50 or younger, this not be the cruise line for you

Baddabing

I don't understand the grumbling of how old the passengers are. I have read disparaging remarks and reviews about nursing homes, walkers and scooters. I wonder if those griping will someday be courageous and adventurous enough to set sail when they are "old"!

I don't understand the grumbling of how old the passengers are. I have read disparaging remarks and reviews about nursing homes, walkers and scooters. I wonder if those griping will someday be courageous and adventurous enough to set sail when they are "old"!

That was our reaction when we saw all the "old people" on our first HAL cruise - you mean we still get to still sail when we get old? Yes! Thanks to all those who are showing us how to keep on cruising. You are amazing.

Me and my wife are mid 30's and enjoy HAL for this reason. We never have to "find" a spot at the bar. Nobody tries to strike up an empty conversation. We are there to relax and just enjoy each other's company. We enjoy having the ship mostly to ourselves after a certain hour. The level of service is higher than other lines than we have been on. Different strokes for different folks, as they say.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

First let me say we booked our cruise to see Alaska first and the on board activities second. Now after reading some reviews I have questioned our choice of cruise lines. The information below is from other reviewers not from us.

So if we are in our mid 50s is Holland America to old a crowd for us? Just looking at all the reviews it looks like the average age for a passenger on a Holland America cruise must be in their upper 70s to low 80s. If they are not in that age group the passengers may have health issues limiting their activities to get around. The reviewers on CC have said as far as entertainment there is little to none. Some have suggested to bring with you at least two good books. If I want to read a book I would not be choosing to go on a cruise to be reading, I m looking to be entertained. I have relatives in nursing homes that sit around and play bingo all day or for a sport they might try to play shuffleboard like in century village here in Fla. Passengers have been quoted as saying that these cruises are showing a lack of night life after 8PM. The following is a reviewers quote:" What we find lacking is the night life. It's worse now than 5 yrs ago. Last night by 8 pm there were a lot of empty lounges." Even the late night shows have been told to keep their acts geared to the elderly and not to be so risque. They were told to clean up their acts. There are numerous complaints about the lack of entertainment in the evening. For example it was said that if you are under 50 years old you may be understandably disappointed in all of the empty lounges at night.

Even the Holland America staff have admitted onstage that these cruises are similar to geriatric sailings. This one cruise director has instructed the passengers on a Eurodam sailing that after being in port tomorrow "that we had to be back on board by 1230. She then says "it's the perfect time to come back...you all can have lunch then you'll have the whole afternoon to take a nap"! I know that in many of the nursing homes here they do like to have their residents take naps. We want to have activities available when not in port, not to be told to take a nap. WOW..

Well will be cruising in a couple of weeks and plan to stay at the BBKing or Billboard until last call. We will let you know if this was a restful cruise or an active cruise.

I am almost thinking the statement above is a lark. We starting sailing with HAL in our forties, we are now in our fifties, very active, work full time, over 110 days on HAL, always have a great time with people are own age and older. People who travel HAL especially the older ones are very interesting people, great to speak with.

60 is the new 40! ;)

On our last Royal transatlantic there was a guy we got to know pretty well who was maybe 20 years younger (maybe 35 at the time) and he was struggling to find enough things to do there. Bouncing from one thing to another all day and into the night but eventually said RCCL was boring. I shudder to think what he would think of HAL. He said he mostly cruised NCL because there was "so much to do." :eek: I think for him Carnival or NCL would be better and never HAL.

We liked HAL last time (it's been awhile) for exactly the relaxing sophistication you won't find on other mainstream lines and we can't afford the high-end "all inclusive" lines.

I have found that a number of the "old" folks on HAL have lived long enough to have experiences worth learning about. Having outgrown the need for non-stop external stimulation, I am able to enjoy the slower pace which seems to alienate some. This is a win-win - no judgement involved: but I am happy for the people who find continuous stimulation on other lines - isn't it good that all lines do not try to be all things to all people?

OP, I submit for your consideration, that instead of posting others' opinions of sailing HAL as your own, you wait until you can post a first-hand opinion of your own. What you posted may or may not be what you would say after you cruise.

Ok, normally I do not post to many responses on the board, but I felt I must on this particular posting. If you take a moment and re-read the OP...you will notice that the writer was just quoting comments of the ship from previous and current passengers. OP never stated that this was "their" opinion of the ship, nor ANY mention of passengers being too old for them! There was mention on a posting today of the CD on current run to Alaska making a rude reference about passengers having to have nap time, night life being inadequate, etc!! So I think before people go and unjustly attack a posting, they should read entire content, especially since it was in the very first few sentences of OP that these were comments made from others not writer of this post. He/she said they Chose HAL for the itinerary NOT the ship activities!

