will not be good.