Why I'm leaving RCCL and you should too!

I made the reservation on their website, made a deposit and had booking number. I printed out all the price changes and sent it to their main office. The response was they can change the fare but it could be a technical error. Maybe if I had used my travel agent this wouldn't have happened, but the 30% off was finished at midnight so we booked online.

How did you know your price went up after you booked the cruise? This happened to us once when I noticed my final payment on the website jumped a few hundred dollars higher than my invoice. It was resolved quickly by a first line customer service agent with one phone call. This problem has also been reported by others and I don't recall anyone not getting it resolved.

Let me share with you a couple of examples why Royal might have changed the policy regarding non refundable deposits and charging a $100 service charge to move reservations.

1). When does a Next Cruise rep get paid commission for a booked cruise? My understanding is that it is paid after 60 days (not confirmed). So, a person might book a very expensive suite cabin with next cruise as either a place holder or too wait until the Next Cruise rep gets paid commission, and then moving the deposit to say a inside cabin. So next Cruise rep is paid commission on say $10k cabin but yet those that booked changed to a inside cabin for less than $2k for same cruise.

Food for thought??

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't know about the USA or the UK but in Australia if we book on board, (which we normally do) we have to stay within our booked category or upgrade. If we wanted to downgrade, we would have to cancel our booking and re-book.

In Australia we have been able to obtain a refund for a cancelled booking but we have been advised that all future bookings for GS and above will no longer be refunded. I am of the belief that it can be transferred. We have always been able to transfer both our deposit and OBC to another cruise (in the same category) although I am aware of some TA's who have a 'no refund' policy - they would not get my business. I am in favour of the new policy because I'm sick of being waitlisted for a GS or OS that has been booked by a 'suite hog' lol and then having to pay the premium price.

Also, can I ask why the English people booking on board don't just pay the deposit in US$ thereby allowing them to transfer their booking to a US TA who will undoubtedly give them a whole lot more OBC and you can then take advantage of the price drops which they won't allow in England or Australia. We have booked lots of cruises through a US TA but at the moment aren't due to the woeful $AU:(

Cheers

Di

I don't know about the USA or the UK but in Australia if we book on board, (which we normally do) we have to stay within our booked category or upgrade. If we wanted to downgrade, we would have to cancel our booking and re-book.

Cheers

Di

In my previous post I should have also said, or another cruise, using the place holder cruise to later transfer to another cruise. If they cancel the booked cruise after a certain amount of time, the time it takes for the Rep to receive commission, and then book the actual cruise in a lower price range.

How did you know your price went up after you booked the cruise? This happened to us once when I noticed my final payment on the website jumped a few hundred dollars higher than my invoice. It was resolved quickly by a first line customer service agent with one phone call. This problem has also been reported by others and I don't recall anyone not getting it resolved.

I went on the website to see about beverage packages and noticed the change in the fare. Three price changes eere 2 too many so we cancelled and rebooked on another cruise line.

In my previous post I should have also said, or another cruise, using the place holder cruise to later transfer to another cruise. If they cancel the booked cruise after a certain amount of time, the time it takes for the Rep to receive commission, and then book the actual cruise in a lower price range.

What is the payment structure for the future cruise booking people? Do they get a percentage based on the amount of money you spend like a regular TA would get?

On Carnival the PVP's get a fixed rate no matter which category you book or the amount of money you spend.

Bill

Many other responses to the OP are just downright nasty. These are people who can't act civil, or just feel tough behind a keyboard. OP raised a very valid point. Anyone may disagree or simply not care. But the attitude that pervades here is why CC has just a bad reputation.

I agree people can be mean in their replies, however in this case I think it was justified with the defensive attack the OP started out with. They're angry boycotting and everyone else must follow too, but then calls others sheep for not doing it?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=53034218&postcount=25

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=53034299&postcount=29

I can see that this change is making you angry. Best to find alternative cruise lines that meet your expectations.

I like RCCL, cruised with them over 30 yrs. Cruised with other lines as well. Sometimes RCCL and others do something that annoy me. Usually find it best not to share my frustration with others as the likelihood is that they won't understand or sympathise.

So far, none of my bad experiences warrant not choosing RCCL for future cruises.

I agree people can be mean in their replies, however in this case I think it was justified with the defensive attack the OP started out with. They're angry boycotting and everyone else must follow too, but then calls others sheep for not doing it?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=53034218&postcount=25

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=53034299&postcount=29

Or apologists,

Wow, so many posters on this thread I started; unfortunately I don't have time to read them all. But for anyone still interested, these are the lessons I've learned.

First, I really do like RCCL and have three cruises booked with them and awaiting a fourth to open up. I don't like this new policy, but I do like their cruises. I have sailed with Regents, NCL, and Celebrity; have a HAL cruise booked and itching to try Princess. I like playing the field when it comes to cruises, but RCCL is still a favorite.

Second, if you book suites while on board, your deposit is 100% NON-refundable. With my three cruises, which I booked on-board, every deposit is 100% non-refundable, there was NO reduction in deposit and OBC was applied to the future cruise. Also, be aware this ONLY applies to cruises booked while on-board. Had I booked these cruises through my TA, the deposits would have been fully refundable, with the normal sliding time scale.

Third, if you don't book suites and believe this will not affect you, RCCL is considering making this standard for ALL cabins booked while on board; similarly, it will not affect bookings made through your TA. As for the UK cruisers, I'm sorry if this is the way it has always been for you, but this is not the way cruising is for US bookings. But I suppose all that could change at any given time.

