Is Paris worth the $300 pp change fee?

stickyshocker

We are a family of 4 cruising out of Venice on October and flights are already booked. Flying into Venice 2 days pre cruise and out of Amsterdam post cruise. Wife and i are debating on whether we should add Paris on our itinerary, the only catch of course is to cancel/change our flight and pay the penalty. It just so happen that i found a good price on multi city flights from cdg-vce-ams and back home... So would you do it?.. Thanks

ps: never been to Paris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would not do it if it were me, but that's just me. I purposely tried to avoid flying into Paris, and on Air France, due to unpredictability of striking workers. There always seems to be strikes in France. LOL

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I flew out of Paris last year and we had big delays, everything disorganized​, not enough workers. It turns out, there was a big soccer game and most employees decided to take the day off. Look into trains, they have great rates. We did NCL Spirit, 12 day from Venice to Barcelona. And we stayed in Rome, took train to Venice. And from Barcelona we used train to Paris. Then flew to US. The trains in Europe are great

Sent from my Coolpad 3622A using Forums mobile app

I would do it in a heartbeat :)

I know there are many people who don't care for the French so don't like Paris....but it is one of the GREAT cities of the world! I took my 10 year old granddaughter and her mom a couple of years ago and it was one of the most delightful trips in my life!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I appreciate all the infos.

I forgot to mention that it would be a 3 days stop to Paris.

We are on KLM right now versus WoW,Aer Lingus,Icelandair,Easyjet or AF if we found ourselves altering our itinerary.

Paris 3 days for $1200 is the puzzle right now, on a different angle that amount is cheaper if ever we decided to visit Paris on a separate trip... The special fare wont last long anyway, i just don't want to kick myself when this bonanza is gone. But then again its 3 days and its $1200.. *I need a coffee* lol

It really depends on it you will get there another time. It is a big city with the typical things big a big city can offer. If this will be your only shot to see it, I would go. If you will probably have the opportunity sometime in the future, I would pass on it

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I love France and visit three or four times a year. However, it is a big city with loads to see and do. Not to mention side trips to Giverny, Versailles, Rheims etc. I don't think 3 days will do it justice.

As already suggested combine it with London and take the Eurostar to travel between the cities. Then spend at least a week in each.

I guess it depends on the person. But consider DW who has traveled with me to more then 100 countries and been on far more then 100 cruises (some over 2 months long). Ask her which is her favorite city in the world...and the quick answer would be "Paris." Would we go to Paris for $300 per person? In a heartbeat....but we would want to stay at least a week. The longer stay suits us and also makes it easier to rent a furnished apartment rather then go to an expensive hotel that gives you a smallish room.

But not everyone likes Paris. We have a friend who hated his one visit to the city...with his complaint being "Paris is old."

Hank

I got plans and cruises penciled in for the next two years, none of them in Europe so i guess i wont hear the end of this(DW wants it) for the next two years.

Pros:

- Impossible to find a flight from Toronto to Paris for $300 pp

- Paris the icing on the cake

Cons:

- Only lasts for 3 days with one of them as recovery from a long flight.

- Smorgasbord of airlines just to keep my original itinerary.

Seems i am the first one who doesn`t think that Paris is worth a visit at all.

Been there two times and i simply don`t get why all those people love about this city.

Yes,it is a nice city.Yes,it has some beautiful and interesting places to visit.

But i don`t think that there is any place in or around Paris which must have been seen before one dies.

Seems i am the first one who doesn`t think that Paris is worth a visit at all.

Been there two times and i simply don`t get why all those people love about this city.

Yes,it is a nice city.Yes,it has some beautiful and interesting places to visit.

But i don`t think that there is any place in or around Paris which must have been seen before one dies.

Not all of us go to places for the "sites." So why do we love Paris. We could start with the amazing museums including the Louvre, Musee d'Orsay, Marmottan, Rodin, and at least a dozen more. Then there is the amazing food and wine...found on nearly every block. There is also the atmosphere which makes us enjoy walkiing for miles within the city. And then we could talk about shopping, whether it be in major stores or cute little boutiques and small venues. And, for those who do love sights there is certainly enough such as Notre Dame, Sacre Coeur, Champs Elysee, etc. And if one gets a little tired of the city they can take the RER out to Versailles or head over to Fountainbleau. Or perhaps a day trip all the way to Giverny would satisfy some Monet lovers. This is a city of so many fascinating neighborhoods (Arrondisements) that we often vary where we stay so we can better appreciate the nearby restaurants, night life, shopping, etc.

