Will Royal Caribbean ever put a ship in Charleston?

Are you sure? And what does a container ship have to do with thousands of tourists coming in to board a cruise

ship??!! :rolleyes:

BTW: My Dad lives in Charleston.

I think they mean the port should be able to handle large ships if they handle all container ships though the terminal area may be different. The tourists would bring their money to the city.....more jobs would be created, etc. Have there been negative affects from the tourists so far?? Carnival has been sailing from Charleston for a few years and has also brought in larger ships on occasion. I am sure there are some traffic/congestion issues at times, but that is everywhere these days! Have to look at the overall benefits vs the inconveniences I guess.

Charleston has plenty of tourists who spend plenty of money there. Check historic area hotels rates.

I can understand that they may not feel the need to jam up their streets and become a parking lot for cruisers who want to cruse out of there just so they don't have to travel.

I cruised out of there years ago on NCL's Majesty. It was a early start day trip from Atlanta and Charleston got a breakfast and parking out of us. It worked out great for us. I don't see the advantage for Charleston.

Are you sure? And what does a container ship have to do with thousands of tourists coming in to board a cruise

ship??!! :rolleyes:

BTW: My Dad lives in Charleston.

So I assume you are on a committee to oppose more and larger cruise ships in Port Canaveral then.

There are a lot of people living in Charleston, including many businesses, that are opposed to having a cruise ship based in their city. They are afraid it would destroy the historical, old world charm.

If you have spent much time there, you will see what they are talking about. Tourism there is not a problem, they have

plenty of tourists year round and the traffic that goes with it.

If there are plenty of tourists and traffic there already, what will be the difference of some more?

It is the same reason that people in Texas want ships in Galveston, people in AL want ships in Mobile, and people in LA want ships is New Orleans. There are no ports that are serviced from there that were not already being serviced before there were cruise ships located there either. As far as a "need" for ships, new cruise ships are being built right now so apparently the cruise lines feel there is a demand for more. The up side is reduced travel cost. It costs us as much to fly as cruise fare sometimes. If it is an easy drive we can go more often. People in the Houston area and in Florida (as well as other areas nearer a home port) have this advantage but we are half way between the northeast and FL ports. Port Canaveral is a 9-10 hour drive and Miami is closer to 13. A lot of people in southern VA, the Carolinas, TN, GA, AL, and even WV & KY would see an upside in being able to drive in for a short cruise.

I think what they were referring to is what is the upside for RCCL? Will they look at it and say it's more cost advantageous to put their cruise ships elsewhere? It's the same reasoning they use for not having a ship on the West Coast (which I think they would do before Charleston, if I had to guess)

Those in opposition to Charleston's cruise industry are going to be on the losing side and rightfully so. Most are northerners who moved down here and feel that cruise ships block the view of the harbor and impact the southern charm of the city. By and large, they are idiots. Charleston is a top tourist destination (ranked #1 last year by Conde Nast) and will continue to be so.

There are a lot of people living in Charleston, including many businesses, that are opposed to having a cruise ship based in their city. They are afraid it would destroy the historical, old world charm.

If you have spent much time there, you will see what they are talking about. Tourism there is not a problem, they have

plenty of tourists year round and the traffic that goes with it.

Agree with you completely.

I know that many people would "love" to have Royal sail out of Charleston...but mostly for the selfish reason of it being closer or easier to get to. Or those that live within a couple hours from there. Heck, wouldn't we all love that kind of convenience? The fact of the matter is, it would DRASTICALLY change the charm of Charleston. To be quite honest, I think that it would drive some tour traffic AWAY if there was more cruises sailing from that port, especially any ship with a larger passenger capacity.

I lived in Central Florida for over 27 years and never took advantage of cruises being so close. Matter of fact, my first cruise wasn't until AFTER I moved away from Florida. I can tell you that many of my east coast friends who live near Canaveral do everything they can to avoid that area when ships are there.

While in the Air Force I was stationed in Charleston at the Air Force Base for 8 years. I really don't think a ship would take away from the charm of the city. I really don't think people will be in the pier area and be thinking..... this city would be beautiful if wasn't for that cruise ship over there. Granted there would be increased traffic on cruise day but it's one day that the ship would be there being that they come in and turn back around on the same day. With that said, I do think however a good place for the cruise terminal for cruise ships would be further down the harbor where the old Naval Ship Yard use to be. That would be perfect.

