Carnival Corp lost some $$$ tonight

VASOXFANN

;p

I have to say I am very impressed with the composure you were able to keep with all of the ridiculous accusations from people on here who jumped to conclusions and clearly did not comprehend what you were trying to say. I understood from the first post - you never once mentioned booking early saver or anything non refundable. I would have lost it long ago. :')

Anyway, I hope you enjoy your cruise on Celebrity. It's too bad Carnival has left a bad taste in your mouth and I don't blame you at all for bailing.

Unfortunately, in my profession, much of my time is spent being nice to people who I'd much rather throw bricks at :evilsmile: so I've had years of practice at it....hence the need to cruise a lot :cool:

This evening I tried to change a booking on which I already made a large payment and several payments to another, more expensive cruise. Carnival would not make the change without taking off my On-board booking OBC so I cancelled the entire booking and booked a less expensive cruise on Celebrity with prepaid gratuities and drink packages for both of us.

I'm sure Carnival will sell our stateroom, but these are the kinds of tactics that cost them loyal customers.

Allstate drivewise also has Celebrity Giftcards for 10% off. Winner, winner! :D

I read through the entire thread and it sounds to me that this is a blessing in disguise for you. Enjoy your Celebrity cruise with the perks they include! :)

I can't wait to try Celebrity when the opportunity arises.

I totally misunderstood what you were saying. It's happened before. You're a lawyer. Sue me ;) Lol.

Enjoy your replacement cruise on Celebrity. :) Been dying to get on one of their Solstice class ships. The only way to handle it is to vote with your wallet and walk away just like you did. I just don't think they care unfortunately

I read through the entire thread and it sounds to me that this is a blessing in disguise for you. Enjoy your Celebrity cruise with the perks they include! :)

I can't wait to try Celebrity when the opportunity arises.

Thanks. I'm thinking that too. It's looking like the DH and I are going to get an extra cruise (on a brand new ship) out of this disaster. :)

Happy cruising!

I totally misunderstood what you were saying. It's happened before. You're a lawyer. Sue me ;) Lol.

Enjoy your replacement cruise on Celebrity. :) Been dying to get on one of their Solstice class ships. The only way to handle it is to vote with your wallet and walk away just like you did. I just don't think they care unfortunately

It happens.

Thanks. :)

They probably don't, and they probably won't until it keeps happening. Time will tell. Happy sails!

Thanks. We're not planning on rolling on the floor. It'll be Alaska. A few beers, some Irish coffee, and wine with dinner is all we'll need :)

Wine with dinner is typically the issue. Most upgrade to get more selection on wine. I was ok with the standard package (many fewer choices than Carnival's package), DH upgraded which you can do on up until the 2nd to last night and only pay for the upgraded days.

I think you will enjoy Celebrity. We did.

I totally understood OP's original post and remarks, and am sad to hear that Carnival is taking this kind of stand on the book on board credit situation. We have always booked on board and changed our cruises with a past guest rate. Actually last year we changed to an entirely different ship (same itinerary) but less expensive cruise which saved us $400 (from Vista to Magic), and no problem whatsoever with transferring OBC. This year changed cabins on same ship but moved up to Spa Balcony from Spa Interior which was more ($500) however already received $80 price drop. This was all done just prior to these new terms going into effect. Again, no problem with transferring OBC (booked on board). I too would be very upset if they had decided to change their terms which I agreed to at the time of the original booking and were not honoring these from a previous booked cruise. Although it took some awhile to figure it out, thank-you for sharing this information and giving us a heads up with what seems to be their "new" policy. Hope you enjoy your new cruise and agree with others sometimes things happen for a reason. :D

It could very well be the rep and his supervisor didn't know how to change the cruise and keep the same booking number to pass the booking onboard credit to the new cruise. Or it could be that they didn't want to go through the hassle to change the booking. In March I booked a phantom cruise while on the Miracle for a cruise in 2019. Last month I changed it to a cruise I wanted for Nov 2018. It was accomplished but took the rep and the supervisor a good half hour to do it. I have done this three times now since the discontinuation of the Future Cruise Certificates. OP was not asking for Carnival to "bend" any rules as it has been allowed all along. If anyone has written proof of booking onboard credit not being transferable then by all means provide link to said documentation.

To the OP: if anyone, myself included, assumed you booked under Early Saver and therefore lost your deposit to Carnival, it's because you stated that they couldn't transfer your on-board booking OBC to a new booking. The non-transferable OBC received from booking onboard started with the new program, which was tested out on some ships and then rolled out fleet wide on May 8th. Under that program, you have to book Early Saver.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

To the OP: if anyone, myself included, assumed you booked under Early Saver and therefore lost your deposit to Carnival, it's because you stated that they couldn't transfer your on-board booking OBC to a new booking. The non-transferable OBC received from booking onboard started with the new program, which was tested out on some ships and then rolled out fleet wide on May 8th. Under that program, you have to book Early Saver.