We have heard folks say they get bored with Paris, London, NYC, Rome, etc. The reality is that some folks are just not comfy in cities. For us, we love cities and also being outside cities....which is why we really enjoy our long self driving trips.

Hank

There is also the atmosphere which makes us enjoy walkiing for miles within the city..

Hank

This inadvertently made me entertain the thought of dedicating a week trip to Paris in the future instead. I always thought of it as a "selfie destination", but if it somehow comes close to matching the atmosphere in Japan and Cuba then i will start paying attention to it..

Not all of us go to places for the "sites." So why do we love Paris. We could start with the amazing museums including the Louvre, Musee d'Orsay, Marmottan, Rodin, and at least a dozen more. Then there is the amazing food and wine...found on nearly every block. There is also the atmosphere which makes us enjoy walkiing for miles within the city. And then we could talk about shopping, whether it be in major stores or cute little boutiques and small venues. And, for those who do love sights there is certainly enough such as Notre Dame, Sacre Coeur, Champs Elysee, etc. And if one gets a little tired of the city they can take the RER out to Versailles or head over to Fountainbleau. Or perhaps a day trip all the way to Giverny would satisfy some Monet lovers. This is a city of so many fascinating neighborhoods (Arrondisements) that we often vary where we stay so we can better appreciate the nearby restaurants, night life, shopping, etc.

We have heard folks say they get bored with Paris, London, NYC, Rome, etc. The reality is that some folks are just not comfy in cities. For us, we love cities and also being outside cities....which is why we really enjoy our long self driving trips.

Hank

Have to agree with all of that. I like France in general as it has a lot to offer and is near to home ( London) and easy for us to get to.

Although I think Paris has an awful lot to offer, it's not my favourite city, but it certainly deserves at least a week.

How old are your kids? Will they (and you) be "Europed out" after Venice and the cruise and Amsterdam and unable to appreciate another major tourist city? I don't know where your cruise is going, but you've got a very respectable itinerary already, and you would risk making the common mistake of wanting to squeeze too much into one European vacation.

Paris is nice, but it will still be there two years from now. (Well, hopefully…)

Personally, if I had the time and the opportunity to visit Paris (even for just 3 days), I would go for it! You can get a taste of Paris and a 'feel' for what you may wish to see on a longer visit - my guess is that you will return.

Although not my favorite city (I tend to favor classical antiquity), I find Paris beautiful, vibrant and fascinating. I think that Sainte Chapelle has the most stunning stained glass windows that I have ever seen and the Louvre is amazing.

How old are your kids? Will they (and you) be "Europed out" after Venice and the cruise and Amsterdam and unable to appreciate another major tourist city? I don't know where your cruise is going, but you've got a very respectable itinerary already, and you would risk making the common mistake of wanting to squeeze too much into one European vacation.

Paris is nice, but it will still be there two years from now. (Well, hopefully…)

Kids are 7 & 8 .. Cruisin to Greek Isles w/c also included a stop in Kotor.. We had a taste of this travel style last October wherein we flew from NY, spent days in Florida then to Oasis then post cruise at Niagara Falls and were left wanting for more.. But its hard to tell, this is Europe.

Stickyshocker

I think you will find Venice and Amsterdam much busier and hectic than Florida and Niagara Falls. There is a lot to see in both places and the pace of life is fast as in any large city. They're not quite as fast paced as NYC, London and Paris, but crowded and busy all year around.

So, an extension to Paris would not be a relaxing add on.

After absorbing all the helpful comments from you all, i decided to Stand Pat with my current itinerary. Thank You, for helping me resist the temptation.( i was really that close)

I'm just seeing your thread. I'm not a big fan of flying, so I think your new itinerary, with all those airlines, might have put me off just for that reason.

BUT as to Paris... PLEASE go there some day. It is a beautiful city, it's so wonderful just to walk and walk, sit in a cafe, have a nutella crepe from a street vendor, stroll along the Seine... It is one of the world's greatest cities. Go on a land trip, and give it the time it deserves.

Notre%20Dame%20at%20night_zpsrcstc4oj.jpg

Place%20des%20Vosges%20fountain%202smaller%201024x741_zpsf1ssxchm.jpg

(photos by turtles06)

So, where would you suggest to visit and why?

That's a very broad question and not one I'm going to answer. I couldn't wait to go to Paris and when I finally got there I found out that give or take, it's not much different from any other major European city. So would I pay $300pp to change a ticket and spend 3 days there? No, I wouldn't because I think it's overhyped.