50 or younger, this not be the cruise line for you

Baddabing

First let me say we booked our cruise to see Alaska first and the on board activities second. Now after reading some reviews I have questioned our choice of cruise lines. The information below is from other reviewers not from us.

So if we are in our mid 50s is Holland America to old a crowd for us? Just looking at all the reviews it looks like the average age for a passenger on a Holland America cruise must be in their upper 70s to low 80s. If they are not in that age group the passengers may have health issues limiting their activities to get around. The reviewers on CC have said as far as entertainment there is little to none. Some have suggested to bring with you at least two good books. If I want to read a book I would not be choosing to go on a cruise to be reading, I m looking to be entertained. I have relatives in nursing homes that sit around and play bingo all day or for a sport they might try to play shuffleboard like in century village here in Fla. Passengers have been quoted as saying that these cruises are showing a lack of night life after 8PM. The following is a reviewers quote:" What we find lacking is the night life. It's worse now than 5 yrs ago. Last night by 8 pm there were a lot of empty lounges." Even the late night shows have been told to keep their acts geared to the elderly and not to be so risque. They were told to clean up their acts. There are numerous complaints about the lack of entertainment in the evening. For example it was said that if you are under 50 years old you may be understandably disappointed in all of the empty lounges at night.

Even the Holland America staff have admitted onstage that these cruises are similar to geriatric sailings. This one cruise director has instructed the passengers on a Eurodam sailing that after being in port tomorrow "that we had to be back on board by 1230. She then says "it's the perfect time to come back...you all can have lunch then you'll have the whole afternoon to take a nap"! I know that in many of the nursing homes here they do like to have their residents take naps. We want to have activities available when not in port, not to be told to take a nap. WOW..

Well will be cruising in a couple of weeks and plan to stay at the BBKing or Billboard until last call. We will let you know if this was a restful cruise or an active cruise.

I think these reviews went a bit overboard, excuse the pun. We started cruising with HAL in our early 40s and have continued to do all our cruising with HAL. I guess if you want constant noise, zip lines, rock climbing, water slides, etc, an kids running around all day, HAL is not for you. If you want a more laid back cruising experience then give HAL a try. There are times where there is so much to do you won't be able to do them all...I am talking lectures, movies, workshops, etc. Not everyone on the ship is ready for the nursing home. We are in our late 60s now, but when I get to the point where I move a little slower and maybe need a scooter to get around, I hope there are people who are a bit more accepting of aging than you seem to be. HAL does a wonderful job of accommodating people with disabilities and those that move a bit slower

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I started cruising with HAL in my early 40's and now I'm in my early 50's. Still love HAL. But I am one who self entertains and doesn't need to be entertained. Yes, I take part in some activities but not all. I also indulge in the occasional nap. As I'm still working, that's luxury to me to be able to nap during the day. All that being said, I am also an early to bed, early to rise person so the lack of nightlife isn't as much of a concern to me.

Since it's too late to cancel your cruise, not that you indicated that you want to, just go and experience HAL for yourself. You might be pleasantly surprised. I think HAL does Alaska very well so even if you don't enjoy the ship experience as much, you'll still have a grand time in the Great Land! I hope you have a wonderful cruise!

Just re-read your post. One reason why there could be a lack of people in lounges at 8 pm is there is usually a show in the main showroom at 8 pm and that's the time for main dining. So, a good chunk of people are in the MDR and another good chunk of people are in the show lounge. That doesn't leave a lot of people left to be in the lounges. 9/9:30 pm would tell a different story, I would think as some would be done with their dinner and out of the showroom.

Edited by Alberta Quilter

I guess the adage "don't believe everything you read" is appropriate here. I was in my 40s and over worked, over stressed, and craving exactly what HAL provided. It is all in what you want in your vacation.

Personally, I don't care how old people are, it is how old they act. I wanted a break from noise, lines, compressed bodies all trying to get ahead of me like subway riders as the doors open in rush hour.

Our first family cruise was on HAL to Alaska. We have tried 4 other lines but HAL has provided what we want in our vacation. Only you can say if it is right for you and what you want with yours.

First let me say we booked our cruise to see Alaska first and the on board activities second. Now after reading some reviews I have questioned our choice of cruise lines. The information below is from other reviewers not from us.