We like HAL best--great ports, multi-generational families, interesting people, good food, great service, and lounges with live music. Fewer unsupervised kids running in the halls; seldom elderly people who don't outdo me everyday. Especially Alaska. Throw me in that briar patch.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That was our reaction when we saw all the "old people" on our first HAL cruise - you mean we still get to still sail when we get old? Yes! Thanks to all those who are showing us how to keep on cruising. You are amazing.

That's how I feel, too! Some people look at HAL as God's waiting room, but I see it as a hideout where we can look up and say "Nope, not goin' yet, God!"

We've been sailing on HAL since I was 28 and my wife was 26. I'm now 54 and my wife is holding at 39. On our last HAL cruise, the average passenger was younger than us. (It was the week before Christmas on the Eurodam.) We've tried other cruise lines with both younger (think RCCL) and older (think Silversea) passengers. We happen to think HAL is a good fit for us.

The entertainment schedule on the Eurodam runs until 11:30 pm for BB King Band and the pianists in Billboard Onboard. We had two late night comedy shows which started at 11 pm. They weren't "clean" comedy, but it wasn't a nonstop rock and roll F bomb party either. At 11:30, after the last BB King set, there was a DJ who played until 12:30 am or later, depending on the crowd. The Gallery Bar was open until at least midnight.

We rarely went to bed before midnight and there were always people still out and about.

If raucous night life is important to you, then choose Carnival or Royal.

When you read a review that tells you that the bars are empty at 8:00, bear in mind that the writer is looking at the bars while late (main) seating is just starting in the MDR. We typically dine at that time and it's physically impossible to be in the bar and at the dining table at the same time. We don't usually finish dinner until after 9. We almost always go to the last BB King show of the night. It runs from 10:45 until 11:30 and I've never seen it not packed.

I will agree that you'll find an older crowd on any long itinerary. Those of us in the workforce don't usually have 3 weeks to devote to a cruise.

I look forward to the posts by POA1 (and OlsSalt as well): You two are my current gold standard for cruising comments. I will turn 55 on this cruise and we will earn our 4th star on our cruise to the ABC's this November. We have been known to dance our way to dinner, We laugh often and and meet a lot of people on board and have kept in contact with them too. Some older, some younger. It's all the same to us-we are people people. I am not looking to have anyone's experience but my own. Vacation is ,for me, floating in and around the ocean, sitting on my balcony, or occupying the gym, spa, ship, and am happy to share. Okay, i dislike Jacuzzi bubbles, they make the pool cold, but if you are married to the idea, go ahead and active them. it is a common area; who am i to blow against the wind? I love it all. and look forward to cruising again and again.. An experience, so wonderful, yet so grand at the same time,as if to be miraculous...

Well, you will be spending a good amount of time on the ship so I guess it matters somewhat?

Subtract the time sleeping, eating, being on your balcony, on deck, in the covered Lido pool area or in the Crows Nest just viewing Alaska or the Inland Passage, one may actually wish for some down time.

I look forward to the posts by POA1 (and OlsSalt as well): You two are my current gold standard for cruising comments. I will turn 55 on this cruise and we will earn our 4th star on our cruise to the ABC's this November. We have been known to dance our way to dinner, We laugh often and and meet a lot of people on board and have kept in contact with them too. Some older, some younger. It's all the same to us-we are people people. I am not looking to have anyone's experience but my own. Vacation is ,for me, floating in and around the ocean, sitting on my balcony, or occupying the gym, spa, ship, and am happy to share. Okay, i dislike Jacuzzi bubbles, they make the pool cold, but if you are married to the idea, go ahead and active them. it is a common area; who am i to blow against the wind? I love it all. and look forward to cruising again and again.. An experience, so wonderful, yet so grand at the same time,as if to be miraculous...

Thank you for your nice comments. I enjoy POA's insights and deft comments too.

Congratulations on your 4 Star and now coming home with clean laundry, instead of a suitcase of the other stuff. 4 stars means you too have tested HAL in depth and continue to find HAL offers a very special cruising experience.

Yes, count me among those who do have brand loyalty - but maybe that is because HAL prices and itineraries keeps winning us over every time we look for some place new to go.

Or even now revisiting old ports, since about the only unexplored part of the world place HAL has not yet taken us is the Five Stans. So unless there is a heck of a lot more sea level rise, it looks like HAL won't be taking us there for a long, long time.

I am under 50, and have already done 6 HAL cruises. It depends more on what you want from the experience, than how old you are. We usually do quite port intensive itineraries, so on a sea day I am happy to go for a swim, talk a long walk around the promenade deck, indulge in some afternoon tea, and yes even read a book for a couple of hours. It's good to recharge your batteries ready for the next port.

