Royal introduces non refundable booking option.

True, and admittedly I haven't looked at the details, but if by switching dates means I'd lose the deposit, not for me. I always seem to move up or back due to scheduling conflicts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you know that you are only going to have to move it once then it's easy to factor in the $200 penalty ($100pp) when comparing the non refundable rates to the refundable rates and choose whichever would be the cheapest even with the penalty factored in.

If you know that you are only going to have to move it once then it's easy to factor in the $200 penalty ($100pp) when comparing the non refundable rates to the refundable rates and choose whichever would be the cheapest even with the penalty factored in.

Good point

If I see an OV balcony on the Oasis for under $1600 non refundable I'll be ready to book it (probably:halo:)

For those of us past the wedding and baby making years and are secure in our jobs, booking with the nrd is easier. My cruise is a 4 night that is literally in my backyard and the deposit was only $105 Cdn pp. No airfare. The chances of something preventing us from going is very very small so it was worth getting a several category upgrade for leas money and usd 50 obc.

Now if I was booking a longer caribbean cruise....I would have to weigh the options as the deposit would be 250 pp.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Forums mobile app

I would have said that before 2015. My husband was a Sr. VP with a company in oil, gas, coal and timber. He was with that company for 41 years. We were well past the wedding and baby making at 63.

He got an e-mail to expect a call from the CEO on December 10, 2015 at 10am. He assumed it was to congratulate him for increasing the company's oil and gas reserves by 2/3 and increasing revenue by 1/3, even as prices were declining. Instead the call was to tell him that his services were no longer needed. Talk about a shock. His face went as white as the shirt he was wearing.

Never assume that your job is safe. His company has been around since the 1800's. In the past 2 years they have let 20% of the employees go, all of whom had at least 10 years service. The kept the lowest paid employees.

We had three 7 night cruises in Grand Suites booked on Royal Caribbean and an aft balcony on and 11 night Azamara cruise. Thankfully, we got our three $1000 suite deposits back from RCCL, but we lost $100 each on the Azamara cruise. And thankfully, we had not yet purchased our airfare for the Azamara cruise.

We will never book a fare with a non-refundable deposit in the future. If all the cruise lines go to this, then we will only do very last minute cruises or just not cruise at all. You never know what life will throw at you when you least expect it.

True, and admittedly I haven't looked at the details, but if by switching dates means I'd lose the deposit, not for me. I always seem to move up or back due to scheduling conflicts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's really just easier to book after the final payment date. I always find good prices and cabins and I know my dates won't have to change.

I would have said that before 2015. My husband was a Sr. VP with a company in oil, gas, coal and timber. He was with that company for 41 years. We were well past the wedding and baby making at 63.

He got an e-mail to expect a call from the CEO on December 10, 2015 at 10am. He assumed it was to congratulate him for increasing the company's oil and gas reserves by 2/3 and increasing revenue by 1/3, even as prices were declining. Instead the call was to tell him that his services were no longer needed. Talk about a shock. His face went as white as the shirt he was wearing.

Never assume that your job is safe. His company has been around since the 1800's. In the past 2 years they have let 20% of the employees go, all of whom had at least 10 years service. The kept the lowest paid employees.

We had three 7 night cruises in Grand Suites booked on Royal Caribbean and an aft balcony on and 11 night Azamara cruise. Thankfully, we got our three $1000 suite deposits back from RCCL, but we lost $100 each on the Azamara cruise. And thankfully, we had not yet purchased our airfare for the Azamara cruise.

We will never book a fare with a non-refundable deposit in the future. If all the cruise lines go to this, then we will only do very last minute cruises or just not cruise at all. You never know what life will throw at you when you least expect it.

If you want a life without risks, then don't leave home. Of course, home is where most of the accidents happen, so you are still at risk.

Originally posted by DebJ14

If you want a life without risks, then don't leave home. Of course, home is where most of the accidents happen, so you are still at risk.

Only spend money you already have, not what you may have in the future.

Priced out for DH & me, upcoming cruise categories both NRD vs R on the Allure.

The amount below is the 'savings' for NRD, reflect subtracting the OBC:

N +$223

D8 +305

B1 +365

Just not worth the $200 cancellation fee for such meager savings in my book, especially since DH won't receive official vacation time approval until right before final payment date.

Last thing i want to associate with a pleasurable vacation is worrying about whether I'm going to lose $ on my deposit YMMV.

Did find it interesting as to the difference between pricing on Inside & balconies. Not sure that is the new norm or not.

I booked traditionally. Will stalk the website for future sales & flip if one catches my fancy.:D

Many here appear to be flexible & fervid cruisers who seem to like the NRD promo as a whole. Believe the majority of us;) may not be so accepting of it and regular sales will resume sooner vs later. Well, Lol a girl can sure hope!

Many here appear to be flexible & fervid cruisers who seem to like the NRD promo as a whole. Believe the majority of us;) may not be so accepting of it and regular sales will resume sooner vs later. Well, Lol a girl can sure hope!

Regular sales? I haven't seen a "regular sale" from Royal Caribbean in years.

Other than a mortgage (and even then) that's how many people live their life.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Forums mobile app

You should not use tomorrow's money for purchases that don't last long (groceries, children's clothing, soap, gasoline, cruises ...) you should not finance these purchases. However, things that will last a long time (home, cars, major appliances ...) it make sense to finance these purchases.