As far as people being selfish, I don't think that is selfish. Why is it selfish to love to have a cruise terminal within 2 to 3 hours of where you live, so that you can drive rather than spending hundreds of extra dollars on flights??? I live 3 to 3 and a half hours from Charleston but have no desire to sail from there on the old ship Carnival has there and the itinerary of Grand Bahamas Island and Nassau does not interest me. Is it selfish of the people of the west coast wanting a ship back in L.A or people in the deep south wanting a ship back in N.O.? No I don't think so!

Cruises on Carnival out of Charleston are a much higher cost than the Florida ports and that is on an old ship going to lousy ports. If RCCL put a ship there, even the oldest one is better than a Fantasy class, they would also get a much higher fare than from the Florida ports.

Since cruise lines like to make money Charleston would seem to be a good place to put your older ships. Instead of getting $219 for a Majesty cruise from PC why not get $419 by porting in Charleston?

Either because Charleston won't let you or the cost of leaving a ship there is much more expensive than using a Florida port. We already know Charleston won't let them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

While in the Air Force I was stationed in Charleston at the Air Force Base for 8 years. I really don't think a ship would take away from the charm of the city. I really don't think people will be in the pier area and be thinking..... this city would be beautiful if wasn't for that cruise ship over there. Granted there would be increased traffic on cruise day but it's one day that the ship would be there being that they come in and turn back around on the same day. With that said, I do think however a good place for the cruise terminal for cruise ships would be further down the harbor where the old Naval Ship Yard use to be. That would be perfect.

As far as people being selfish, I don't think that is selfish. Why is it selfish to love to have a cruise terminal within 2 to 3 hours of where you live, so that you can drive rather than spending hundreds of extra dollars on flights??? I live 3 to 3 and a half hours from Charleston but have no desire to sail from there on the old ship Carnival has there and the itinerary of Grand Bahamas Island and Nassau does not interest me. Is it selfish of the people of the west coast wanting a ship back in L.A or people in the deep south wanting a ship back in N.O.? No I don't think so!

Well put. The city and the tourism board are pushing for port enhancements. It is being blocked by a group of activists t the moment but it will probably happen. The current tourism plan limits ship size to 3500 passengers or less and only one ship in port at a time. This is mostly due to a concern for parking but they are working on parking expansion including remote parking. Moving the port would solve a number of concerns including the proximity to old town but I am not sure what the possibility of that would be. I am a little taken aback by the reference to being "selfish" by some folks. When someone in TX, LA, AL, or CA says they would like to see a newer or bigger ship or have another ship, I am thinking "I hope that happens for you". I completely understand the desire. It seems like the attitude "if it does not benefit me personally then nobody needs it" is in play from some folks. I have never understood that.

One point to ponder is that the Ecstasy sails a 4-5 day rotation instead of the 3-4 that the other Bahamas cruises favor. This may be to limit the activity on Friday, but not sure. That aside, a 3-4 day itinerary on one of RCI's smaller ships would meet the restrictions. Bermuda would be an excellent destination from Charleston as well. All of this is nebulous unless RCI decides to take an interest. I think that if they did so, they could help push the ball forward for better facilities. Look at what they did at Port Canaveral and at Falmouth.

Agree with you completely.

I know that many people would "love" to have Royal sail out of Charleston...but mostly for the selfish reason of it being closer or easier to get to. Or those that live within a couple hours from there. Heck, wouldn't we all love that kind of convenience? The fact of the matter is, it would DRASTICALLY change the charm of Charleston. To be quite honest, I think that it would drive some tour traffic AWAY if there was more cruises sailing from that port, especially any ship with a larger passenger capacity.

I lived in Central Florida for over 27 years and never took advantage of cruises being so close. Matter of fact, my first cruise wasn't until AFTER I moved away from Florida. I can tell you that many of my east coast friends who live near Canaveral do everything they can to avoid that area when ships are there.

Very well put, thank you. :)

Though as in the Port Canaveral situation, I am not sure of any locals staying away from the port. Coming down to watch the cruise ships depart out of Port Canaveral from Jetty Park and the many restaurants and bars along the waterfront is a big draw for many of my neighbors. We have done it many times.

What some don't realize is that the difference between Port Canaveral and Charleston...is glaringly obvious. Port Canaveral is a cruise port, set up specifically for cruise ships, freighters, shipping industry, sport fishing, commercial fishing ..etc. There is no city right at the docks, no horse drawn carriages, and no walking tours around the historical area.

