Question regarding gift from TA

Cruiser1862

The first time I used the TA she gave some OBC from her agency. She told us about this when we booked. This time we booked a 14 day cruise months ago and still nothing has been said nor is there anything on our personalizer. I know some people get a specialty restaurant gift. Can you recommend a way to ask if something is forthcoming? I'm uncomfortable and don't know how to word it. Also, what gifts have you received?

Edited by Cruiser1862

The first time I used the TA she gave some OBC from her agency. She told us about this when we booked. This time we booked a 14 day cruise months ago and still nothing has been said nor is there anything on our personalizer. Can you recommend a way to ask if something is forthcoming? I'm uncomfortable and don't know how to word it. Thanks

If the TA does not have group space/promos on that particular cruise then there is probably no OBC.

Just ask if the agency provides any OBC for your cruise. Nothing wrong with that.

I would have thought any gift, whether OBC, wine, specialty dinner, etc., would show up on the confirmation from the TA. That's what happens with my TA. Sometimes the TA OBC doesn't show up on the Princess Cruise Personalizer in advance, but is there when you get on board.

Don't be shy, just come out and ask if there are any "extras" from the TA.

I typically get OBC that shows up on our personalizer, which is from our TA. She usually advises of this. We then often get some sort of an onboard gift from our TA, like a bottle of wine or a specialty restaurant meal. On our last cruise, she gifted us each a massage, which was wonderful! I would not ask her about the gifts (but do thank her), but do ask if she is offering any OBC at booking.

We always get some OBC from our TA, but the TA gift never appears in the personalizer. It always shows up in our on board account by day 2, and usually on the first day. It always works this way for us, so not seeing it in the personalizer doesn't necessarily mean you will not get an OBC gift.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

I'm glad I asked. I'll have to email her tomorrow and just ask. I know there should be something, especially for a 14 day cruise but I just hate having to ask. I will let you all know what my gift is!

Just because it's a longer cruise doesn't mean there is OBC.

I thought we would get some on a couple of longer cruises but that's not always the case.

We have always used the same TA. Just reached the golden ticket of being elite. We always get OBC of some amount and sometimes if there is more from the company, are given that as well. We've had specialty dinning, free wine tastings, a bottle of wine, and strawberries sent to our room. Always a goodie or two to keep us coming back. . .

I always ask the multiple TA's I use both real and online ones for prices and perks of any cruise I am planning. The best price and perks get my business, never buy a cruise without KNOWING what you will or won't be getting as for as gifts and OBC is concerned.

Offering of OBC from the TA's comm. is part of the Sales Process.

If they know that you will book with them without the offer , why would they offer it?

Since Princess lets TA's discount their rates "upfront" . the TA may give you that discounted rate instead of an OBC.

Well, I got my answer. She stated that there were no incentives at the time of my booking. I then replied and said I know our friends, using a different TA got either OBC or gift to speciality restaurants. She never replied.

I am hoping there is something forthcoming when we board. If not, I will be letting her know our disappointment and would not use her again. She really is very nice, always answering me asap on any issues.

BTW, the price is not any less because we booked through her. I found the cruise and called her. No price difference.

Right now it's $400PP more without the OBC and gratuities special I had booked with.

Thank you for your replies.

Well, I got my answer. She stated that there were no incentives at the time of my booking. I then replied and said I know our friends, using a different TA got either OBC or gift to speciality restaurants. She never replied.

I am hoping there is something forthcoming when we board. If not, I will be letting her know our disappointment and would not use her again. She really is very nice, always answering me asap on any issues.

BTW, the price is not any less because we booked through her. I found the cruise and called her. No price difference.

Right now it's $400PP more without the OBC and gratuities special I had booked with.

Thank you for your replies.

There could be a few things going on here. Not every agency can have group space every sailing. So some weeks certain agencies have it and other weeks, other agencies have it. It is possible your agent doesn't have group space on your sailing but your friends agent did that week. If you had chosen a different week, it may have been the reverse situation. Also, cruise agents most likely will have more group space as they are actively going to try to get as much as they can vs an agency down the street who also deals with Disney vacations and Hawaii resorts.

Our TA told us of all the "perks" we were getting from them or from Princess when we paid the deposit.
I ask BEFORE I give my business to a TA. No sense wondering.

I have to agree here. Our TA provides us with any perks/OBC/discounts at the time we get our initial quote. And he's very good about listing everything on the invoices when we make our booking. I'd feel pretty uncomfortable asking for something after the fact.

~Brian

You can't really blame the agent for not providing you with anything for your cruise. She is tied to her agency's perks/OBC/discounts that they have with the cruiseline. Agencies select sailings they want to promote with "gifts" and this particular cruise may be one they didn't want to promote. There are all sorts of reasons why agencies choose the sailings they do. She isn't holding anything back from you intentionally.

Depending on when you are sailing, watch the prices. If they come down you can ask her to have your booking re-fared. Again, she may not be able to do this due to restrictions the cruiseline puts on the booking. I know it's not a "gift" but it is something.

I am surprised that people expect some form of gift from their TA. I am even more surprised that people talk of leaving a TA if they don't get one. How can you expect to build up a rapport with a TA if you change them so easily. Build a rapport and then see what they will do for you. Mine does a brilliant job for us, we stay loyal and then get the benefits later.

The time to get your best deal from a TA is before you book .

Let them think that you are a shopper , (even if you are not ) , especially when booking a cruise line that permits TA discounting , like Princess .

OP's TA took advantage of a repeat client , who hopefully won't repeat

with this agency again .

Sent from my iPad using Forums