I pay off my credit cards every month. Not everyone is irresponsible with money or lives paycheck to paycheck either.

Other than a mortgage (and even then) that's how many people live their life.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Forums mobile app

Many people don't use revolving credit and never buy something they can't pay off immediately even if they decide to finance a large purchase - including cars and houses.

You should not use tomorrow's money for purchases that don't last long (groceries, children's clothing, soap, gasoline, cruises ...) you should not finance these purchases. However, things that will last a long time (home, cars, major appliances ...) it make sense to finance these purchases.

I pay off my credit cards every month. Not everyone is irresponsible with money or lives paycheck to paycheck either.

Sounds nice Dave Ramsey. And while we're currently current, there have been times when we haven't been and I don't feel that made us irresponsible.

It's great that you've never faced the loss of a job, especially since you would not charge groceries to pay for them. And I'm glad your children did not have to run around naked.

And yes, there have been times we've charged a cruise and payed for it a couple months later. I guess we should have passed on the cruise to Alaska with 3 generations, some of whom are no longer with us. And we probably should have waited till we had the money in the bank to pay for that great deal we got on a Junior Suite instead of incurring 50 dollars in finance charges- true, to have done the Junior Suite on a later cruise would have cost $300 more but that would have been irresponsible.

Not everyone who carries a credit card balance is irresponsible. And even if they were, what business is it of yours?

Oh yeah, one last thing, are all of the students (and their parents) who take out loans for college irresponsible if the debt is not paid by the time they graduate?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sounds nice Dave Ramsey. And while we're currently current, there have been times when we haven't been and I don't feel that made us irresponsible.

It's great that you've never faced the loss of a job, especially since you would not charge groceries to pay for them. And I'm glad your children did not have to run around naked.

And yes, there have been times we've charged a cruise and payed for it a couple months later. I guess we should have passed on the cruise to Alaska with 3 generations, some of whom are no longer with us. And we probably should have waited till we had the money in the bank to pay for that great deal we got on a Junior Suite instead of incurring 50 dollars in finance charges- true, to have done the Junior Suite on a later cruise would have cost $300 more but that would have been irresponsible.

Not everyone who carries a credit card balance is irresponsible. And even if they were, what business is it of yours?

You know nothing about me. I was unemployed for a while. I do use a credit card when I buy my groceries, and I pay it off at the end of the month. I have never listened to the David Ramsey show. I also charge the cruises and pay them off before I go on the cruise.

I put some money away every month for large purchases or emergencies. Between unemployment, selling a few bonds, and temporary work I made it through the 6 1/2 months I was in between jobs. If that bothers you, that is your problem. I don't complain when some body spends $30,000 per month on wine, or buys every seat on a plane so he doesn't have to share with anyone else.

Your assumptions are completely wrong, I am not rich by any means, you miss the points I was making by a mile, but you are apparently very good at providing snarky comments.

Oh yeah, one last thing, are all of the students (and their parents) who take out loans for college irresponsible if the debt is not paid by the time they graduate?

If one's aim is to be financially successful, perhaps. The decision process that led to the college loan may lead to other decisions down the road that will hurt one's chances of being well off.

You know nothing about me. I was unemployed for a while. I do use a credit card when I buy my groceries, and I pay it off at the end of the month. I have never listened to the David Ramsey show. I also charge the cruises and pay them off before I go on the cruise.

I put some money away every month for large purchases or emergencies. Between unemployment, selling a few bonds, and temporary work I made it through the 6 1/2 months I was in between jobs. If that bothers you, that is your problem. I don't complain when some body spends $30,000 per month on wine, or buys every seat on a plane so he doesn't have to share with anyone else.

Your assumptions are completely wrong, I am not rich by any means, you miss the points I was making by a mile, but you are apparently very good at providing snarky comments.

And you know nothing about anybody else's finances on these boards, yet you felt compelled to use the phrase "you should" with respect to the personal finances of others, more than once, in your post witch also referred to those who's carry a credit card balance or live paycheck to paycheck as irresponsible.. So you're right, I know nothing about ... you except that you wrote these things - call that plain truth snarky if it floats your boat.

If one's aim is to be financially successful, perhaps. The decision process that led to the college loan may lead to other decisions down the road that will hurt one's chances of being well off.

Agree completely, especially with the your use of the word "may". Some experiences yield meaningful rewards long after they have past (along with their cost) and others are just a waste of money. Sure, spending tomorrow's money today cost more than spending today's money but that's only half the equation. The other side of the equation is the value of the experience. Unfortunately, these equations are not hard math and there is a great deal of subjectivity in determining if the tangible results of an experience are worth the added costs incurred when spending tomorrow's dollars. But that does not make those who make that determination irresponsible.

Also, I have nothing against Dave Ramsey or those who chose to live their lives according to his tenants.

We've done the "WE'RE DEBT FREE" Scream on more than one occasion (not on his show of course).

2nd kid headed to college overseas, will probably cost more than we planned for. Probably could have taken a few less cruises to be ready for it, but I didn't realize doing the "carpe diem" thing would make me irresponsible.

Edited by nealstuber