Most important lesson learned: I will never, ever book another cruise while on board because it's not a good deal by any stretch of the imagination. I will, however, continue to book RCCL cruises through my TA. RCCL is going to have a difficult time funding all their big future cruise offices and personnel if they keep going like this. If other lines adopt this crazy method, I won't book on-board with them either, my TA will get all that business!! Of course, I transfer all the bookings to him anyway, so it's all good....

If nothing else, consider yourself forewarned if you like booking your next cruise while on board.

Wow, so many posters on this thread I started; unfortunately I don't have time to read them all. But for anyone still interested, these are the lessons I've learned.

First, I really do like RCCL and have three cruises booked with them and awaiting a fourth to open up. I don't like this new policy, but I do like their cruises. I have sailed with Regents, NCL, and Celebrity; have a HAL cruise booked and itching to try Princess. I like playing the field when it comes to cruises, but RCCL is still a favorite.

Second, if you book suites while on board, your deposit is 100% NON-refundable. With my three cruises, which I booked on-board, every deposit is 100% non-refundable, there was NO reduction in deposit and OBC was applied to the future cruise. Also, be aware this ONLY applies to cruises booked while on-board. Had I booked these cruises through my TA, the deposits would have been fully refundable, with the normal sliding time scale.

Third, if you don't book suites and believe this will not affect you, RCCL is considering making this standard for ALL cabins booked while on board; similarly, it will not affect bookings made through your TA. As for the UK cruisers, I'm sorry if this is the way it has always been for you, but this is not the way cruising is for US bookings. But I suppose all that could change at any given time.

Most important lesson learned: I will never, ever book another cruise while on board because it's not a good deal by any stretch of the imagination. I will, however, continue to book RCCL cruises through my TA. RCCL is going to have a difficult time funding all their big future cruise offices and personnel if they keep going like this. If other lines adopt this crazy method, I won't book on-board with them either, my TA will get all that business!! Of course, I transfer all the bookings to him anyway, so it's all good....

If nothing else, consider yourself forewarned if you like booking your next cruise while on board.

I gave up booking on board in November 2014. The price I was charged was $1000 more than the published website price (which I printed out and had with me). I was told that was the best deal they could offer. Two weeks later, after the cruise was over, I contact my TA and was rebooked at the lower price. While I put all this information in my review (over 13,000 views) I did not tell or suggest that anyone take any action. I left that up to the reader.

Since then, and before your post, the rules changed again, making a future cruise certificate worthless to me.

Since my cruise on the Liberty of the Seas about 14 months ago, I have been trying other lines (NCL and Princess). I am also platinum on Carnival. While I like Royal Caribbean, there have been some issues lately that made me decide that this was a good time to see what the other cruise lines are offering. There are at least three other cruise lines that I am interested in trying. Then I'll decide which offer what I want, and stay with those lines. The important point here is, I'll do the deciding for me, not someone else.

Royal Caribbean may have a very good reason for doing what it has done. That has been documented on this thread. Airlines have had nonrefundable fares for years (not nonrefundable deposits - nonrefundable full fares). Compared to that, the cruise lines have been very liberal with their refund policy and/or change in trips (I recently change my cruise on NCL by a couple of months with no penalty at all).

If you don't like the new rules and thus don't want to cruise with Royal Caribbean, that is your choice. But don't try to tell me that because you don't like it I shouldn't either. Whether I'll put up with it is my choice, not yours to make for me.

If other lines adopt this crazy method, I won't book on-board with them either, my TA will get all that business!! Of course, I transfer all the bookings to him anyway, so it's all good.....

RCI doesn't really care how you book.

So, it's gone from "I'm leaving RCCL" to "I have three cruises booked with them, and waiting for a 4th to open up"

Ok then

Sounds like my fights with my husband. Shouting match stand on the counter screaming and yelling ten minutes later . Would you like to go to the Mall. :D

So, it's gone from "I'm leaving RCCL" to "I have three cruises booked with them, and waiting for a 4th to open up"

Ok then

Dontcha just feel sorry for alllll those people that stopped cruising RCCL just because he said to? :rolleyes:

OMG, people, I've stated the lessons learned here....you know there are people who use these boards to research their upcoming cruises. Granted I was more abrupt in my first posting, buy geez, the principle remains the same--major differences between booking on board and through a TA. I may or may not leave RCCL, those cruises I have booked have the non-refundable deposits and I will not throw $1800 away like that. Yes, I'm waiting on a fourth cruise because it's going where I want to go and when I want to go. No, YOU don't have to leave RCCL, because they are a good line; but, like others I'm sure, they have their problems. I have and will continue to try other cruise lines, but that's me--not you. If you do all your cruising on RCCL, all's well--it makes you happy. Live and let live people.

Oops, it's $2700 in deposits, not $1800

Edited by Curly-Q

OMG, people, I've stated the lessons learned here....you know there are people who use these boards to research their upcoming cruises. Granted I was more abrupt in my first posting, buy geez, the principle remains the same--major differences between booking on board and through a TA. I may or may not leave RCCL, those cruises I have booked have the non-refundable deposits and I will not throw $1800 away like that. Yes, I'm waiting on a fourth cruise because it's going where I want to go and when I want to go. No, YOU don't have to leave RCCL, because they are a good line; but, like others I'm sure, they have their problems. I have and will continue to try other cruise lines, but that's me--not you. If you do all your cruising on RCCL, all's well--it makes you happy. Live and let live people.

Oops, it's $2700 in deposits, not $1800

You might have already posted this but let me ask, did you book place marker cruises or cruises to later move deposits to another cruise/date?

This is the issue I saw and it affected us. Cabins sold out only to be released after final payment and of course the price was much higher.

I know of cruisers who will book EVERY Weekend during certain times of the year to insure they will have their pick of cruises in the cabin they want. I see this problem mostly on Suites, including JS.