Princess Cancellation Policy questions

captket

I underwent emergency surgery last week and will have another surgery planned a few weeks before our cruise therefore we had to cancel our Alaska cruise on May 31st. Of course, we had failed to get the trip insurance. Has anyone have any advice on how to recoup some of our lost payment?

We had to disembark in the middle of a cruise this past winter under similar circumstances. We also did not purchase the trip insurance. When we got home we discovered that the charge card we used to pay for the cruise provided for trip cancellation insurance and trip interruption insurance. We were able to collect the full amount (half of the fare - 20 day cruise that we got off after 10 days). We did have a document from the ship's doctor saying we should disembark for medical treatment. Our card is a Visa card and from a large box store that charges membership fees. I believe other cards may also be providing this coverage. Worth a check!

Best wishes on your surgery!

Mike

Yes, check out your credit card. (I think your entire fare would have to go that single card.) Aside from that you could throw yourself on Princess' mercy, or if you have a TA ask them to intercede. But, you know, Princess makes a lot of money on insurance policies and situations like yours are why people buy them. Aside from gaining goodwill by showing mercy, Princess has no reason to repay even part of your fare, even in future cruise credits.

Good luck.

Have you officially cancelled with Princess or your TA? That's important. Waiting a single extra day can mean the difference between a 50% or 75% or 90% cancellation penalty. I hope you are soon on the mend.

+1. Right now you are in the 50% cancellation refund period but if you get to 29 days prior to sailing you would only get 25% back from Princess. Officially cancel with Princess, then find out if you are able to get a refund of the rest from your credit card company. Hopefully it is one that includes travel insurance. Best of luck with this and with your surgery.

Doesn't Princess allow name changes on the reservation without penalty even after final payment? Correct me if I'm wrong.

If that's the case, ask if your family or friends and see if they are in for a cruise vacation and do a name change. You can work out the money issue on your own.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Doesn't Princess allow name changes on the reservation without penalty even after final payment? Correct me if I'm wrong.

One original passenger must remain on the booking or it is considered a cancellation there is a fee of $50 for a name change after final payment (I was once successful in getting this waived, but it was just three days after final payment and my husband had been deployed in the military).

This is a prime reason to buy insurance. :)

You are "right on" when you state the importance of buying cruise insurance. We are avid cruisers living in South Florida and have seen lots of instances where having insurance would have saved the individual involved tons of $$$$$$. Forget the fact of being protected if you have to cancel your cruise (that becomes a minimal cost) in comparison to being aboard a ship and suffering a major illness which requires for you to be medi-vac by helicopter to the nearest port. Trust me ! I've observed this scenario twice while cruising in the Caribbean. Do you realize what the cost of this ride is ??? (Between $25,000 and $40,000) depending on the travel distance. We do not book a cruise without buying insurance ! The cost is minimal in comparison to the outcome of any unforeseen event during a cruise vacation. It's a no brainer !!!!!

Thanks to everyone for the advice and comments. You are exactly right in saying that is a hard expensive lesson to learn about insurance. Not that we will ever do Princess again.

We did manage to get the 50%

I did check with our credit card and it looks like we can recoup through them, we do have to wait to get an MD's note after my second surgery.

I really appreciate all your help!

Thanks to everyone for the advice and comments. You are exactly right in saying that is a hard expensive lesson to learn about insurance. Not that we will ever do Princess again.

I did check with our credit card and it looks like we can recoup through them, we do have to wait to get an MD's note after my second surgery.

Glad you received something back.

Good luck with your surgery. :)

Glad you had some luck getting your money back and hope you mend quickly.

BTW ... just curious why you say you wouldn't do Princess again?? I understand if you choose not to answer.

Princess' cancellation policy is just about the same on all cruise lines....

Not really. While all cruise lines seem to have draconian cancellation policies, Princess' falls into one of the better categories.

I was considering a Ponant cruise... until I found out their 'cancellation policy' starts with the 25% non-refundable deposit. I couldn't get insurance and didn't book the cruise.