Eurodam to Alaska : We came , we saw , we photographed .

And as we neared the Johnstone Strait we were on Orca alert since this is where they are supposed to congregate .

Is the Johnstone Strait only traversed on Vancouver round trips? (Do Ships traverse the Johnstone Strait when approaching Victoria from Sitka? Is that part of the "scenic cruising" described on an itinerary?)

If possible, please provide Daniel's contact information.

We are not sure what to do in Victoria just yet. Thinking about Fisherman's Wharf & the habituated seals and/or the Bug Zoo (travelling with an 8.5 year old)... We have a full day.

Is the Johnstone Strait only traversed on Vancouver round trips? (Do Ships traverse the Johnstone Strait when approaching Victoria from Sitka? Is that part of the "scenic cruising" described on an itinerary?)

I think that it was scheduled as part of our Seattle to Seattle trip but we did it earlier and longer to make up for the lost day in Sitka .

Here's Daniel's photo and his Tour's by Local's Link :

https://www.toursbylocals.com/TBL/WebObjects/ToursByLocals.woa/1/wo/hLCCtImNpUxx5wLc1J2VRw/2.67.1.3.1.0.17.0

Daniel_zpsowji9f0j.jpg

We went on the top deck to take a look around

DSC01680_zpsll5cz8de.jpg

The Coral Princess was practicing parallel parking

DSC01661_zpshyt1fvm5.jpg

DSC01691_zps0fu8u54d.jpg

DSC01693_zps1yysuwog.jpg

Video clip :

And a helicopter pad was nearby

IMG_6229_zpsrtttcwg4.jpg

The helicopter take off video :

The Coral Princess was allowed to disembark before us . I suspect that it was because of the EMS vehicle that greeted them .

IMG_5750%20Stitch-001_zpsb7oblhrc.jpg

Our next stop was the inner harbor , where we parked behind the British Columbia Parliament Building and walked to the harbor .

IMG_577720Stitch-001_zpsmpmcj36i.jpg

IMG_5784_zpsr6pvg7al.jpg

They have several memorials that we passed

IMG_579320Stitch-001_zps0a6op5va.jpg

IMG_579620Stitch-001_zpsmnrn79cb.jpg

Before reaching the front of the building

IMG_580520Stitch-001_zpsm1jqdtd6.jpg

where we crossed the street to the harbor .

IMG_5816_zps0dnwuctl.jpg

IMG_581720Stitch-001_zps6gvlwnx1.jpg

IMG_5861_zpsjtn1adzj.jpg

The British influence is strong here and with the buildings , gardens and lawns we almost felt like we were back in England . Which is where we were 1 year ago with our oldest grandson , on a Baltic cruise from Southamption .

IMG_585420Stitch-001_zpsbkusds92.jpg

And of course there were more totem poles

IMG_5827_zpsi6ja5dgb.jpg

IMG_5836_zpsytbudrbd.jpg

Another Victoria landmark that we stopped at is Roger's that dates back to 1885 .

IMG_5866_zpsisfxqjwz.jpg

Sounds like a very fair trade off. Although, I would be disappointed in missing Sitka. I think adding the Inside Passage and the longer stay in Victoria is a nice bonus.

So many ships come into Victoria for such a short time for a very beautiful port. Hope you enjoyed your visit to Victoria. I very proudly get to call it home.

Yes , there was a big storm in Sitka so we skipped it , leaving longer hours in the other ports.

DSC01327_zpsqx1wbkmt.jpg

I loved the houseboats! I always thought it would be fun to live on one, but I don't think I'd want it to be in Alaska. I definitely prefer a warmer climate. :D

Victoria's (British Columnia's) climate is much more temperate than Alaska's but it would still get cold being on the water.

Sounds like a very fair trade off. Although, I would be disappointed in missing Sitka. I think adding the Inside Passage and the longer stay in Victoria is a nice bonus.

So many ships come into Victoria for such a short time for a very beautiful port. Hope you enjoyed your visit to Victoria. I very proudly get to call it home.

We had really hoped to visit Sitka for wildlife since we had a small boat excursion in hope of seeing sea lions , otters , bears , puffins or whales . And while the inside passage and extra time was nice and we did enjoy Victoria , we had really wanted to do both .

Seeing this record shop reminded us of Chinatown in London

IMG_5913_zpsxl4upwwy.jpg

Daniel asked us if we wanted Bubble tea . We have never tried it before so we were excited to try it .

DSC01716_zps6kfcbfyq.jpg

While we waited we did what we like to do . Pat shopping for our daughters and DIL and me taking photos . The girls all got bamboo purses , made in China of course .

DSC01723_zpsjsrgv7nj.jpg

Our Bubble tea , Chai for Pat

DSC01731_zpsniluqzcb.jpg

and lychee lemongrass for me .

DSC01727_zps64xxah2v.jpg

Notice the huge straws , they are for sucking up the tapioca 'pearls' , which taste like gummy bears . The owner had made this dragon on the floor from Canadian coins .

DSC01721_zpsfhurtb28.jpg

I loved the houseboats! I always thought it would be fun to live on one, but I don't think I'd want it to be in Alaska. I definitely prefer a warmer climate. :D

We may need a house boat here .

We broke a 100 year old record for rainfall in 1 hour at the airport , 4 inches in 1 hour !

And it's been raining for 4 days straight and expected to rain for 5 more . ;p

flood202017_zpswfa9pwvq.jpg

Was there ivy on the Wall of the Empress ? The photo in our guide book showed ivy .

A lot of the ivy was trimmed back when they did a major renovation to the outside last year. It's growing back. The Empress has new owners and they are putting a fair bit into renovations. The iconic sign was replaced as well with a more energy efficient one.

Was there ivy on the Wall of the Empress ? The photo in our guide book showed ivy .

They just finished a major renovation that took the ivy off as it was harming the building. (At least what we were told)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We may need a house boat here .

We broke a 100 year old record for rainfall in 1 hour at the airport , 4 inches in 1 hour !

And it's been raining for 4 days straight and expected to rain for 5 more . ;p

flood202017_zpswfa9pwvq.jpg

We have gotten a lot of rain here, too. Not quite ready for a houseboat yet, though. :D