Will Royal Caribbean ever put a ship in Charleston?

RCI has port stops in Charleston and Celebrity has had the Mercury based there in the past. Carnival seems to have no problem filling the Ecstasy from there. Those of us in the mid south would probably have no problem filling a RCI ship. There is a big beautiful harbor there but I am not sure of the depth, etc. There would probably need to be some terminal upgrades or a new terminal depending on schedules. It seems to me that Charleston is really not interested in the cruise industry but it would be great for us if our favorite line would offer cruises from there, even on one of the smaller ships. Any thoughts?

There has been an ongoing fight over this for the past 3 or 4 years with environmental groups over the building of a new terminal to handle more cruise ships than just Carnival. See newspaper link below.

http://www.postandcourier.com/business/charleston-cruise-ship-terminal-fight-back-on-appeals-court-docket/article_0f8c0ff2-d775-11e6-a915-43c43014b68c.html

There has been an ongoing fight over this for the past 3 or 4 years with environmental groups over the building of a new terminal to handle more cruise ships than just Carnival. See newspaper link below.

http://www.postandcourier.com/business/charleston-cruise-ship-terminal-fight-back-on-appeals-court-docket/article_0f8c0ff2-d775-11e6-a915-43c43014b68c.html

I had seen some earlier articles on this but not that one. It is a very small but vocal group of "environmentalists" that are blocking the issue. If you read their propaganda, they are not opposing on environmental issues at all, they just think it is too close to the historic district and will cause "too much traffic". The traffic complaint is one we hear a lot around here when the busy-bodies don't like something. We actually had one here who tried to block Goodwill industries from opening a center because it would create "too much traffic". It seems that most of the residents either want a new terminal or don't care on way or the other. That small group is upset that someone else may have a good time and that someone might (gasp!!) make money. Hopefully some sanity will prevail.

Without having read ANYTHING on the subject, I have a couple of questions.

What would be the upside? There aren't any ports of call that could be serviced from there that aren't already being serviced?

Is another ship "needed" on the east coast? If not, I don't see how it could make a material difference in RCI revenue or profits to relocate a ship there from another east coast port.

I would be over the moon! We live 20 minutes from the Charleston port so have done cruises on Carnival as well as in the past when Celebrity and Norwegian had a ship here seasonally. The Carnival and NCL cruises were based purely on convenience. It would be fantastic for Royal to home port a ship here.

It would be awesome to have more options out of Charleston. Went on Carnival Fantasy a couple years ago and the ship was too old for me, personally. I'm sailing with some friends in November on the Carnival Sunshine. The price was a little more than I wanted to pay but since I can drive to the port, it's comparable to other cruises.

We would love it also and hope Carnival is successful in getting the new terminal. The residents of Charleston historic district are not happy about it and fly flags on their houses with the Carnival whale tail with a big X through it. SO you know how they feel. The port area is full of ugly tankers that billow smoke etc but that seems to be fine and no complaints about that. Just the cruise ship.:mad:

There are a lot of people living in Charleston, including many businesses, that are opposed to having a cruise ship based in their city. They are afraid it would destroy the historical, old world charm.

If you have spent much time there, you will see what they are talking about. Tourism there is not a problem, they have

plenty of tourists year round and the traffic that goes with it.

Without having read ANYTHING on the subject, I have a couple of questions.

What would be the upside? There aren't any ports of call that could be serviced from there that aren't already being serviced?

Is another ship "needed" on the east coast? If not, I don't see how it could make a material difference in RCI revenue or profits to relocate a ship there from another east coast port.

