Crown Princess Cruise May 13th, airport to port help!

TheGrinch008

Hello All,

My family and I will be arriving at Heathrow airport in London on May 13, and unfortunately the Princess transfer is fully booked so we will need to find an alternate mode of transportation. Advice/tips from anyone whom has experience with getting from airport to Southampton would be much appreciated.

There will be 5 of us plus a piece of luggage each and we would prefer to go in one vehicle, if possible. A rough estimate of cost would be appreciated too, in U.S dollars (home country) or British pounds. Thanks in advance!

TheGrinch008

e-mail Smiths for Airports. We used them last June from Heathrow to Southampton. Their cost was reasonable. The driver met us in the airport at the exit from Customs, and drove us directly to Shouthampton. Make sure you inform them of the number of passengers and amount of luggage so they can provide you with the proper sized van and cost.

National Express as already recommended or try Smith's cars

http://www.smithsforairports.com/text/services.html

Based near to Southampton and used by a lot of people and Heathrow to Southampton cruise terminal is a regular trip for them.

What you have not done is to tell us what time you arrive at Heathrow as knowing how much time you have could affect the answer.

I am busy at the moment and won't be back on line today, but ask on the UK cruising board, or even do a search using 'heathrow to southampton' and you will get lots of good advice.,

I appreciate that you are not panicking, but don't listen to anyone who starts by telling you how difficult Heathrow to Southampton is. They are unlikely to be giving you good advice.

Rule 1 with your dilemma is don't go into central London to catch a train. Not the quickest way by far, quite complex and with five of you far too expensive.

Check out the National Express timetable at http://coach.nationalexpress.com

Coaches from Terminal 3 at 09.45 arrive 12.00, but only one place left and only other coach is 11.30 arrive 13.45.

You can book on line.

However at £17.50 per person, with five of you better value by to contact Smiths and get one of their people carriers. You could always phone them if you want the reassurance of talking it through.

Their number from the US is 011 44 23 9283 1111

Edited by Corfe Mixture
comment on train costs for five

Hello All,

My family and I will be arriving at Heathrow airport in London on May 13, and unfortunately the Princess transfer is fully booked so we will need to find an alternate mode of transportation. Advice/tips from anyone whom has experience with getting from airport to Southampton would be much appreciated.

There will be 5 of us plus a piece of luggage each and we would prefer to go in one vehicle, if possible. A rough estimate of cost would be appreciated too, in U.S dollars (home country) or British pounds. Thanks in advance!

TheGrinch008

http://www.woodfordchauffeurcars.co.uk/cruise-connection.php

Yup, that is another one Keith and quite a few recommend them.

The only reservation I would have is:

a) the car in the photo on the main page is 10 years old

b) their only phone number is a mobile number

and

c) I don't think that you can get hold a of geographic number or a postal address.

Correction. I did a company search on them. They are based in Ringwood Hants. I have a postcode for them, BH24 3JW, which sort localises their address. They apparently have 1-10 employees.

Did a search on the post code, and it is a small trading estate on Hangersley Hill. However, I could find no sign of a business called Woodford Chauffeur Services, though that doesn't mean they are not there. One of the units on the estate is a Garage called Forest Corner Garage. No idea if they are related but that is the only business I could find related to transport and unfortunately the road is not covered by Google Street View.

Personally never deal with any company which is not open about its geographic location / company address.

Why? Well they may be a very good company but the absence of a geographic phone number and a proper address makes it much more difficult to hold them to account if something goes wrong.

Edited by Corfe Mixture
added location information

Yup, that is another one Keith and quite a few recommend them.

The only reservation I would have is:

a) the car in the photo on the main page is 10 years old

b) their only phone number is a mobile number

and

c) I don't think that you can get hold a geographic number or a postal address.

Having said that I do believe that they are based in Woodford, East London. FWIW Woodford is the opposite side of London to Southampton.

Thanks, good points. We have used them twice and I think Pam has used them as well. I thought they were quite good. :)

Thanks, good points. We have used them twice and I think Pam has used them as well. I thought they were quite good. :)

Keith,

Check this link out.

https://www.duedil.com/company/gb/06544915/woodford-chauffeur-cars-limited

Apparently the company was formed in 2008 (I believe it existed before that date but was dissolved and reformed) and operated from what appears to be one of the private houses on Hangersley Hill.

According to the information in the link, it would appear that the company was dissolved on 04 April 2017 with the accounts showing no assets and liabilities of over £120,000.

The website however still appears to be open but whether or not they are taking bookings is something I am not able to comment on.

Keith,

Check this link out.

https://www.duedil.com/company/gb/06544915/woodford-chauffeur-cars-limited

Apparently the company was formed in 2008 (I believe it existed before that date but was dissolved and reformed) and operated from what appears to be one of the private houses on Hangersley Hill.

According to the information in the link, it would appear that the company was dissolved on 04 April 2017 with the accounts showing no assets and liabilities of over £120,000.

The website however still appears to be open but whether or not they are taking bookings is something I am not able to comment on.

:eek: Yikes! I will stop recommending them until we hear otherwise.

Thanks.

Hi Keith,

Quote from this thread

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2481395

An update on Woodford. I just contacted Cheryl, who said they used to service both commercial businesses as well as cruise transfers. They've recently sold the commercial business part and only service cruise customers, working from their home, she reconfirms our booking. They are now called Woodford Cruise Connections and are no longer a limited company.

Appears that they have reinvented themselves with a slightly different name and are taking new bookings using the same website.

Interesting comment by Woodford that they have 'sold' the commercial part and now only service cruise customers!!

Wonder how much they managed to get when they sold the limited company / business given it had no assets and liabilities of £120,000?