Concierge Lounge - I wish we could ban political discussions!

First off, if he threatened you with violence... report it. This applies to anyone, anywhere... if anyone ever threatens you then you need to report it. Something may or may not be done about it, but at least there will be a record of it.

Secondly, this IS a public space in legal terms. Yes, you paid to be there... but so did the other guest. Furthermore, it is a public space on private property so RCL could establish some guidelines (there are a lot of laws that could affect the guidelines) but you do not have a right to shut someone up.

Third, I doubt your story. I am not saying that you are lying about him threatening you or the conflict between his anti-environmental views and your pro-environmental views..... what I am suggesting is that you left out a portion of the story between you guys disagreeing and then him getting mad enough to threaten you. I don't know if there was a portion there.... but I strongly suspect it.

No, this is true. Not one bit of anger or button pushing from me. Before this happened we were happily singing "Lineman for the County."

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes, they have the right to do that. I also have the right to not like it and say so, either there or in a forum.

This is the part that so many people forget. While they're busy accusing people of getting too offended, they're forgetting how offended they seem to be themselves about other people being too offended.

As to the OP being Canadian and what do they care, I guess you have never heard Pierre Trudeau's comment that being Canada was like being a mouse sleeping with an elephant. Most Canadians of my acquaintance have a pretty good grasp and interest is US politics.

Yes, I think most of the world has an interest in US politics, and for good reason.

Republican, Democrat, Independent, Liberal, Conservative, Gay, Straight, African-American, Hispanic, Caucasian, African, Asian, European..... WHO CARES?

I welcome meeting new people in the CL and DL and enjoy joining them in conversation. The folks I reject are those who exclude others on the basis of their nationality, religion, race, creed or sexual orientation. The lounge offers a wonderful place to expand our horizons and learn that we are all children of the same God.

I was on Navigator B2B in December. No political discussions that I can remember in the CL, but did have some great late night conversations in the Connoisseur Club.

We prefer to talk about the ship and ports of call.

43 cruises and counting.

Republican, Democrat, Independent, Liberal, Conservative, Gay, Straight, African-American, Hispanic, Caucasian, African, Asian, European..... WHO CARES?

I welcome meeting new people in the CL and DL and enjoy joining them in conversation. The folks I reject are those who exclude others on the basis of their nationality, religion, race, creed or sexual orientation. The lounge offers a wonderful place to expand our horizons and learn that we are all children of the same God.

You left out the biggest bias of all-Crown and Anchor Society Tier level! Rampant on all RCI ships and these boards.

Back to the original OP complaint: Wasn't the OP breaking their own rule of discussing politics, (environmental or governmental), by in fact discussing same with someone in the lounge?

FWIW, I think there's something missing from this story as told so far.

Happy Cruising,

tnt10

First off, if he threatened you with violence... report it. This applies to anyone, anywhere... if anyone ever threatens you then you need to report it. Something may or may not be done about it, but at least there will be a record of it.

Secondly, this IS a public space in legal terms. Yes, you paid to be there... but so did the other guest. Furthermore, it is a public space on private property so RCL could establish some guidelines (there are a lot of laws that could affect the guidelines) but you do not have a right to shut someone up.

Third, I doubt your story. I am not saying that you are lying about him threatening you or the conflict between his anti-environmental views and your pro-environmental views..... what I am suggesting is that you left out a portion of the story between you guys disagreeing and then him getting mad enough to threaten you. I don't know if there was a portion there.... but I strongly suspect it.

I was thinking the same thing. Something about that account is...off. And OP said that they'd paid to be there as if everyone else just waltzed in for free. LOL!!!

Of course, we could be wrong. People CAN be weird sometimes and OP may have just run into a real nut!

I always try to avoid politics conservations with people. You never know who you will offend. I still remember last cruise people at the table asked who the President of Canada was lol

I think I had more political discussion with people on cruises in 2016 than any prior year, primarily with people from other countries. I now need to avoid them, not because of any offense given or taken by anyone, but because I was assuring them that a certain person could never become President. Oh, well.

President of Canada, lol :p The Canadian presidential elections would probably have gotten more attendance if all the dog sleds didn't clog up the road and the voting igloo hadn't melted.

And they scheduled the election the same day as the Brier Finals.:D

For our American cousins, that's the Canadian Men's Curling Championships. That IS Must See TV up here.

I am American myself, I didn't know what the Brier Finals were either... but I do watch curling at the Olympics and enjoy it. I am not sure it is a sport, exactly, since they had a very pregnant woman win a medal last time around..... but it is interesting, if slow. DVR makes it go faster :)

[/color]

I was thinking the same thing. Something about that account is...off. And OP said that they'd paid to be there as if everyone else just waltzed in for free. LOL!!!

Of course, we could be wrong. People CAN be weird sometimes and OP may have just run into a real nut!

Unfortunately you can meet nuts anywhere.

43 cruises and counting.

I think I had more political discussion with people on cruises in 2016 than any prior year, primarily with people from other countries. I now need to avoid them, not because of any offense given or taken by anyone, but because I was assuring them that a certain person could never become President. Oh, well.

You and a lot of other crystal ball seers that predicted that certain woman would be the first woman president. And this was right after the Brexit vote. lol

And they scheduled the election the same day as the Brier Finals.:D

For our American cousins, that's the Canadian Men's Curling Championships. That IS Must See TV up here.

More watched than the Canadians being knocked out by my beloved Rangers. :D

We had an excellent political discussion yesterday eve in the concierge lounge. Diverse opinions but always great to listen to other nationalities' point of views. It all depends on respect towards each other, and yes--all went quiet and disciplined.

Thats why I love cruising with passengers of different nations - it broadens your horizon.

We had a bad experience at dinner on one occasion. Upon hearing we were from Canada, a gentleman began to tell us that our health system was so bad that "everyone" travelled to US for decent care. Although both of us have had major health issues that were successfully dealt with in a timely way, we didn't want to get into an argument, so DH just said he thought our health system was good. The rest of the meal was spent listening to him explain forcefully why universal health care was bad. We left before dessert!

One of the things we enjoy about cruising is meeting and talking to different people, but sometimes opinionated people can spoil an evening. BTW, we are quite well informed about US politics - in many ways it affects our country.

We had a bad experience at dinner on one occasion. Upon hearing we were from Canada, a gentleman began to tell us that our health system was so bad that "everyone" travelled to US for decent care. Although both of us have had major health issues that were successfully dealt with in a timely way, we didn't want to get into an argument, so DH just said he thought our health system was good. The rest of the meal was spent listening to him explain forcefully why universal health care was bad. We left before dessert!

One of the things we enjoy about cruising is meeting and talking to different people, but sometimes opinionated people can spoil an evening. BTW, we are quite well informed about US politics - in many ways it affects our country.

We try not to get into politics in public as it is a very diverse subject and to be avoided.

We try to pick the brains of people who have been on or to a place or ship we are planning to do and we are happy to share advice we can give on the same subjects.

43 cruises and counting.