Very well put, thank you. :)

Though as in the Port Canaveral situation, I am not sure of any locals staying away from the port. Coming down to watch the cruise ships depart out of Port Canaveral from Jetty Park and the many restaurants and bars along the waterfront is a big draw for many of my neighbors. We have done it many times.

What some don't realize is that the difference between Port Canaveral and Charleston...is glaringly obvious. Port Canaveral is a cruise port, set up specifically for cruise ships, freighters, shipping industry, sport fishing, commercial fishing ..etc. There is no city right at the docks, no horse drawn carriages, and no walking tours around the historical area.

Ah, so thefollowing port cities would be unaffected or even enhanced withnewer, additional, or larger cruise ships:

Thefollowing port cities would be adversely affected (traffic wouldgrind to a halt, the esoteric charm would be destroyed, and theresidents' quality of life would be ruined) by newer, additional, or larger cruise ships:

Makes perfect sense when you put it that way. :D

Ah, so thefollowing port cities would be unaffected or even enhanced withnewer, additional, or larger cruise ships:

Thefollowing port cities would be adversely affected (traffic wouldgrind to a halt, the esoteric charm would be destroyed, and theresidents' quality of life would be ruined) by newer, additional, or larger cruise ships:

Makes perfect sense when you put it that way. :D

Kind of hard to compare ANY of those above cities with Charleston.

Funny about the mention of the beautiful historic district and horse drawn carriages. I'm sure many of these same residents are the ones lobbying for shutting down the horse drawn carriages. Not much is more authentic than traveling through the town in the same transportation of yesteryear. But they are too slow, make too much of a mess, and block traffic. So here's to the tourism loving residents of Charleston or lack there of.

Funny about the mention of the beautiful historic district and horse drawn carriages. I'm sure many of these same residents are the ones lobbying for shutting down the horse drawn carriages. Not much is more authentic than traveling through the town in the same transportation of yesteryear. But they are too slow, make too much of a mess, and block traffic. So here's to the tourism loving residents of Charleston or lack there of.

Actually, there was an initiative several years ago to limit the carriages that led to regulations and restrictions on them. Generally speaking, businesses love tourists and residents do not. Charleston is not unique there. I think it is fair to say that most cities do not have many non residents so concerned about the number of tourists though

LOL!! Ya think??!! :eek:

I also think it is rather amusing when out of state people think they just know it all about what the residents of a

city they don't live in would want. ;)

LOL!!

I also think it is rather amusing when out of state people think they just know it all about what the residents of a

city they don't live in would want. ;)

Huh? You live there now? Look, no hard feelings, just a healthy debate. Glad to amuse you though. I don't think what either of us believes is going to make a difference but it fills the time until next cruise.

Huh? You live there now? Look, no hard feelings, just a healthy debate. Glad to amuse you though. I don't think what either of us believes is going to make a difference but it fills the time until next cruise.

No, I live near Port Canaveral. My Dad lives in Charleston. This was obvious from the area I live in posted above, and I had already mentioned my Dad living in Charleston.

My Dad and myself seem to know a little about our home towns and how the locals feel, since we have lived in them for over 20 years.

I agree. As much as I would like a Royal Caribbean ship out of Charleston, the location of the cruise port in Charleston is causing the problems. The streets are narrow, there are many tourists already and the people complaining the most paid millions for homes that face the harbor. If the port authority would relent and build the new terminal closer to the container port many of the complaints would probably stop.

I don't think anyone in this conversation lives within blocks of a cruise terminal and all the congestion it creates. I agree with some folks lambasting the locals about their attacks on the carriages and tour vans, they were there when they bought their multi million dollar home, the ships weren't. I live in a tourist area and I know what it is like to have many more visitors than the area can accommodate.

Edited by temple1

Nothing against Charleston (or Savanna) , but I'm hoping for more cruises from Norfolk Virginia .

What does Norfolk possibly know about traffic caused by having multiple ships in port that carry upwards of 4-5k people? [emoji6]

What does Norfolk possibly know about traffic caused by having multiple ships in port that carry upwards of 4-5k people? [emoji6]

Multiple ? I'll be happy with one at a time . :p

Norfolk / Virginia Beach are good sized cities . Certainly bigger then Charleston .

Why can't they handle the traffic if Charleston can?