Many thanks to all you Aussies and Kiwis

there was a great movie written by Nino Collata (forgive my spelling i failed grade prep at english) called "Their a weird Mob"

loved the book and the movie

He did some great books, (real name John O'Grady)

Hawka, yes it is the best ground in Australia! By the way I am a she...

Leigh

oops sorry :o my bad :(

Not always easy to know with screen names and all that.

But even when folk use their real name it can be hard.

Now of course the Brothers Gibb, really got there start from Brisbane.

I think you had the show Banstand in America too???

Well we had a version here called Junior Bandstand (we had the older version too) well when the BGs were late teens early 20s, They were in Jnr Bandstand, (just breaking into show biz) who should be a dancer on the same episode, but Mrs Gut, )yet she still chose me:cool:).

And of course the brothers Gibb were British migrants, as was John Farnham, Jimmy Barnes and a heap of other 'Colonial 'singers.:p

Not always easy to know with screen names and all that.

But even when folk use their real name it can be hard.

true there are names that are both female and male was only talking on that a few weeks ago

true there are names that are both female and male was only talking on that a few weeks ago

A lot of them too..

Lee (in all its spellings)

Pat

robin (usually easy by spelling, or once was anyway)

Alex

Drew (once boys only)

Taylor

Riley

Bobby (another that spelling once solved)

Chris

Jamie

But I might just leave it there.

there was a great movie written by Nino Collata (forgive my spelling i failed grade prep at english) called "Their a weird Mob"

loved the book and the movie

Nino Culotta, I'll translate the name for you.

It's a mixture of Italian and Australian, "Nino" is added to a mans name when he is a boy, as in Giovanni being Giovannino as a boy, shortened to "Nino" as we do.

'Culo' is your backside, and the "lotta" is Aussie for big or lots of.

So using the Aussie vernacular the translation comes out as "Young Big Asre", spelling altered so it doesn't get deleted.

Yes, as you can imagine I'm referred to as a male regularly, it is something I have had to deal with all my life and even when I put Mrs, I'll receive return mail addressed to Mr Leigh _______. As a child I absolutely hated being called Leigh but have had a long time to get used to it. People would spell it as Lee and when I'd correct them they'd say but that's the boy's way!

There are more and more names that could be male or female, particularly surnames that are now used as first names.

Leigh

oops sorry :o my bad :(

No problems Hawka,

It is difficult to tell from screen names and my name doesn't help either. I can't tell from your screen name if you are male or female either.

Leigh

Yes, as you can imagine I'm referred to as a male regularly, it is something I have had to deal with all my life and even when I put Mrs, I'll receive return mail addressed to Mr Leigh _______. As a child I absolutely hated being called Leigh but have had a long time to get used to it. People would spell it as Lee and when I'd correct them they'd say but that's the boy's way!

There are more and more names that could be male or female, particularly surnames that are now used as first names.

Leigh

Mrs Gut, is really Dr Gut, I often get called Dr, you'd think in this day and age they'd know a Sheila could be a doctor.

Now of course the Brothers Gibb, really got there start from Brisbane.

I think you had the show Banstand in America too???

Well we had a version here called Junior Bandstand (we had the older version too) well when the BGs were late teens early 20s, They were in Jnr Bandstand, (just breaking into show biz) who should be a dancer on the same episode, but Mrs Gut, )yet she still chose me:cool:).

I didn't know that (or that they were from the UK, as posted earlier), I thought they were Australian born and bred. Dumb Americans :)

Yes, we had American Bandstand ("well Dick (Clark), I liked the beat but the words were bad.."). And Mrs Gut was there--good onya' mate. I saw from a previous post it should be Dr Mrs Gut--what a successful family you are, you must be very proud!

ML

I didn't know that (or that they were from the UK, as posted earlier), I thought they were Australian born and bred. Dumb Americans :)

Yes, we had American Bandstand ("well Dick (Clark), I liked the beat but the words were bad.."). And Mrs Gut was there--good onya' mate. I saw from a previous post it should be Dr Mrs Gut--what a successful family you are, you must be very proud!

ML

But, as my son says, she's not a real doctor, just history.

definitely take him up on this NoWhiners , Best ground in Oz :D

Hawka

Thanks for your help, really appreciated. Surprised you didn't see that Keigh was a woman :D

Hawka, yes it is the best ground in Australia! By the way I am a she...

Leigh

Leigh

I knew you were a woman, maybe that's why I loved your advice so much! And, absolutely, if we ever get there again, we are holding you to a visit to Melbourne Cricket ground. Would be so much better with someone who could tell us what is happening :)

ML

But, as my son says, she's not a real doctor, just history.