It is the same reason that people in Texas want ships in Galveston, people in AL want ships in Mobile, and people in LA want ships is New Orleans. There are no ports that are serviced from there that were not already being serviced before there were cruise ships located there either. As far as a "need" for ships, new cruise ships are being built right now so apparently the cruise lines feel there is a demand for more. The up side is reduced travel cost. It costs us as much to fly as cruise fare sometimes. If it is an easy drive we can go more often. People in the Houston area and in Florida (as well as other areas nearer a home port) have this advantage but we are half way between the northeast and FL ports. Port Canaveral is a 9-10 hour drive and Miami is closer to 13. A lot of people in southern VA, the Carolinas, TN, GA, AL, and even WV & KY would see an upside in being able to drive in for a short cruise.

There are a lot of people living in Charleston, including many businesses, that are opposed to having a cruise ship based in their city. They are afraid it would destroy the historical, old world charm.

If you have spent much time there, you will see what they are talking about. Tourism there is not a problem, they have

plenty of tourists year round and the traffic that goes with it.

We used to live on the SC coast just north of Charleston, so we have spent a lot of time there. We also know quite a few people who live there still. The opposition is coming from a small minority. Charleston is nice, no doubt but there has been a naval base and huge commercial port there for years. Hundreds of container ships go in & out of there. Another cruise ship or two is not going to ruin the city.

Let's face it every town on the ocean would love to have their own personal home port to embark from.

J.

True dat. But, not every town on the ocean has a harbor or suitable location for a port terminal. Charleston does and has had a large commercial port operation for years. They also have a 1970's era cruise terminal that can be upgraded like Port Canaveral has done to handle another ship or two. NCL was there for a while and Carnival is doing well there. Come on guys, give us a little love here. :)

We would love it also and hope Carnival is successful in getting the new terminal. The residents of Charleston historic district are not happy about it and fly flags on their houses with the Carnival whale tail with a big X through it. SO you know how they feel. The port area is full of ugly tankers that billow smoke etc but that seems to be fine and no complaints about that. Just the cruise ship.:mad:

Gamecocks rule. I am NC State class of '78 but have been to Brice many times with my business partner. Great game day. One family we know down in Charleston cruises and they want a new terminal even if it just means new Carnival ships. A lot of other folks we know don't cruise and don't care. They do understand the tax revenue angle though. As far as the container ships, no one is having fun on them so they are okay. :D

Yes please. Longer cruises out of Charleston. For those of us in NC it would be so much more convenient and save flights or long drives to Florida. We've done shorter Carnival trips to Bahamas, but something longer to the Caribbean would be nice.

It would be awesome to have more options out of Charleston. Went on Carnival Fantasy a couple years ago and the ship was too old for me, personally. I'm sailing with some friends in November on the Carnival Sunshine. The price was a little more than I wanted to pay but since I can drive to the port, it's comparable to other cruises.
We have done both the Fantasy (many years ago) and the Sunshine in May of 2016. Both ships are just plain bad. We have chosen not to ever cruise on Carnival. For us it doesn't offer what we like.

We live two hours from Charleston and would love for RCI to cruise out of Charleston. It would be wonderful.

We used to live on the SC coast just north of Charleston, so we have spent a lot of time there. We also know quite a few people who live there still. The opposition is coming from a small minority. Charleston is nice, no doubt but there has been a naval base and huge commercial port there for years. Hundreds of container ships go in & out of there. Another cruise ship or two is not going to ruin the city.

Are you sure? And what does a container ship have to do with thousands of tourists coming in to board a cruise

ship??!! :rolleyes:

BTW: My Dad lives in Charleston.

We would love to have RCI sail out of Charleston. We are about an hour and a half from Charleston and DD, SIL and Grandkids live there.

I remember that the Queen Mary II docked there once so the port can handle a large ship.

I would cruise more, that is for sure, 2 hour drive for me! I too have cruised on Carnival just because of the proximity. last May the Sunshine sailed from Charleston and we took that cruise, larger than the ecstasy, though we did sail Fantasy from Charleston as well. SC is not far from Bermuda, I wish they would do more to that port from Charleston instead of the occasional cruise. I love Bermuda, but hate flying up to the NE to sail back down!