A note on luggage tags...

Yes, NCL uses the wide type. I have both sizes, but for those buying for the first time, the suggestion to buy the wide ones that fit all cruise lines was a good one.

Another good tip that I learned from CC was to buy a set of magnetic hooks for the cabin walls. We used them on our last cruise and found them to be very handy for hats, notices, bathing suits, jackets, etc! Can be found on Amazon as well as the tags.

luggage tags are the easiest thing in the world.

I show up- show the porter my cabin number. He slaps a tag on with my cabin number. If they aren't a meathead and use some manners, I give them a tip. Then my bag shows up.

It's magic.

a few years ago we were sailing from San Diego pier. We were directed to a line for baggage tags ( we didn't have them). After standing in line for a VERY long time - we were directed to a second line and after a VERY ling time - were directed to a third line. Again - no luck with the tags.

We finally found a cruise line person who got on the walkie talkie thing and directed us to the correct line. Not sure if the baggage handlers were on some kind of work slow-down, or what - but it ended up taking more than an hour of standing in various lines to get the tags.

I have had a phobia of going into the line for baggage tags ever since.:(

Hi first time on RCI, tk u for below information.

I've gone into my reservation printed my set sail document signed the waiver and entered passport information.

Currently waiting for my documents to be ready 7 wks tomorrow we sail.

However may I ask plz there is a question about on board account that I have ignored.

I believe it could be asking for my credit card info for on board expenses so my question here is ,Is this safe to enter now or can I wait till I enter the ship ????

Tk u

Woof,

I see you are a cruise "newbie"...heading out on your first cruise in a little less than a month, so, allow me to explain:

Traditionally (in the old days), cruise lines would send you a package a few weeks before your cruise with "cruise docs" in it--your cruise contract, boarding pass, itinerary, specifics on your cruise, etc. The package also contained a sheet of adhesive-backed luggage tags--which you would be instructed to wrap around the handle of your suitcases before leaving them with the porters at the pier.

But, nowadays, all of these cruise documents are, instead, just made available to you electronically...and so are the luggage tags...

BTW, by now, you should have logged on to the RCCL website and, after inputting your booking number, name and cruise date/ship, you would have gone through a series of forms to input various bits of information: Full names, address, flight info, next of kin, passport numbers, etc. Then you need to print out a document called "Set Sail Pass"--this is the boarding pass you need to bring with you to the pier.

About seven weeks prior to sailing, another link appears on your online check-in page...this one for the luggage tags. Nowadays, you are expected to print these on your own--and attach them to your luggage either by folding and stapling...or by some other method--like the tag holders we are talking about here...or just by scotch tape. The info on these tags include your cabin number, deck, ship quadrant and cruise date...There is a space to write in your name...or, if you know how to do this with Adobe Acrobat, you can add your name before printing. This info is to allow the crew to efficiently get your luggage from where you checked it in to your cabin. Think about it--they have 2,000 to 6,000 passengers on your ship (depending on which ship)...and each has 1-2 pieces of luggage that needs to be sorted, sent to the correct deck and delivered to your room.

It's actually okay if you don't do this--but, in that case, there is just more to do when you arrive at the pier...The porters do have blank tags there that they can fill out with the information...but, it's just another step you can avoid and another chance for something to go amiss...

Good luck...and enjoy your first cruise...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi first time on RCI, tk u for below information.

I've gone into my reservation printed my set sail document signed the waiver and entered passport information.

Currently waiting for my documents to be ready 7 wks tomorrow we sail.

However may I ask plz there is a question about on board account that I have ignored.

I believe it could be asking for my credit card info for on board expenses so my question here is ,Is this safe to enter now or can I wait till I enter the ship ????

Tk u

The online check-in usually asks for the last 4 digits of the CC number, however you can wait until you are in the termnal for check-in if you like.

No one thought about putting a luggage tag on the top handle and side handle. That way if one comes off, the other is still there.

I do that all the time. I have seven of the plastic luggage tag holders.

• 1 month later...
Complete non-issue.

Probably 18 of my trips I have printed my own luggage tags.Never had any problems what-so-ever.

No need to go buy something..

And how do u staple them when u arrive at port ??? I have them printed and folded but wondering how exactly will I attach these to the bag at port. I can't add mine to our luggage until after we fly[emoji57][emoji57][emoji57][emoji57]

And how do u staple them when u arrive at port ??? I have them printed and folded but wondering how exactly will I attach these to the bag at port. I can't add mine to our luggage until after we fly[emoji57][emoji57][emoji57][emoji57]

We've seen people carry a small stapler with them just for luggage tags.

Also, if one stays at a hotel the night before the cruise, the hotel front desk will have a stapler to borrow.

we used the fold and package tape method we saw on you tube, it worked fine, had one of those small staplers in my back pack and just before hitting the port to board I looped them threw the handles and stapled them and they lasted 2 weeks

Just print the piece of paper (multiple copies) and bring to the pier with you. That's all you need to do. Every cruise I have ever been on, the porters have staple guns, they will fold, staple and attach the luggage tags. No need to do anything ahead of time, no need to bring a stapler, no need for any sort of plastic bag tags, or anything else. This really is a total non-issue.

Another option:

https://www.amazon.com/Cruise-Luggage-Holder-Seal-Steel/dp/B01E4SQNU4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1498497955&sr=8-1&keywords=cruise+luggage+tags+royal+caribbean

The online check-in usually asks for the last 4 digits of the CC number, however you can wait until you are in the termnal for check-in if you like.

For the first time ever, my last check-in a couple of days ago asked for the whole card number.

Gregg

Great tks all - once I don't need to add a stapler now to my packing [emoji12][emoji12][emoji12]

The first time I had to print my own luggage tags, I did the clear packing tape thing. Except I punched two holes in each one and brought cable ties with me. That was around 2010 if I recall correctly.

Since then I have purchased the clear plastic holders and have gone on fifteen cruises (with four more booked). Even at $3 each (the clear plastic holders cost less than $3 each) that works out to 20¢ per cruise.

Just print the piece of paper (multiple copies) and bring to the pier with you. That's all you need to do. Every cruise I have ever been on, the porters have staple guns, they will fold, staple and attach the luggage tags. No need to do anything ahead of time, no need to bring a stapler, no need for any sort of plastic bag tags, or anything else. This really is a total non-issue.

No need even to print them ;)

Porters do have tags.

We stopped doing it very soon after cruise lines stopped sending real tags.

i don't trust the plastic loops and we actually had a problem with one holder with the Metal loops, it got snagged on something in the cab and got ripped off and the tag was gone, so the porter attached a new luggage tag to my husbands suitcase. I will go back to using the Zip Lock Ties to secure the Tag holders.

I print up my tags and then take them to Kinkos to laminate. It costs me about $3 to do all of them and it's a pre cruise ritual - sort of takes the place of getting my docs in the mail.