Don't underestimate the achievement. It takes dedication and hard work to get a PhD, I can appreciate that. I hope dear son isn't expecting his favorite dessert for Easter :D

ML

Don't underestimate the achievement. It takes dedication and hard work to get a PhD, I can appreciate that. I hope dear son isn't expecting his favorite dessert for Easter :D

ML

He's long left home so his missus has to worry about him now.

I'm not sure it was dedication but stubbornness on Mrs Gut's part.

And hard work by all of us.

The kids reckoned they knew every child Convict (her topic of interest) to come to Australia, by name our daughter one day spent eight hours kneeling on the cross work steel while she searched some data bases by age to help out. Our son did the same with micro film.

Me I just got to edit the 100,000 words to fix all the formatting issues.

And she didn't do too bad for having left school in year 10 (not sure if your equivalent, probably Jnr High) and then only going to uni in her mid 30s.

He's long left home so his missus has to worry about him now.

I'm not sure it was dedication but stubbornness on Mrs Gut's part.

And hard work by all of us.

The kids reckoned they knew every child Convict (her topic of interest) to come to Australia, by name our daughter one day spent eight hours kneeling on the cross work steel while she searched some data bases by age to help out. Our son did the same with micro film.

Me I just got to edit the 100,000 words to fix all the formatting issues.

And she didn't do too bad for having left school in year 10 (not sure if your equivalent, probably Jnr High) and then only going to uni in her mid 30s.

Well, sure but he still wants Mom's cooking? At least that's my experience!

Glad to hear it was a family project, everyone gets to share in the achievement, Don't even get me started on the school levels. For reference, in the US it is elementary K-6, mid-school 7-8 or 9, sometimes 6-8, then high school 9-12 or maybe 10-12. It depends on the school district and what they call things. it is all very confusing to me. DH and I have 'fake arguments' about what grades belong in each level, just for fun. But HS is considered our highest primary school level. I think ;)

ML

Leigh

sounds like how i get with the spelling of my name which is Jenelle but i get letters etc where i have spelt my name to them for when they send what they are sending etc or posts on fb where my name is in full view yet they still spell it wrong , cant win , sorry on getting you wrong i am female too and i sure have found a couple of different ways at spelling my name

i will admit i didnt see the Leigh at the end of your post either which i know cant always go by that either and yeah screen names dont always tell you either

Well, sure but he still wants Mom's cooking? At least that's my experience!

Glad to hear it was a family project, everyone gets to share in the achievement, Don't even get me started on the school levels. For reference, in the US it is elementary K-6, mid-school 7-8 or 9, sometimes 6-8, then high school 9-12 or maybe 10-12. It depends on the school district and what they call things. it is all very confusing to me. DH and I have 'fake arguments' about what grades belong in each level, just for fun. But HS is considered our highest primary school level. I think ;)

ML

Those levels aren't dissimilar to here than, though it varies a bit by State.

Here in NSW ITS NORMALLY

K-2 infants

3-6 primary

7-12 High school.

But when I was at high school most left at end of yr10 and did a trade, only those wanting to go onto University went to 12. Mrs G left in yr 10 and after some secretarial work, started as a pathology technician, then her family moved and she worked in a grocery store (supermarket you may have visited a Coles or Woolworths), then at age 17 decided to trap the old Gutster, and not long after we married she went to work in a building society, then came the kids, then a nasty accident that wrecked her shoulder. After Gut finished his study (I was 31 when I started) she decided to have a go partially to get Austudy (a form if income subsidy for students) came home every night wanting to quit "Six more months" I'd say "and we should be right". One lecture she asked "What happened with kids sent to Australia as convicts?" The rest as they say is history.

Hawka

Thanks for your help, really appreciated. Surprised you didn't see that Keigh was a woman :D

Leigh

I knew you were a woman, maybe that's why I loved your advice so much! And, absolutely, if we ever get there again, we are holding you to a visit to Melbourne Cricket ground. Would be so much better with someone who could tell us what is happening :)

ML

if i took you you would probably need ear plugs i yell a lot lol yes shame i didnt realise then i would not have stuffed up on the post i will know for next time i will just say go with what this person says , can not get it wrong then surely

But you probably didn't need to hear all that.

Actually, I loved hearing all of that. Makes me feel closer to you as people and let's me linger a bit longer on this board. The details of who did what is very pleasant.

if i took you you would probably need ear plugs i yell a lot lol yes shame i didnt realise then i would not have stuffed up on the post i will know for next time i will just say go with what this person says , can not get it wrong then surely

As you say, no worries mate! I yell a lot at our (American) football games. DH comes home and tells me I won't be able to watch anymore if I can't calm down ;p I won't tell you my reply (clue--it is not polite!)

As you say, no worries mate! I yell a lot at our (American) football games. DH comes home and tells me I won't be able to watch anymore if I can't calm down ;p I won't tell you my reply (clue--it is not polite!)

Lol cool , yell all you like in my books great to have a passion for the team you support.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Forums mobile app