Bad news about booking on board and OBC

cocoaloco

Two more reasons why Carnival should eliminate FCC onboard - 1) Some people have absolute no clue what they want and ask FCC all kinds of dumb questions they can easily find out on their own. (2) Some people cannot stop telling FCC their lifetime cruise stories when there is a long line of passengers standing behind waiting to be served.

I liked having the On Board Booking person. Loved gettin' the free money from OBC and if ya time it right there is no line.

But all that is gone, I left a Carnival ship this a.m. and the (soon to be gone) future cruise person was there at the exit to wish us safe travels. What a nice person Carla is....:cool:

not always

If the price goes down, you will have to notify your TA first who then contacts Carnival for the price reductions

since you have to contact your TA, you are at the mercy of the TA being always available. You might lose a price drop if the TA does not respond quickly enough

Also some TAs charge to do price drops because it cuts into their profit.

You're correct that if you buy one $250 FCC, you get $100 OBC on that cruise so it's only costing you $150 for the FCC. However, if you buy 2, 3 or 4 than your net cost for each $250 FCC is only $125.

Not sure I quite follow you. When I was on the Epic in 2013 (and the program may have changed since then) I bought 2 FCCs which I used on my 2015 Alaska cruise (NB & SB so one each direction). I paid $250 each and got $100 each OBC on the Epic resulting in $300 total paid. Still a good deal but not sure where the extra $25 you quoted is coming from?? :confused:

If your TA is closed or away, you can't talk to Carnival such as for price drops, room changes, etc. You also can't make payments online or changes to your reservation without going through them.

TAs are a middleman and I prefer to deal directly with the service provider whether it be airlines, hotels, or cruises. I did use a TA for Carnival before and it was total chaos which almost cost me around $400 so I always use my PVP now. If for some reason he's not available I can call the 800 number 24/7.

The only exception is my upcoming Celebrity Edge cruise. I booked direct through Celebrity first and found a TA that does a huge amount of business with them and enjoyed the video walk throughs he did of the ship I found online. He was able to get me a deal that Celebrity couldn't touch. It was my intention to stay with the cruise line, but I couldn't pass up the deal he offered.

I'm not so worried about price drops with that cruise as he had a couple contracts with them from opening day and I was able to lock into those rates with additional OBC from him and even more from Celebrity than they were originally offering. Prices have done nothing but go up. I don't like the fact that I can't see my rates online (he did send me the invoices) or make a payment if I wanted to, but when you consider the hundreds of dollars he saved me as well as the free upgrade from OV to balcony, that was a no brainer. So for my Celebrity cruises, I may stick with this TA. We'll see how it works out. So far, so good.

It's all about service to me. My PVP at Carnival is the best and I call him all the time. He has fixed things that Carnival messed up with one call on multiple occasions. So as far as Carnival goes, it's PVP only. I'm not interested in upgrades on Carnival, I actually prefer 4A cabins so all that is irrelevant. And I do like maintaining control of my booking as in all aspects. The $50 the former TA gave me was not worth the headache at all.

You can't even link reservations with your PVP if you don't book directly with Carnival. You lose a lot of control waiting for a TA to do the job whereas my PVP is available damn near 24/7. She even stopped eating dinner one Saturday evening to book a cruise for me and my travel buddies. My PVP is awesome!

You can't even link reservations with your PVP if you don't book directly with Carnival. You lose a lot of control waiting for a TA to do the job whereas my PVP is available damn near 24/7. She even stopped eating dinner one Saturday evening to book a cruise for me and my travel buddies. My PVP is awesome!

I've caught mine on New Years Eve and while doing lawn work on a Sunday. I wouldn't trade him for anything. Oh and he was going to link my dinner with someone who used a TA, but they had Your Time Dining and I had Early so he couldn't. But I agree, for Carnival I won't book it any other way. He's the best.

I've caught mine on New Years Eve and while doing lawn work on a Sunday. I wouldn't trade him for anything. Oh and he was going to link my dinner with someone who used a TA, but they had Your Time Dining and I had Early so he couldn't. But I agree, for Carnival I won't book it any other way. He's the best.

Nope. Mine is better. :p

Edit to add: My PVP at my request (I'm so sorry I did this to her) helped my son and his two friends book a cruise. It took 4 days before my son and his friends could agree on anything and while my PVP was perfectly happy chacking every other cruise available in the entire US, it drove me batty.

