Smoked salmon from Alaska

midwestchick

What we saw was vacuum sealed, which we saw in various tourist locations. So yes, it was likely higher priced than where the locals shop. I only remember the price because our older son kept asking for it, but I wasn't about to pay that for it.

What we saw was vacuum sealed, which we saw in various tourist locations. So yes, it was likely higher priced than where the locals shop. I only remember the price because our older son kept asking for it, but I wasn't about to pay that for it.

I'll do a search. DH said he has to bring some home. We'll be in Anchorage a couple of days pre cruise. I'll find out where the locals shop for it. The hotel may be able to tell me that. Appreciate your responses.

Smoked salmon is an expensive item.

If you're in Seattle stop by Fishermans Terminal in Ballard, not far from pier91. Active dock. You might even see a Deadliest Catch boat or captain. We met Capt Keith when he was in town.

There are a number of places to buy fresh seafood and gifts. This gives you an idea of prices. Try salmon jerky....Pike Place Market carries jerky also.

http://wildsalmonseafood.com/page/uvi/Seafood_Price_List.html

I'm sure Vancouver has a similar terminal/dock/wharf to buy fresh or smoked seafood.

Edited by mapleleaves

Smoked salmon is an expensive item.

If you're in Seattle stop by Fishermans Terminal in Ballard, not far from pier91. Active dock. You might even see a Deadliest Catch boat or captain. We met Capt Keith when he was in town.

http://wildsalmonseafood.com/page/uvi/Seafood_Price_List.html

We're not in Seattle...Seward to Vancouver. We're actually going out on one of deadliest catch boats in Ketchikan. 😁

We were in Seattle last fall...never gave the salmon a thought.

I don't care what it costs, it is well worth it to me. :) My favorite is sockeye salmon from Taku Smokery in Juneau.

I buy a boatload of it, every trip and enjoy every bite. :) (until the next trip :) )

I don't care what it costs, it is well worth it to me. :) My favorite is sockeye salmon from Taku Smokery in Juneau.

I buy a boatload of it, every trip and enjoy every bite. :) (until the next trip :) )

Do you take it home or have it shipped? Their prices don't look too horrible. DH really wants salmon from Alaska.

We can bring it through customs into Canada and again flying back into the US?

As long as it's properly packaged (i.e. sealed & commercially labelled) and you haven't opened it, no problem at customs - just be sure to declare it.

But unless you're picky about your salmon and can find a particular smokery that really suits your palate, it's much easier to acquire smoked salmon closer to home - it's widely available all over the US and will probably cost you less at home without any of the hassle of transporting it. Costco sells a decent range, including usually Sockeye (also my fave) and other Pacific species. Just pay attention to the packaging - I've yet to see any brand that doesn't clearly state whether it's AK wild (and which species) or Atlantic (US/Canadian/Scottish/Norwegian, wild or farmed).

We're spoiled here but it's still not cheap. I usually get Fairhaven Bay salmon because it's local (more or less), really good and I can get it at QFC. One thing to note about price is that the packaging can influence that a lot. Salmon in wooden boxes will cost a lot more than plain old cardboard/fiberboard boxes. It's the same foil pouches inside. You can often order on-line and get a shipping deal that makes it much easier than hauling it home.

Is canned smoked salmon a sacrilege?

I had some last time I was in Alaska and loved it. Was planning to pick up more on our next trip but looking around online I see it's readily available thru alaskacannery.com .

King or Sockeye. (Probably more but that's all I was interested in.) Price decreases with volume and free shipping.

They also had the larger smoked filets for something like 5 lbs/ $88.

The packaging doesn't really matter - unless you want to serve a side of salmon at a dinner party for folks to eat with bread/capers etc. If you're cooking with it or just shoveling it down without worrying about presentation, canned works fine...

Is canned smoked salmon a sacrilege?

I had some last time I was in Alaska and loved it. Was planning to pick up more on our next trip but looking around online I see it's readily available thru alaskacannery.com .

King or Sockeye. (Probably more but that's all I was interested in.) Price decreases with volume and free shipping.

They also had the larger smoked filets for something like 5 lbs/ $88.

Not a sacrilege, but it is a different product. The taste and texture are definitely different. Taste both while in Alaska and decide. You might want to go the "eat less, pay more" route with really good smoked salmon. Keep the canned salmon for cooking, dips, etc. The canning process does affect the taste.

We buy the canned in Alaska and have it mailed home. I use it for cooking, dips, make my own salmon patties by mixing with salmon, etc. We've never gotten the packaged smoked salmon in Alaska because we can get it at home. We've found the best buys in Ketchikan.

While up there fishing every summer I manage to smoke 30-35# of Sockeye from the Kenai or Russian river.The Sockeye I catch in the Copper I bring home fresh. Usually lasts me the year as long as I don't give out too much to my "fish friends"!!

We buy the canned in Alaska and have it mailed home. I use it for cooking, dips, make my own salmon patties by mixing with salmon, etc. We've never gotten the packaged smoked salmon in Alaska because we can get it at home. We've found the best buys in Ketchikan.

Where in Ketchikan? We may buy at a couple different places to compare. We're definitely going to buy in Juneau and possibly Anchorage. I'm taking this information with me.

DH used to salmon fish and we had a Russian friend who did a fantastic job smoking them. I never liked salmon until I had the smoked salmon he did for us.

Thanks for the feedback re: canned smoked salmon.

Although I liked the larger smoked filets, mostly I'm looking for smaller snack-type amounts. Something we can have with crackers and cheese and relive a fabulous vacation ;-) .

I think the 6 oz. cans will do nicely.