When your Roll Call group is small

AnnetteSC

I've noticed that some of you are aware of when other ships arrive in the same ports as your cruise. Where do you find this information? Also, if the roll call for your cruise is small, do you try to get a tour filled by going to the other ships' (in the same port) roll call?

Thanks!

I've noticed that some of you are aware of when other ships arrive in the same ports as your cruise. Where do you find this information? Also, if the roll call for your cruise is small, do you try to get a tour filled by going to the other ships' (in the same port) roll call?

Thanks!

I use cruisecal.com for the port schedules.

I've noticed that some of you are aware of when other ships arrive in the same ports as your cruise. Where do you find this information?

Here is another one. But beware, sometimes the info is not completely accurate.

Also, if the roll call for your cruise is small, do you try to get a tour filled by going to the other ships' (in the same port) roll call?

Thanks!

I guess that could work.

Thanks!

We use http://www.cruisetimetables.com/ to monitor ships at port.

No, we don't invite passengers from other ships to fill up a tour.

Thanks!

Hi Annette

As far as inviting people from other cruise lines on other roll calls to join tours that you are trying to organize...I don't think it is a good idea.

The main reason is that although ships may be scheduled to be in the same port at the same time there is no guarantee that it will actually happen. Ship schedules get changed, weather...etc...etc. I personally would not consider going along with you unless you were not informing me of the real situation.

The other reason (more important to this website) is that it is not allowed according to this websites guidelines for posting to roll calls. Here is a link. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=44773

hope this helps

I wouldn't want to bother with another ship which could have different schedules for arriving and leaving.

If its a really small roll call I just look for a tour company that I can book independently. Sometimes I will rent a car for true DIY.

I've heard than a lot of roll calls have gone to Facebook, but I have never figured out how to find a roll call there. I have of course found the cruise line's Facebook, but not roll calls.

Ironically while I have never tried to arrange shared excursions with folks on other ships, on at least two occasions that I can remember where I booked private excursions the tour company picked up passengers from my ship as well as another. This happened on an overnight in SPB years ago when most cruise passengers were not yet willing to try private tours given the ships "warnings" and also in Skagway on a small group tour to the Yukon. Worked okay as the ships schedules were parallel, although the Skagway trip was delayed because one of the other passengers did not believe when told she had to bring her passport.

Hi Annette

As far as inviting people from other cruise lines on other roll calls to join tours that you are trying to organize...I don't think it is a good idea. ... ... ...

The other reason (more important to this website) is that it is not allowed according to this websites guidelines for posting to roll calls. Here is a link. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=44773

hope this helps

That link does not say you may not post in another ship's roll call looking for tour participants. It says you may not post in other forums looking for participants. Posting in another ship's roll call is not posting in another forum since the OP would still be in the Roll Call forum. Just in a different thread.

That link does not say you may not post in another ship's roll call looking for tour participants. It says you may not post in other forums looking for participants. Posting in another ship's roll call is not posting in another forum since the OP would still be in the Roll Call forum. Just in a different thread.

I guess you could interpret it that way, but...the way it is phrased says "We ask that you keep your Roll Call type discussions on your Roll Call thread...etc.", so it would be up to the administrators to decide.

My original issue with soliciting participants from another roll call still stands. As long as everyone understands that the people they are making arrangements with are not sailing on their ship, that would be their decision to make, but they have to know there could be complications. That is why I said I would never knowingly consider making arrangements with someone not sailing on the same ship as myself.

I guess you could interpret it that way, but...the way it is phrased says "We ask that you keep your Roll Call type discussions on your Roll Call thread...

You are the one emphasizing the word 'your' in Roll Call thread whereas the rules emphasize forums. The moderators do not want tour requests posted in a particular cruise line forum, nor in Ask A Cruise Question forum, nor in First Time Cruiser forum etc.

Edited by NMLady

Also you mentioned your roll call being small. Be sure to check other places for a roll call. Our roll call here on CC has I think 23 people for our upcoming sailing in 2 weeks. Our roll call on "other websites that can't be mentioned here but their logo is blue and white" has 145 people and is VERY active. You may check for your sailing as well.

I agree with those who said they would not arrange a private tour with the passengers of a different ship. Our tour operator suggested this to reduce the cost for our family. The other ship was already in port and we saw their busses leaving while authorities had not yet cleared our ship for disembarkation. Quite a while later, we were the first off our ship. The other family would have had to wait about an hour for us.

A private operator may combine passengers from different ships and hopefully the timing works out for everybody. I wouldn't want the responsibility of arranging this myself via roll calls.

Thanks for all your advice. True, not all ship in port will be on the same schedule so better keep to our own. Unfortunately, our roll call is not only small, but also all set with the excursions. We booked late and now it's hard to put together a tour.

Thanks!

I am trying to do this but it is for a tour one day before we board the ship. I have posted it on the boards of 2 cruises that will also be boarding the day after the tour. We will see how it goes.

DON