Glacier Bay from the aft

I'm curious if you point things out to people you don't know in real life, when those things have no bearing on the conversation, to feel superior.

Geez lighten up, Cheng is a great asset to C.C. with technical posts. Don't get all huffy.:cool:

Geez lighten up, Cheng is a great asset to C.C. with technical posts. Don't get all huffy.:cool:
Not taking anything away from chengkp75's technical posts, but he could lighten up, too. Seriously, we shouldn't say "the aft of the ship" but we should say "the after cabins"? :eek:

Have you ever been to Glacier Bay? In my experience for Glacier Bay, cruise ships DO open the bow to passengers. It is an exception to the no passengers rule.

Also on Panama Canal transits - the restricted bow area reserved for crew recreation is open.*

*Note these are not Handicap Accessible usually involving narrow passageways and stairs.

But check out all the angles decks to determine if binoculars telephoto lens cameras and what to do and

where to go if the weather gets suddenly nasty either in the liquid factor or wind driven freeze dried blasts off the glacier.

Advised to layer up or hunker down inside the ship for the photo opt. For those of Norwegian blood this is the

next best thing to a bikini beach party ! LOL !

The normal scenario is a National Parks Ranger comes onboard and narrates about the glaciers as the ship

moves closer in to perhaps see the calving of glacier ice. The Captain directs the crew to turn the ship in such

a way that everyone except those in inside cabins gets a view of the glacier field *.

* those in inside cabins can turn the in cabin TV on for a brief glimpse of wherever the ships camera is facing.

Depending on the weather and the rest of the scheduled itinerary of the ship that day may determine how long

the ship stays to see the glacier.

I have been told that there is a limit of the number of ships that can visit the glaciers daily.

So for those in the front aka BOW of the ship you will see the glaciers up front and personal and for those

in the aft (STERN) of the ship will see the glaciers fading from view on the sail away.

NO PICKING THE NITS allowed here ! - Well if you have to "Go ahead and make my day" !

The abominable snowman sheds complaints off like calving ice in showered fjord ! Cool !

Just a pet peeve of mine, but "aft" is an adjective or adverb, not a noun, so "the aft" doesn't exist. "The stern" or "the after cabins" would be more correct. Just picking nits.

Cheng, I understand completely. Certain grammatical errors truly grate on me too, so I get it. When adjectives are used as nouns, I notice it as well. My biggest pet peeve, though, is the remarkable number of seemingly educated people who use reflexive pronouns as subjects. Things like..."my friend and myself went on a cruise" really set my teeth on edge!

You call it nit picking, and I call it mourning the decline of literacy. Same thing!

Judy

Edited by foxgoodrich

Cheng, I understand completely. Certain grammatical errors truly grate on me too, so I get it. When adjectives are used as nouns, I notice it as well. My biggest pet peeve, though, is the remarkable number of seemingly educated people who use reflexive pronouns as subjects. Things like..."my friend and myself went on a cruise" really set my teeth on edge!

You call it nit picking, and I call it mourning the decline of literacy. Same thing!

Judy

Actually, there is no decline in literacy in the original post, and there is no call for this to burn your bread, nor should it activate your biggest pet peeve. A remarkable number of "seemingly educated people," including the editors of the Chicago Manual of Style and Merriam-Webster Dictionary Editor Neil Serven, both agree that adjective to noun transitions are usually acceptable following the word "the." These words remain adjectives, the noun that the adjective is modifying is omitted, but when it is a word commonly used and the noun is easily implied, it is acceptable.

"Feed the poor." (People.)

"Donate to the homeless." (People.)

"Eat the rich." (People.)

"Prayers for the sick." (People.)

"Help for the helpless." (Puppies and kitties.)

"Punish the guilty." (Losers.)

"He is working through the unimaginable." (Situation.)

"I am taking this for a postmortem." (Examination.)

"The bold and the beautiful." (People.)

"The meek shall inherit." (People.)

"A word to the wise." (People.)

"Tax breaks for the uninsured." (People.)

"The blind leading the blind." (People.)

"The young and the restless." (People.)

"The naked and the dead."(people.)

"I like it in the aft."(section of the ship.)

I'm going to consider this hijacked section of my post dead, and that you lovely logophiles* (that word means "word lovers," but the Greek "logos" means not only words but also "speech" and "reason.") learned something new today, aside from the fact that it is rude to insert yourself into a conversation only to point out what you perceive as another persons unrelated shortcomings.

"[emoji1309][emoji441],"as the kids say.

Please note that Emojis are not proper English and I am so sorry for using them, may NCL and Cruise Critic forgiven me for my sin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have to be careful with that last one...

"I like it in the aft."

Go enjoy the aft in Alaska.

Thank you. On the breakaway last summer that was our slogan in our cabin. The "it" being the extra balcony space. [emoji6]

Hi there,

This time next year I will be just a few days back from my 40th birthday cruise. I splurged for a

One of the coveted 10th deck big aft balcony (solo) and I think I would really like to spend a lot of time on it. Has anyone here viewed glacier bay from their aft balconies? Am I losing anything by doing this? Do you have photos to share?

In general, when there are things to see (sail away, coming into/leaving ports) am I missing anything back here?

Would love photos!

