St. Maartens weekend vs cruise to Half Moon Cay?

lboiv001

I have been to St. Maartens and St. Thomas and loved it enough to want to fly to St. Maartens for a weekend. Half Moon Cay is at the top of my list to cruise to next but I need opinions from cruisers who have been to both, because right now I can only afford either a cruise (to HMC) or a weekend in St. Maartens, but not both, and I need to decide which one to take my 20 year old daughter to this summer, who has never done a cruise nor flown to the caribbean.

Great Bay in St. Maartens seems to have the same emerald green water and soft sand (best jetski experience in my life!!!) as what I see on youtube at HMC, though I could be wrong here. I am also concerned about the fact that cruises sometimes skip HMC due to weather or water conditions, and I would hate to miss this golden opportunity for her to see this place because of that fact.

I am leaning towards flying down to St. Maartens for the weekend, maybe going in Mid-June. Is it way too hot down there for this timing?

Thanks in advance.

My vote is St. Martin. Not only are there a zillion beautiful beaches there and tons of stuff to do, but the weather in June (IMO) is perfect. I spent most the summer of 2015 there and it barely rained whereas in the Bahamas, it's more common to experience rain in the summer months. (Although I admit either I way, the risk of bad weather remains a factor.)

Also, I agree with you: the risk you take NOT stopping at your favorite port might be too great when considering these 2 options. You know for sure the plane is going to land. (Well at least it's highly more likely to land as opposed to a missed stop, true?)

Did I mention how many amazing beaches there are in St. Martin? IMHO, Great Bay is one of my least favorites. Venture further and you will be amazed!! Have fun whatever you decide!!!! :)

I agree with other posters - if we are to opine, we need to know the length of the cruise (and what other ports are included), to compare it to 2-3 nights in St. Martin.

I have been to both twice and it's tough because Half Moon Cay is BY FAR the best beach I've ever been to, but St. Martin/Maarten offers so much more - there are some world class French restaurants on the French side and the island tour as your first activity would give you an idea of what you want to spend more time for the remainder of the trip.

If it was just 2-3 days in either Half Moon Cay or St. Martin, I'd easily prefer St. Martin though I appreciate your struggle, as in all my trips to the Caribbean I rank Half Moon Cay and St. Martin as in my top three spots.

Before deciding on St Martin vs HMC, check to see how many cruise ships are in port while you will be there.

On my last cruise, based upon the passenger capacities of the ships in port and the fact that it was around Easter when ship sail full, I estimate 18,000 - 20,000 passengers were dumped into port that day.

Based upon comments of fellow passengers who decided to go to various beaches that day, the beaches ranged from very crowded to literally standing room only (the last at Maho) with cruise ship passengers.

It certainly would have been frustrating to be on a land based vacation and planning for a quiet day at the beach.

If you're doing a LAND vacation to St. Martin, then the cruise ships will only be a factor a part of the day....and in reality, ports only take as many as they can handle...so that wouldn't be a concern for me at all.

As someone else pointed out, Phillipsburg is not the best place to stay. St. Martaan is one of our favorite islands. The food is amazing. You might want to consider the French side, St.Martin as well.

I can only afford either a cruise (to HMC) or a weekend in St. Maartens, but not both, and I need to decide which one to take my 20 year old daughter to this summer, who has never done a cruise nor flown to the caribbean......

lboiv001,

Flying to an island is fun, but since your daughter has never cruised nor been to the caribbean then cruise is her best option IMO.

not quite sure I am following the OP's logic. You can easily stay a week in St. Martin for same price or less than a cruise. Unless you take an inside cabin, don't drink and don't go on excursions.

Did I mention how many amazing beaches there are in St. Martin? IMHO, Great Bay is one of my least favorites. Venture further and you will be amazed!! Have fun whatever you decide!!!! :)

Really? That would be very good news, since I was highly impressed with Great Bay. What are your favorite beaches there?

If we are talking 2/3 nights in St. Martin vs, 5 to 7 night cruise then my vote is a cruise.

This is true...AND it would also be cheaper. I am just worried about not getting there because of weather after getting her hopes (and mine) up and the anticipation....I won't get a refund for not making it, and I don't care about Nassau and Freeport at all.

Just being on a cruise at sea is very cool, but I could show her that in a shorter, much cheaper trip just to get a taste of the cruising bug.