Nope. Mine is better. :p

Edit to add: My PVP at my request (I'm so sorry I did this to her) helped my son and his two friends book a cruise. It took 4 days before my son and his friends could agree on anything and while my PVP was perfectly happy chacking every other cruise available in the entire US, it drove me batty.

No mine is better! LOL! I've had some friends drag their feet too. Luckily he's a patient man. Meanwhile, I was wondering if they would ever decide what they were doing so I totally understand what you mean! :D

How does booking with a TA cause you to relinquish control? The only difference between booking with a TA or through carnival is the number to call. You're always in control.

The others beat me to responding.

I like to do things myself on my time schedule, and as I wrote above, I think it's fun. Why pay someone else to do what I enjoy? I don't even have a PVP. I find doing it myself relaxing, so when I call Carnival, I just talk to whoever answers and verify they do what I ask.

Edited by VASOXFANN

Not sure I quite follow you. When I was on the Epic in 2013 (and the program may have changed since then) I bought 2 FCCs which I used on my 2015 Alaska cruise (NB & SB so one each direction). I paid $250 each and got $100 each OBC on the Epic resulting in $300 total paid. Still a good deal but not sure where the extra $25 you quoted is coming from?? :confused:

You are out of date, the program changed in 2015, where if you buy 2 or more, the credit if $125 per $250 Cruise Next Certificate. It's still a $100 credit if you just buy 1.

I like to do things myself on my time schedule, and as I wrote above, I think it's fun. Why pay someone else to do what I enjoy? I don't even have a PVP. I find doing it myself relaxing, so when I call Carnival, I just talk to whoever answers and verify they do what I ask.

I'm the same way except it's much more relaxing to call my PVP because I'm talking to a friend vs someone who may not know what they're doing on the other end. Yes, it truly is a crap shoot when calling the 800 number. I have gotten some really good ones, some OK ones, and some that I was amazed they knew how to turn on a computer. One lady insisted I didn't need to pay any additional deposit when getting a price drop even though the new rate didn't have a reduced deposit. I knew I did but she kept telling me no. Good thing I went back into my reservation after we hung up and paid the rest that was due that day or it would have been canceled! If you've never had a bad experience with a CSR than consider yourself lucky. But they are there and oftentimes armed with incorrect information. I don't have time of patience for that.

I always have everything planned out as far as where, when, what ship I'm going on down to the exact cabin so I don't use him for that. If you want a TRULY relaxing experience get yourself a PVP like mine. That way if unexpected things come up, you don't have to repeat yourself multiple times to different people that have to get you to a supervisor or the right dept or whatever. One call to him and he handles the rest making my experience as stress free as possible and saving me time and frustration. Mine has been there since 1992 and knows the ins and outs and makes things happen. It's so much easier to call one person who knows a lot of the management personally so when things go not so smooth he can get it taken care of quickly.

If you think calling the 800 number is relaxing, then get yourself a PVP like mine. You would think you have died and gone to heaven. The experiences are nowhere near the same. You don't pay anybody for their services so take advantage of it. Once you have a great PVP, you will never go back.

A good PVP can't be beat!

Yesterday I called for a price drop and my PVP was out until Monday. The first person told me I was in Past Guest status, my PVP had corrected it as I booked on board and the jerk lied to me and put me ES. Then she said once ES, always ES. I told her no, that wasn't correct. She insisted. I called back and got it done properly. They just seem to need so much more education.

A good PVP can't be beat!

Yesterday I called for a price drop and my PVP was out until Monday. The first person told me I was in Past Guest status, my PVP had corrected it as I booked on board and the jerk lied to me and put me ES. Then she said once ES, always ES. I told her no, that wasn't correct. She insisted. I called back and got it done properly. They just seem to need so much more education.

Yours doesn't answer the phone on weekends? Mine has all his calls forwarded and I also have his cell.

I'm not sure what the special was in 2013 so I can't comment on that. However, when buying 2 FCC's now, you would have the following charges on your on-board account:

$250 FCC

$250 FCC

-$100 Credit

-$150 Credit

The first one they give you a credit of $100 and the 2nd one they give you a credit of $150. For the 3rd and 4th you would get a credit of $125.

At least it's worked the way it's worked since Feb 2016.

For me, my PVP isn't about her doing things for me, it's about having the same person to contact if I want to book when I don't have my laptop, if I have a question because I know she'll get me the right answer and not just what I want to hear,and she can take care of things I can't do (such as linking accounts). She also keeps my DD-214 on file and knows to always book me Military rate when possible and if the price is the same. I think it's better than getting some unknown person whenever I have to call in.