I think this is where much of the confusion lies. The new program is indeed very restrictive and I will not be able to partake in it in the future because I cannot book early saver due to name change restrictions.

I think this is where much of the confusion lies. The new program is indeed very restrictive and I will not be able to partake in it in the future because I cannot book early saver due to name change restrictions.

I agree. I used the prior program all the time and the flexibility always worked for me. For me this puts Carnival at a competitive disadvantage and I probably will be looking at other cruise lines in the future but I hope to still cruise on Carnival.

Wine with dinner is typically the issue. Most upgrade to get more selection on wine. I was ok with the standard package (many fewer choices than Carnival's package), DH upgraded which you can do on up until the 2nd to last night and only pay for the upgraded days.

I think you will enjoy Celebrity. We did.

Interesting. I guess we'll see when we get on the ship.

I think it's great that they let one person upgrade and the other can remain with the basic package. What a concept :rolleyes: That would be great for us if DH finds some potion he can't live without. I'm usually fine with whatever is provided (I'm frugal) as long as it doesn't taste like vinegar rung out of a dishrag. :eek:

There are a whole slew of assumptions that would have to be made to reach that result, but whatever makes you feel better. I'm done arguing about this and have moved on to bluer waters.

I agree. I used the prior program all the time and the flexibility always worked for me. For me this puts Carnival at a competitive disadvantage and I probably will be looking at other cruise lines in the future but I hope to still cruise on Carnival.

Guess we also will no longer book onboard with the new restrictions. I did book ES on several of my cruise but no longer do so since Military is usually the same price.

In this case the rules prior to booking were that OBC would be transferred.

The rules are anytime a booking is opened for changes, it is repriced under current prices and conditions. One example is if you apply for a price reduction, Carnival will also apply any increases (or decreases) in port taxes and fees. If a previous rate isn't available, it isn't available.

I agree with others that this is a win for Carnival.

Guess we also will no longer book onboard with the new restrictions. I did book ES on several of my cruise but no longer do so since Military is usually the same price.

You don't have to book onboard. You can book up to 2 weeks after your cruise is over. IMO, you shouldn't book early saver unless you are certain you are going to go on the cruise. A primary reason for ES is price reduction availability after final payment.

The rules are anytime a booking is opened for changes, it is repriced under current prices and conditions. One example is if you apply for a price reduction, Carnival will also apply any increases (or decreases) in port taxes and fees. If a previous rate isn't available, it isn't available.

I agree with others that this is a win for Carnival.

You need to read the rest of the posts. They were NOT price matching to another rate. This was OBC for a booking that was made while onboard PRIOR to the changes that were recently made. Up until now any OBC you had for booking onboard WAS transferrable to another cruise hence people would book sleeper cruises.

I am extremely familiar with how the various rates work.

You don't have to book onboard. You can book up to 2 weeks after your cruise is over. IMO, you shouldn't book early saver unless you are certain you are going to go on the cruise. A primary reason for ES is price reduction availability after final payment.

The only rates now that are available for the OBC for booking onboard (or after) are ES. So if you want that special, you will be locked in to ES. No exceptions.

You need to read the rest of the posts. They were NOT price matching to another rate. This was OBC for a booking that was made while onboard PRIOR to the changes that were recently made. Up until now any OBC you had for booking onboard WAS transferrable to another cruise hence people would book sleeper cruises.

I am extremely familiar with how the various rates work.

It was just an example. The booking as it existed would have been honored. Once a change of any kind was requested, all bets, and OBC, are off.

Do the bookings made on board say that there can be no changes? If so then I don't know why you would expect them to do that. As you can see from my signature I am not "loyal" to one line and don't believe in sticking to one just to obtain a status. The perks given are not worth it to me to limit myself to just one cruise line. Carnival happens to be the most convenient because they sail from the closest ports to me.

My favorite so far was on Celebrity Solstice - I think you will love sailing on their ships, especially with the deal that you received.

I agree, My DW and I are not loyal to just one cruise line either. Is the price they (any cruise line) are offering in our price range? Is the itinerary what we are looking for? Who is giving us the most OBC? All these things matter to us. Now we will admit we did book our next cruise with Carnival 14 days Alaskan in 2018 because this booking (after its over) will make us gold. However I thought it was a good price for 14 days and received OBC. They also had the right ports on the itinerary, and not to mention the room we wanted was available. Nevertheless if Carnival were to piss us off (which is hard too do) I would not hesitate to switch cruise lines, and never use our gold status.