So if we are in our mid 50s is Holland America to old a crowd for us? Just looking at all the reviews it looks like the average age for a passenger on a Holland America cruise must be in their upper 70s to low 80s. If they are not in that age group the passengers may have health issues limiting their activities to get around. The reviewers on CC have said as far as entertainment there is little to none. Some have suggested to bring with you at least two good books. If I want to read a book I would not be choosing to go on a cruise to be reading, I m looking to be entertained. I have relatives in nursing homes that sit around and play bingo all day or for a sport they might try to play shuffleboard like in century village here in Fla. Passengers have been quoted as saying that these cruises are showing a lack of night life after 8PM. The following is a reviewers quote:" What we find lacking is the night life. It's worse now than 5 yrs ago. Last night by 8 pm there were a lot of empty lounges." Even the late night shows have been told to keep their acts geared to the elderly and not to be so risque. They were told to clean up their acts. There are numerous complaints about the lack of entertainment in the evening. For example it was said that if you are under 50 years old you may be understandably disappointed in all of the empty lounges at night.

Even the Holland America staff have admitted onstage that these cruises are similar to geriatric sailings. This one cruise director has instructed the passengers on a Eurodam sailing that after being in port tomorrow "that we had to be back on board by 1230. She then says "it's the perfect time to come back...you all can have lunch then you'll have the whole afternoon to take a nap"! I know that in many of the nursing homes here they do like to have their residents take naps. We want to have activities available when not in port, not to be told to take a nap. WOW..

Well will be cruising in a couple of weeks and plan to stay at the BBKing or Billboard until last call. We will let you know if this was a restful cruise or an active cruise.

If you are young and expect to be entertained on board instead enjoying where you are going, this is not a cruise line for you. Nor should it have ever been suggested to you with those criteria in mind. There are plenty of other cruise lines to choose from - why not Carnival - much more high energy and appeals to younger passengers.

My humble opinion is that if you "do" Alaska properly, you will not be terribly concerned about the age of other passengers. You might find yourself a bit tired out, from being up at dawn to watch for whales, hiking while on shore, canoeing or kayaking or ????, staying up late hanging on the rail again looking for whales, or taking in the immense beauty, or marveling at the late-night light -- doing things that add to your experience of Alaska. You might even feel the need for a nap ;)

We are a bit younger than you, and I can't remember the last time we partied on an Alaska cruise. There's just so much ALASKA....

I hope you have a fabulous time, however you spend your time on your cruise. :)

From the reviews I have read recently there is a difference in entertainment ship to ship. Alaska is also a season where all ages are traveling, 6 months to over 100 YO. Our only Alaska cruise was on Celebrity when our children were young but Alaska is the big show, not the on board entertainment. Individuals who want on-board dawn to sunset entertainment should probably look beyond HAL but if you have BBKings and Billboard to enjoy you should have great evenings. A cruise is what you make it and if you have done your homework you have chosen the best cruise for you, not the cruise best for someone else. My first HAL cruise was with three 16-18 year olds, one of the best cruises we have ever had. Sooooooo much fun. Have a great time. Cherie

Balderdash! Yes, Holland America attracts a more discriminating, well-traveled crowd. This usually equates to being older. That being said, I cannot think of a HAL cruise we've been on that didn't have a number of younger couples on board, including those with small children. The "oldest" cruise in my memory was a Princess sailing through the Panama Canal.

Ever see the perception test that's a piece of white paper with a black dot in the middle? Most folks, when asked what they see, will refer to the black dot ... not the vastly larger area of white. Folks see what they want to see, or what they have been conditioned to see.

As others have said, Alaska in port intensive, lots to see and do, even nice scenery viewed from the ship. Age demographic will vary from cruise to cruise, in general, the longer the cruise the older the age. During school vacation times, you will often see families with children. There is some truth to limited entertainment after ten PM. Believe BBKings do some late shows.