In the evenings, dinner in the MDR usually takes a couple of hours (although personally I wish it was a little quicker) after that we like to sit with a drink and people watch, or play cards. Our next cruise is the Norwegian Fjords with plenty of scenery to entertain us anyway, and from what I remember Alaska was the same. I cruise to see the world, and if I need to I can entertain myself.

Ok, normally I do not post to many responses on the board, but I felt I must on this particular posting. If you take a moment and re-read the OP...you will notice that the writer was just quoting comments of the ship from previous and current passengers. OP never stated that this was "their" opinion of the ship, nor ANY mention of passengers being too old for them! There was mention on a posting today of the CD on current run to Alaska making a rude reference about passengers having to have nap time, night life being inadequate, etc!! So I think before people go and unjustly attack a posting, they should read entire content, especially since it was in the very first few sentences of OP that these were comments made from others not writer of this post. He/she said they Chose HAL for the itinerary NOT the ship activities!

I don't think these posters are attacking OP. They are responding to a request to confirm/deny the reports that OP had heard. And they are not "attacking" anyone. They are rebutting with observations from their own experiences.

In the evenings, dinner in the MDR usually takes a couple of hours (although personally I wish it was a little quicker) after that we like to sit with a drink and people watch, or play cards. ........

We have found with the new combined appetizer-soup course, we are always out of the MDR in about an hour now - in the late fixed dining option. 1. Appetizer or soup; 2. entree. 3 Dessert. If one wants both the appetizer and a the soup course, this will add additional time. And this could be a feature of the less impacted 8pm fixed dining setting as well. We also show up on time for our 8pm seating which gets us in the first service queue.

A few years ago, dinners did indeed take up to two hours but on our last several cruises we are typically out by 9pm - which means we no longer go to any of the main theater shows which start at 10pm. We are among those who retire early after a few after-dinner strolls around the ship.

Well, I sure wish someone had told me twelve years ago, when I was 45 and had just started cruising, that I was too young for HAL. Could have saved me a ton of money over the years:D But hey, I've got my 4 stars, and am "working" towards my 5 stars, so life is good:D LOL

We have found with the new combined appetizer-soup course, we are always out of the MDR in about an hour now - in the late fixed dining option. 1. Appetizer or soup; 2. entree. 3 Dessert. If one wants both the appetizer and a the soup course, this will add additional time. And this could be a feature of the less impacted 8pm fixed dining setting as well. We also show up on time for our 8pm seating which gets us in the first service queue.

The last time I used the MDR, I was with a small group [12] we had two couples that liked to order 3 or 4 appetizers. Since appetizers have never enticed me [i usually can't find anything I like] I ended up waiting almost an hour for my entree. I learned to always sit at the other table - especially if I was particularly hungry that day. I didn't mind that they had that many appetizers, it was just they had to finish each one for the next round was even brought. I like the buffet setup better.

We've been sailing on HAL since I was 28 and my wife was 26. I'm now 54 and my wife is holding at 39. On our last HAL cruise, the average passenger was younger than us. (It was the week before Christmas on the Eurodam.) We've tried other cruise lines with both younger (think RCCL) and older (think Silversea) passengers. We happen to think HAL is a good fit for us.

The entertainment schedule on the Eurodam runs until 11:30 pm for BB King Band and the pianists in Billboard Onboard. We had two late night comedy shows which started at 11 pm. They weren't "clean" comedy, but it wasn't a nonstop rock and roll F bomb party either. At 11:30, after the last BB King set, there was a DJ who played until 12:30 am or later, depending on the crowd. The Gallery Bar was open until at least midnight.

We rarely went to bed before midnight and there were always people still out and about.

If raucous night life is important to you, then choose Carnival or Royal.

When you read a review that tells you that the bars are empty at 8:00, bear in mind that the writer is looking at the bars while late (main) seating is just starting in the MDR. We typically dine at that time and it's physically impossible to be in the bar and at the dining table at the same time. We don't usually finish dinner until after 9. We almost always go to the last BB King show of the night. It runs from 10:45 until 11:30 and I've never seen it not packed.

I will agree that you'll find an older crowd on any long itinerary. Those of us in the workforce don't usually have 3 weeks to devote to a cruise.

I agree. On my first HAL cruise, we met a bride and groom who had chosen this cruise line for their honeymoon (after sailing this and other cruise lines) because of the ambience, food, entertainment, and lack of "drunks" having to contend with as they did on others. Because of my great experience on the first one, I am sailing again on Westerdam in 1 week.