Formal night Question

After reading a few cruise compasses it looks like certain restaurants in the MDR say 'formal jackets required' on different nights. Am I reading this incorrectly? Does formal night differ depending on which dining room you are in?

*for example, I am looking at previous 9 night Anthem CC.

After reading a few cruise compasses it looks like certain restaurants in the MDR say 'formal jackets required' on different nights. Am I reading this incorrectly? Does formal night differ depending on which dining room you are in?

Anthem once had a "formal" restaurant which required jackets - it no longer exists.

No dress suggestions are enforced, you can wear whatever you want.

No dress suggestions are enforced, you can wear whatever you want.

Yeah I know that much but I was looking forward to formal night for at least one of the nights out of 9. I was reading conflicting answers on which nights they were so I figured I would check out the CC.

Between the specialty restaurants and Coastal Kitchen, I wanted to try and figure out which night we could try and plan for the MDR.

They do NOT "enforce" the suggested dress. There is no "dress code"...simply suggestions. Nowadays, few bring their formal wear...too bulky if flying. As long as you're clean and polite, you're fine.

thanks! I was confused because I WANT to be formal and try to plan my reservations around which night! I have a feeling I might have booked CK and my specialty restaurants on the wrong nights :/

Yeah I know that much but I was looking forward to formal night for at least one of the nights out of 9. I was reading conflicting answers on which nights they were so I figured I would check out the CC.

Between the specialty restaurants and Coastal Kitchen, I wanted to try and figure out which night we could try and plan for the MDR.

I'd try to search for a review of your itinerary, there may be a Compass attached or some mention of which nights were formal.

I'd try to search for a review of your itinerary, there may be a Compass attached or some mention of which nights were formal.

Ok thanks! I guess I need a newer review because the one I found was the one with the info I was confused about!

Thanks for your help!

When i was on the Quantum last year men in the MDR were wearing shorts and tee shirts for dinner but I saw a guy wearing sandals denied entrance.

We actually like to dress nice for dinner. I NEVER get to be fancy so I begged my husband to let us participate in one formal night. He hates dressing up.

I know the whole shorts debate around here is pretty hard core. Sometimes for me that's a pair of dress shorts with heels or a romper with heels. My husband has never worn shorts to dinner but in all honestly, I think I wouldn't mind a nice pair of shorts with a button up shirt for him rather than the nice jeans and dress shirt he wears. I grew up going on cruises so I've always LOVED dressing up a little bit more than usual than normal AND at least one formal night.

He actually dresses up for work on a daily basis so his 'hating to dress up' is still pretty nice compared to some!

They are not required !!!!!!!

thanks! I was confused because I WANT to be formal and try to plan my reservations around which night! I have a feeling I might have booked CK and my specialty restaurants on the wrong nights :/

If Brilliance is an example you might be alone. I believe I could count on 1 hand the number of ladies/gents in formal attire this past week. I saw jeans in MDR (not designer) on formal night. Most cruisers wore in Smart Casual attier that evening.

As has been stated over and over the suggested dress code is ignored by dining staff. It is more like "come as you are." It was pretty much the same on Oasis in Dec.

It might be different on European cruises, but on Caribbean cruises it has become quite casual in recent years.

We actually like to dress nice for dinner. I NEVER get to be fancy so I begged my husband to let us participate in one formal night. He hates dressing up.

I know the whole shorts debate around here is pretty hard core. Sometimes for me that's a pair of dress shorts with heels or a romper with heels. My husband has never worn shorts to dinner but in all honestly, I think I wouldn't mind a nice pair of shorts with a button up shirt for him rather than the nice jeans and dress shirt he wears. I grew up going on cruises so I've always LOVED dressing up a little bit more than usual than normal AND at least one formal night.

He actually dresses up for work on a daily basis so his 'hating to dress up' is still pretty nice compared to some!

I had to wear a suit and tie every day for work .I did not mind it at all but when I vacation I like to dress casual.

You should have two "suggested formal nights" Usually on day two and another later in the cruise. The first one is dressier. You will not be out of place in a really nice dress, think New Year's Eve, and your DH in a dress shirt, tie or blazer.

The second formal night usually has lobster.

Have a great cruise!:)