Beware: New rci suite refund policy worse than airlines

Is RCI's suite cancellation policy fair?  

111 members have voted

1. 1. Is RCI's suite cancellation policy fair?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't know / no opinion

I feel your pain, but people who book on board to get OBC for a suite and then cancel are like chair hogs, IMHO. Sorry, not sorry.

Cabin Hogs. Same genus but different species than Chair Hogs. Indigenous to the warm waters of the Caribbean, but can occasionally be found in the cooler waters off New England and Alaska. Primary diet consists of lobster, steak and mixed cocktails. Similar in appearance to Chair Hogs, can be distinguished by their uniquely colored SeaPass cards. Generally harmless and good natured. Beware of the hybrid when Chair Hogs and Cabin Hogs breed; difficult to spot at first, easily identifiable once you recognize the telltale sign of boundless narcissism.

They lowered their deposit for full suites a few years ago, it might be the time to increase it raises it to the old amount again. It might reduce the number of people that book and then cancel on a consistent basis.

Hi Andrew,

That's exactly my issue with this new policy... They drastically lower the deposit amount for suites a couple of years ago and then they are surprised when some passengers will tie up a suite (or multiple suites) with those small deposits on sailings they may not intend to do...

I would have had no problem with them going back to a deposit of 200% of the full deposit amount... If they did that, it might have potentially solved the problem.

We tend to book most of our cruises 18 to 24 months before sailing and although we always intend to go, that's a long time and things happen.

I wouldn't book a suite under this policy, but why not just book a regular cabin to get the onboard booking credit, and then upgrade to a suite when your plans are final? You should get more obc when you upgrade your cabin.

Cabin Hogs. Same genus but different species than Chair Hogs. Indigenous to the warm waters of the Caribbean, but can occasionally be found in the cooler waters off New England and Alaska. Primary diet consists of lobster, steak and mixed cocktails. Similar in appearance to Chair Hogs, can be distinguished by their uniquely colored SeaPass cards. Generally harmless and good natured. Beware of the hybrid when Chair Hogs and Cabin Hogs breed; difficult to spot at first, easily identifiable once you recognize the telltale sign of boundless narcissism.

:')Bahahahahahaha! I just about spit my coffee all over computer screen! Luv it!!!:'):'):'):'):')

Hi Andrew,

That's exactly my issue with this new policy... They drastically lower the deposit amount for suites a couple of years ago and then they are surprised when some passengers will tie up a suite (or multiple suites) with those small deposits on sailings they may not intend to do...

I would have had no problem with them going back to a deposit of 200% of the full deposit amount... If they did that, it might have potentially solved the problem.

We tend to book most of our cruises 18 to 24 months before sailing and although we always intend to go, that's a long time and things happen.

I agree with all that you stated. It should curb the issue quickly. I hope you are doing well, every thing is good at our place.:)

I wouldn't book a suite under this policy, but why not just book a regular cabin to get the onboard booking credit, and then upgrade to a suite when your plans are final? You should get more obc when you upgrade your cabin.

That's exactly what my plan is from here on out, Marci... and if I can't get my first choice of cabins, so be it. No way will I book a suite onboard with this new policy.

I agree with all that you stated. It should curb the issue quickly. I hope you are doing well, every thing is good at our place.:)

Glad to hear everything is good there... things are good here as well. My husband and I are going to be boarding Harmony this weekend, really looking forward to him seeing the ship for the first time. :D

• 2 weeks later...

We booked a suite through NextCruise Mid-March, 2017, paid $250 deposit per passenger. The confirmation we received says deposit is refundable until final payment is due, nothing about change fee or nonrefundable if we cancel. It looks as though the new policy and our booking were pretty close to one another. Has anyone else had a similar experience with the timing of the new policy and having received documents in the room without any mention of the new policy and tried to change/cancel? If so, what happened, please? Any thoughts about how to find out if NCI will try to impose new policy if we change/cancel? Thanks!!

We booked a suite through NextCruise Mid-March, 2017, paid $250 deposit per passenger. The confirmation we received says deposit is refundable until final payment is due, nothing about change fee or nonrefundable if we cancel. It looks as though the new policy and our booking were pretty close to one another. Has anyone else had a similar experience with the timing of the new policy and having received documents in the room without any mention of the new policy and tried to change/cancel? If so, what happened, please? Any thoughts about how to find out if NCI will try to impose new policy if we change/cancel? Thanks!!

I can't say for certain with this latest change but when Royal has changed the terms on Next Cruise certificates in the past they have honoured the terms that you originally booked under.

OP did you take the instant OBC ? Or were you getting the OBC on your future cruise?

Molly this is kinda what happened to us.

We booked in August of 2016 for this upcoming August.

Now a couple things were different.

1. We had to sign a waiver last year that we were aware of a new policy going into effect about cancelling this cruise or down grading the cabin.

2. We were told we had to use the OBC on this sailing, and not able to put it on the new cruise we just booked---which in the past we put to next cruise.

So now it was our turn.

We asked if there were price reductions would we be penalized in any way shape or form by getting reductions in cost.

The representative said He did not know.

I go..........................find me someone that does know, as I casually made myself comfortable in my chair sitting there staring at him.

One phone call let to another, and I did not get an answer.

Wow.

So finally OBC we took, we had no option.

Kept the booking.

Yea He was more stubborn than I.

We now have gotten $2572 off our CL1 booking by watching prices.

I will not in the future leave an OBC for next cruise because I think they will mess with you. And find a way to penalize you by doing your own research and getting your own price reductions.

Safe travels.

Did you take instant OBC or future cruise credit?

This does seem to be the "pivotal" unanswered question. It's been asked twice now without a response from the OP?? :confused:

Well I think we can all guess the answer to the unanswered question and why the policy is now in place. Kind of ruins it for everyone who follows the rules