A balcony on the stern of the ship is probably the worst place to see a place like Glacier Bay. That is best enjoyed from a position on one of the upper most decks where you can mve from side to side.

A balcony on the stern of the ship is probably the worst place to see a place like Glacier Bay. That is best enjoyed from a position on one of the upper most decks where you can mve from side to side.

Per the 12 images posted above, I disagree with you.

And it's not an either/or proposition. They do not confine you to your aft balcony.

Glacier Bay is a day-long affair.

Here's what Glacier Bay looks like when you go hang out with the throngs of people at the Spinnaker Lounge. Compare these to what is posted above.

gb-spin-1.jpg

gb-spin-2.jpg

gb-spin-3.jpg

I'll take my large private aft balcony with unobstructed sweeping 180* views, thank you very much.

Edited by triptolemus

And it's not an either/or proposition. They do not confine you to your aft balcony.

Here's what Glacier Bay looks like when you go hang out with the throngs of people at the Spinnaker Lounge. Compare these to what is posted above.

gb-spin-1.jpg

gb-spin-2.jpg

gb-spin-3.jpg

I'll take my large private aft balcony with unobstructed sweeping 180* views, thank you very much.

XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX

The solution to the image infringement is a periscope selfie extension pole - attach camera to pole and

extend pole far above the infringing madding crowd take multiple pictures or better yet if the camera has

video mode pan the scene in movie mode and cut splice photo shop the best image frame !

Think outside the box - heck - no - get on top of the soap box (box not provided) and shoot away !

Cavet keep a grip on the pole and camera assembly least the crawly creatures on the bottom have more

entertainment than they care to digest - those lithium batteries sure have an unusual flavor taste *** sparkling

electric shocking ultra violet !

gb-spin-1.jpg

gb-spin-2.jpg

gb-spin-3.jpg

The solution to the image infringement is a periscope selfie extension pole - attach camera to pole and

extend pole far above the infringing madding crowd take multiple pictures or better yet if the camera has

video mode pan the scene in movie mode and cut splice photo shop the best image frame !

Think outside the box - heck - no - get on top of the soap box (box not provided) and shoot away !

Cavet keep a grip on the pole and camera assembly least the crawly creatures on the bottom have more

entertainment than they care to digest - those lithium batteries sure have an unusual flavor taste !

Have you ever been to Glacier Bay? In my experience for Glacier Bay, cruise ships DO open the bow to passengers. It is an exception to the no passengers rule.

We have been on the Pearl / Glacier Bay several times, and yes, they do open the bow (the area normally off limits) at the Margerie Glacier, where the ship stops for about an hour and slowly rotates to give everyone a view.

We have been on the Pearl / Glacier Bay several times, and yes, they do open the bow (the area normally off limits) at the Margerie Glacier, where the ship stops for about an hour and slowly rotates to give everyone a view.

They actually open the bow up for a good deal of the inbound Glacier Bay transit as well, weather permitting. Here's a shot with the forward mast (out of focus) and whatever that other little thing is. Anyone know what that thing is? Never could find out...

gb-pearl-bow.jpg

Aft-facing cabins are fabulous. You will not "miss anything" from the aft. Glacier Bay is a day-long affair, and is is nice to move about the ship, but the aft views are among the best.

All of these shots were taken from our aft balcony on the Pearl. All in Glacier Bay...

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

What kind of camera and lens did you use?

They actually open the bow up for a good deal of the inbound Glacier Bay transit as well, weather permitting. Here's a shot with the forward mast (out of focus) and whatever that other little thing is. Anyone know what that thing is? Never could find out...

gb-pearl-bow.jpg

It's the soap dispenser. Obviously.

Was on the Pearl in 10166 in 2012 and had a great time in Glacier Bay. The view from deck 10 is great - you can see both starboard and port - plus the ranger's commentary allowed for the distance from the bridge to the stearn of the ship.

The balcony was also great when leaving Skagway, Ketchikan, and even Juneau - yes you miss the approach to those ports - but you get to bid a fond farewell. :)

I would not hesitate in booking any of the cabins on the stern of deck 10 - suite or balcony.

As a #2 location I would get a mini suite on deck 11.

Was on the Pearl in 10166 in 2012 and had a great time in Glacier Bay. The view from deck 10 is great - you can see both starboard and port - plus the ranger's commentary allowed for the distance from the bridge to the stearn of the ship.

The balcony was also great when leaving Skagway, Ketchikan, and even Juneau - yes you miss the approach to those ports - but you get to bid a fond farewell. :)

I would not hesitate in booking any of the cabins on the stern of deck 10 - suite or balcony.

I have this cabin in August. Purchased a new camera for the trip.

Don

Thank you! I already have 10168 all to myself, I just thought it might be nice to spend most of the day during glacier bay away from the crowds :) yay!

Of all of the deck 10 aft cabins the two outside suites would be my first choice - as you do have some forward visibility looking around the outside of the deck, followed by the next two suites, then the balconies.

Of all of the deck 10 aft cabins the two outside suites would be my first choice - as you do have some forward visibility looking around the outside of the deck, followed by the next two suites, then the balconies.

That sounds heavenly. Unfortunately since I am ditching everyone and traveling alone, the aft balcony is as high as my budget will let me go and still get a bunch of spa services :)