What's all this I Read about not able to get to Stirrup Cay?

caddykid12

shoukd be a way to make it easy to dock. a long pier like costa maya or Harvest caye.

really will be pissed in jan. if its cancelled

I was on the Jade in January & when we got off the ship in Costa Maya there was a Royal Carib ship pulling away. We thought that first thing in the morning was a weird departure time but later found out that the captain chose not to dock due to weather and sea conditions. NCL ships have skipped Harvest Caye for similar reasons.

The moral of this story - even if there is a dock, the port can be skipped. Don't hold your breath to get to GSC in January. When I went February 2016 on the Breakaway they told us we were the first ship to get there in months.

Been looking at Gem's shipcam much of the day as well as AIS data, as sometimes it's difficult to tell if they're anchored or not. We're lucky last week on the Gem and made it onto the private island - welcomed by 2 brief morning showers within a span of 20 minutes ... wind was calm & sea conditions almost perfect. We're missed it twice and one of our BIL/SIL twice missed GSC too.

Gem's satellite has improved but still slowish - hit & miss at times - difficult to do any sort of live update even for someone with an unlimited plan.

It looked like they sailed from Nassau around 8 PM last night, destination was GSC and got there this morning - but were unable to run their tenders, stay in that area for about 4 hours - maybe did a few figure 8 loops and then set sail again, headings northbound & speed up a little more, homeward bound with NYC as their next destination ... so next 2.5 days at sea, probably disappointing some onboard.

From the Roll Calls, folks were planning to snorkel, had the cabanas booked or simply liked to check out the vendors selling at the marketplace, etc. But, safety first - the captain's call against mother nature to drop anchor or continued onward.

When we sailed the Getaway last year we were the first to have stopped November 2015- the first week of Feb 2016 when we stopped - in all that sailing route - so they said.

We are supposed to stop on our next cruise in October, guess we will see!

shoukd be a way to make it easy to dock. a long pier like costa maya or Harvest caye.

really will be pissed in jan. if its cancelled

You know in advance that there is always a chance it could be cancelled. If you get angry, that's your own fault.

Ship Happens. Act accordingly.

Its a protected reef, and ecologically sensitive hence not being able to build a pier.

It will be interesting to see if that holds, as RCCL got the ok to build a pier on the island right next door. (Cocoa Cay)

• 11 months later...
It will be interesting to see if that holds, as RCCL got the ok to build a pier on the island right next door. (Cocoa Cay)

Despite being "right next door" the geography of the two islands, and in particular the location of the tender docks on each island, are completely different. The RCI pier will not be that long, in order to get to deep enough water (they can't dredge but can build a pier), and is in a different orientation to the prevailing wind, wave, and current. At NCL's island the pier would need to be 3-400 feet long, just to get to deep water, and then a t-pier on the end to dock to.

I just got back from GSC in April and we had a good time. There are many ports with and without docks where bad weather can keep you from going ashore. We had to skip Kona Hawaii last time I went due to rough water.

Many of my friends have had to skip Costa Maya, Harvest Cay, Roatan, Caymans, Belize City and several other ports due to bad weather.