Really? That would be very good news, since I was highly impressed with Great Bay. What are your favorite beaches there?

I stayed at Alamanda Resort on Orient Beach for a week as well as the Westin on Dawn Beach for a week. There were restaurants both on the beach and land side near Alamanda, as well as in Grand Case. We rented a car and circumnavigated the isle, stopping at all kinds of beaches along the way. I don't think any of the Sint Maarten beaches were equal to HMC, but you can only stay at HMC for 6 hours or so before you have to tender and return to the ship.

Orient got a little bit crowded with cruisers for a few hours, not a big deal. I would do a land vacay over a short cruise.

not quite sure I am following the OP's logic. You can easily stay a week in St. Martin for same price or less than a cruise. Unless you take an inside cabin, don't drink and don't go on excursions.

That's not what I am finding....but then, I wouldn't want to cruise without doing the excursions and sipping rum. ;)

I found on Kayak.com that it would be around $1500 for 2 nights with hotel, and that doesn't include food or any activities. The average price for 2 in an interior cabin was $1150, and of course all the good food is included.

Doing a land vacation to a place that you've visited on a cruise ship is a completely different experience and I highly recommend it. We've taken land vacation to several places that we've visited on cruise ships and this has allowed us to really get to explore and see what that place is truly about. Cruising allows you to take a tiny bite. A land vacation allows you to have the full entree.

For Spring Break 2016, we flew to Cozumel, a place which I had only been to by cruise ship and which I normally associated with cruise ship passengers making a bee line for Senor Frogs. Long story short, it was fantastic. We explored the entire island over a few days, visited museums and archeological sites, rented a jeep and drove to the off the beaten path parts of the island (think no electricity or cellphone signal), with breathtaking and secluded beaches as well as postcard scenery. We also got to eat at restaurants frequented by the locals and mingle in parts of San Miguel that tourists never get to see.

We've also taken several land vacation to other places, like Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands, and the Bahamas, with similar, positive experiences.

A cruise is a great way to sample various places while enjoying the comforts and convenience offered onboard, but a land vacation will always give you much more of the actual destination. You just need to ask yourself what you think your daughter (and you) will enjoy the most.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That's not what I am finding....but then, I wouldn't want to cruise without doing the excursions and sipping rum. ;)

I found on Kayak.com that it would be around $1500 for 2 nights with hotel, and that doesn't include food or any activities. The average price for 2 in an interior cabin was $1150, and of course all the good food is included.

Where are you finding $750 a night rooms in St.Maarten? without an "s". Simpson Bay Resort is about $150 a night and beautiful. I don't even think the Westin or Ritz Carlton are over $400 a night

Oh me too! I thought Great Bay was so amazing the first (and second) time I was there on a cruise. Great Bay is the reason I booked a land trip....and then I discovered the rest of the island. WOW! It truly is so beautiful.

My favorites are Baie Rouge, Anse Marcel, Mullet, and Pinel....but that really is only a few! I was there most the summer of 2015 and I still wasn't able to see all the beaches. Not even close. There's almost TOO much to do there!! :)

If I was there for one weekend, I honestly don't know where I would stay. So many wonderful choices. I'm taking my son on a B2B cruise that stops in St Martin (twice), and I can't decide on where to spend those days. One day will most likely be cabbing it to Anse Marcel. The other, I'm still debating. Perhaps Mullet, but it will be a bit crowded, as usual. Even in the summer (2015) when there were no ships in port, it was crowded, but definitely not to the point to where it would be unpleasant.

Where are you finding $750 a night rooms in St.Maarten? without an "s". Simpson Bay Resort is about $150 a night and beautiful. I don't even think the Westin or Ritz Carlton are over $400 a night

That price includes hotel AND flight for 2 people, the bundle.

Edited by lboiv001
Correction

Doing a land vacation to a place that you've visited on a cruise ship is a completely different experience and I highly recommend it. We've taken land vacation to several places that we've visited on cruise ships and this has allowed us to really get to explore and see what that place is truly about. Cruising allows you to take a tiny bite. A land vacation allows you to have the full entree.

I concur with this. I see a cruise as a really fun, vacation-esque scouting trip for future planned ventures, giving you a lot of small tasty bites of varied places in a relatively inexpensive way.

I only wish I could fly or ferry to JUST HMC, but that is not possible (unless anyone here knows how to do that....might be a new subject thread).