You are out of date, the program changed in 2015, where if you buy 2 or more, the credit if $125 per $250 Cruise Next Certificate. It's still a $100 credit if you just buy 1.

Thank you for that update. I only sail NCL when I have to now and haven't bought an FCC in a while.

I don't know about you all, but $50 is still $50, and is worth the trouble to me. We always book Early Saver anyway, so it's not a problem for us. But when you say you can book at home within 6 weeks and still get the $50....this is news to me!

I hope this is a short lived learning curve (mistake) that Carnival corrects quickly, if true. NCL certainly has an attractive fcc package that I like and use, I'd hate to think they would become my goto cruise line. Carnival is my favorite, but I hate to feel abused.

Well, it's official now. Whether we like it or not.

The end of Friends and Family vouchers on Carnival:

IMPORTANT UPDATE TO CARNIVAL’S ONBOARD BOOKING PROGRAM:

The test of the onboard booking program is completeand Carnival, as of today, May 8th, 2017 has instituted the new onboard bookingprogram fleetwide. The details are as follows:

FUTURE CRUISE VACATION PROGRAM – IMPORTANT CHANGES

We have revamped the Future Cruise Vacation programand there are some important updates we want you to be aware of. Under the newprogram, guests can still book onboard either direct with Carnival or undertheir travel agent at the Future Cruise Desk. OR they may choose to book oncehome as the offer lasts under their VIFP #’s for two weeks post cruise.

What is changing:

** OBC is now a flat amount of $50 per cruise ($100for suite guests)

** Must book under the Future Cruise Early Saverwith reduced deposit offer to get the OBC. No longer have a choice of a nonrefundable rate such as past guest rates etc.

** Reduced deposits of 50%

** Can still book onboard at the future cruisedesk, since offer is tied to your VIFP # you may book via the HUB or contactyour travel agent

** The offer now lasts two weeks post cruise so youmay wait and book after you are home.

** No more Friends and Family Vouchers

** Offer is combinable with agency group bookingsso, if your travel agent has a group sailing planned, you can combine thisoffer with any group amenities offered as long as you book before the offerexpires.

** Unlike the old OBC which always remained, onthis new program if you find a rate reduction at a later time, this OBC willdisappear.

I seriously thought about waiting to book our summer of 2018 cruise until we embark on our cruise this summer. I don't know exactly what made me go ahead and book it since I've really enjoyed the benefits from booking on board in the past.

Loss of OBC is bad enough, but couple that with being locked into Early Saver AND losing the OBC if taking advantage of a price reduction that doesn't include it makes this an unattractive deal.

No, but that would be a good reason on why the future cruise offers are only ES now. Think about it. You can't cancel and rebook without penalty.

I seriously thought about waiting to book our summer of 2018 cruise until we embark on our cruise this summer. I don't know exactly what made me go ahead and book it since I've really enjoyed the benefits from booking on board in the past.

Loss of OBC is bad enough, but couple that with being locked into Early Saver AND losing the OBC if taking advantage of a price reduction that doesn't include it makes this an unattractive deal.

What is it about early saver that locks you in?

What is it about early saver that locks you in?

Some changes can't be made. Other changes can be made for a fee. Read the terms and conditions of Early Saver. It works great if you know for a certainty that nothing, except an upgrade, is allowed.

Just my two cents but Carnival could save a ton of money by getting rid of the future cruise desk altogether and just offer Future cruise certificates purchased from your tv's interactive menu, thus eliminating the need for onboard representatives. I really miss the FCC's . They were efficient and I could choose a cruise at my Leisure without having the do the phantom booking to switch at a later date in a lengthy phone call. The new future cruise rules pretty much rule me out, as I never know who will go with me from my family so early saver will not work for me.

Just my two cents but Carnival could save a ton of money by getting rid of the future cruise desk altogether and just offer Future cruise certificates purchased from your tv's interactive menu, thus eliminating the need for onboard representatives. I really miss the FCC's . They were efficient and I could choose a cruise at my Leisure without having the do the phantom booking to switch at a later date in a lengthy phone call. The new future cruise rules pretty much rule me out, as I never know who will go with me from my family so early saver will not work for me.

Agree. Early Saver has worked very well for me in the past and I've enjoyed some decent OBC because of it.

Family situations change. People grow up and form new relationships, it gets harder to make firm commitments at distant dates. Early Saver can be a blessing at times but not in every case.

I might still choose it but expect it to be because it fits my circumstances.