Think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Our "adopted" daughter and her husband just came back from their first-ever cruise on the Oosterdam to Alaska. They had a wonderful time and are looking to book another one - on Holland America. They are 32 and 35 years old. They enjoyed the food, the bars, the Billboard on Board pianos, the BB King Lounge, the shore excursions, the production numbers, and the quiet time they could spend together when they wanted. They also enjoyed sitting with different couples at anytime dining and made some friends in their age range, and one couple in their early 60's. I think a cruise is what you make of it - sure, you can nap 24/7 if you want, but you can also burn the candle at both ends and come home for a rest. You decide.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

We've been sailing on HAL since I was 28 and my wife was 26. I'm now 54 and my wife is holding at 39. On our last HAL cruise, the average passenger was younger than us. (It was the week before Christmas on the Eurodam.) We've tried other cruise lines with both younger (think RCCL) and older (think Silversea) passengers. We happen to think HAL is a good fit for us.

The entertainment schedule on the Eurodam runs until 11:30 pm for BB King Band and the pianists in Billboard Onboard. We had two late night comedy shows which started at 11 pm. They weren't "clean" comedy, but it wasn't a nonstop rock and roll F bomb party either. At 11:30, after the last BB King set, there was a DJ who played until 12:30 am or later, depending on the crowd. The Gallery Bar was open until at least midnight.

We rarely went to bed before midnight and there were always people still out and about.

If raucous night life is important to you, then choose Carnival or Royal.

When you read a review that tells you that the bars are empty at 8:00, bear in mind that the writer is looking at the bars while late (main) seating is just starting in the MDR. We typically dine at that time and it's physically impossible to be in the bar and at the dining table at the same time. We don't usually finish dinner until after 9. We almost always go to the last BB King show of the night. It runs from 10:45 until 11:30 and I've never seen it not packed.

I will agree that you'll find an older crowd on any long itinerary. Those of us in the workforce don't usually have 3 weeks to devote to a cruise.

We purposely chose to cruise Alaska in early September with the understanding that with kids back/going back to school, we won't see many, if any children/ families. And in our early 50's, we're ok with that. If you are sailing in the summer, you will see a different demo, I'm sure.

Alaska is the attraction here - you'll be fine

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Another factor is the number of at-sea days your cruise will have - that is when the "take two good books" is a reasonable suggestion.

Used to be the grand HAL libraries would always tantalize with onboard reading selection for those long day at sea, but selections are now more limited if the grand library still exists onboard.

But if your cruise has few to no at-sea days there is no reason to think this suggestion was meant for your cruise. You will find a lot of e-book readers today on the longer HAL ships - my kind of people, if not yours.

As my then 24 year old daughter who has been cruising with us since she was 17 months said on her first HAL cruise,"Mom, you've been holding out on me."

It depend on what you are looking for in a cruise line and fellow cruisers. If you need constant alcohol and blasting music to have a good time and fellow passengers who leave home and expect everything to still be like home, HAL is not for you.

Me too. I'm hoping it's not one of those hit 'n' run posts with a provocative title.

That makes two in just one day. Sounds like a re-run of the Best Exotic Marigold Hotel movie. HAL ships are now 3rd world rest homes. Maybe we are hitting the cruise competition more than we think?

We always book the itinerary. That is it.

I read a lot because I cannot maintain a significant amount of going and doing. Karen and I will go ashore and see and do; and then return to the ship to relax. We just completed a 15-day Ft. Lauderdale to Montreal. Lots of short time and several days when we were not in port. I read 6 books in those 15 days. Our combined beverage bill was almost $60/day. We spent a lot of time in the lounges!

Book the itinerary and join the roll call, you'll have friends before you get on the ship.

Jim

Hopefully OP will post again with a response to all comments.

Me too. I'm hoping it's not one of those hit 'n' run posts with a provocative title.

In fairness, the OP started this thread about 5 or so hours ago. Not everyone can be at the computer or on CC frequently or uninterruptedly. The OP has made multiple posts on the HAL forum. I expect he/she will be back to this thread when he/she is able to.

60 is the new 40! ;)

If raucous night life is important to you, then choose Carnival or Royal.

On our last Royal transatlantic there was a guy we got to know pretty well who was maybe 20 years younger (maybe 35 at the time) and he was struggling to find enough things to do there. Bouncing from one thing to another all day and into the night but eventually said RCCL was boring. I shudder to think what he would think of HAL. He said he mostly cruised NCL because there was "so much to do." :eek: I think for him Carnival or NCL would be better and never HAL.

We liked HAL last time (it's been awhile) for exactly the relaxing sophistication you won't find on other mainstream lines and we can't afford the high-end "all inclusive" lines.